6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR unplugged...EPA limp mode?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Mwachel
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EGR unplugged...EPA limp mode?

I posted this in a thread about something else but I felt bad hi-jacking that thread so I wanted to start it's own thread.

I am not buying the EPA limp mode when the EGR is unplugged and here is why. Please correct me if I am off base here.

I was going up a hill today that makes my truck downshift EVERY time with the cruise control on at about 63mph with the EGR plugged in. Well, today I paid close attention and with the EGR unplugged at 63mph and cruise set it didn't downshift and didn't seem like it needed to.

Now...if the vanes are stuck in one postition then wouldn't that mean the boost would stay pretty much steady at a set rpm? I started going up the hill today and I heard the turbo whistle totally change pitch and the boost went from about 5psi to 22psi nice and smooth. My rpm didn't change more than 100rpm going up this hill...only the boost went up and it pulled the hill wonderfully. Doesn't that mean the vanes are still moving as needed?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:06 PM
vlietracer64
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Here is a part of the other post i read the info from first:
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset" itxtvisited="1">Originally Posted by KRDiesel
New info for everyone. When the 05e16 flash came out the ECM started looking for EGR flow on all 6.0's even the 03-04 models. If the MAF does not see a change in flow when the EGR is open it will assume something is wrong and use a different fuel table decreasing millage and performance. On the 02-04 this will not set a CEL but you are still using a "EPA Mode" The 05+ trucks have a different ECM that will set a CEL. This is a federal regulation to insure that the NOx reduction system is working. IF the system is not working then the software reduces max combustion temps to reduce NOx. SCT at this time cannot access the "EPA Mode" tables. They can turn off the CEL but not the table jump.

This effects all US
diesel light duty motors, not just ford.

Point of interest!! Do you remember about 18 months ago we had a recall for a new ECM code and if you did not get the code in some states you could not license your truck?? Well that was when we got the EGR code.

I am in the process of researching work arounds but at this time I am hiting a brick wall.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/69...ml#post5710481
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 AM
scameron
Senior User
my cooler is deleted, however i left the EGR valve in place and plugged in. i have more whistle from the turbo down low and a faster spool, but the psi top out at around 20. before i could go past 25 with ease and seemed to have more on top end.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:43 AM
northerndave
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm noticing the same in my 05

unplugged I get faster seat of the pants response out of the turbo on the low end but the bost tops out at 20 psi.

plugged in I get a kind of lazy low end but the total boost under accelration load will build over 20 psi

there is a sticker on top of my radiator shroud that says something about an update, maybe this is the flash mentioned above??

Old 03-05-2009, 09:18 AM
vlietracer64
Senior User
That is what was stated would happen when the vaines lock in one position during this susposedd "EPA MODE". You would get great low end but top out at high end.?.?.?.?

Old 03-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Mwachel
Senior User
Mine is going above 20psi with the EGR unplugged. What flash does everyone have? Mine was done in Feb 2009 so it's the most recent one that I know of.

Maybe the newer flash doesn't lock the vanes?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
6LPSD
Senior User
my experience with the egr disconnected was bad, my 05 ran with the egr dummy valved and also had the egr thing turned off in the computer by innovative, both made lots of boost low but not much on the high side. i also had the dealer say my turbo vanes were stuck/locked from this setup i had been running for 9mon. i currently have my x3 running either spartans free stock/tweaked and tow with turbo brake both are great with my truck truck boosts fine now better accel, and great mid top end power from these two.

the newer 05's have new strats in the ecm compared to the 03-04's. the new strats look for egr flow all the time (thanks epa) and if they see any drop or no egr flow they may or in my case not have any dtc or light pop up on the gauge cluster, this causes the turbo vanes to lock in i believe mid position causing high boost at lower rpm and lower boost at high rpms. over time this causes the vanes to stick and lock in this position from lack of vgt movement which causes overboost, turbo farting and what not. i believe the current sct if not all flash programer devices cant delete the egr issue within the engine ecm. what we need is a data logger program to log typical egr valve function, ebp pressures, intake air temp sensor data, map data, and make the engine think it sees the egr syatem working properly and this wart should be fixed once and for all. if i am wrong with any of this please fill me in on any new info out there.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:31 AM
northerndave
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
so, if I modded my up tube to be a straight shot to the turbo with no branch leading through the egr cooler to my valve... or plugged the egr cooler blocking exhaust gas flow... but left my valve in place and plugged in, would that work? or will the ecm detect low egr flow some other way even with the valve opening & closing on the dead port?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 PM
hangon2me
Senior User
I was getting 25-32PSI Boost all the time, with stock tunes, with the EGR blocked, plugged in or un-plugged no difference.

Now with Spartin's Aggressive Street Economy, I barely hit 25PSI. w/EGT's under 1200.

Stock tunes seem to run much hotter, more Boost and way less power.

If there is the EGR sensor (everone is taking about), where is it?

How can the low flow or no flow throw it into limp mode, just does not add up.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Mwachel
Senior User
I am still interested...

If my vanes are fixed in one position then will the boost not change if the RPM's are steady? My boost goes from 5 up to 22 when going up a hill...the RPM's don't move more than 100.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So theoretically I would be running less boost with the egr unplugged with my sct? Would this prolong stock tty bols and headgaskets? I unplugged mine and got better low end and was happy about that

Old 03-05-2009, 02:16 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mwachel
I am still interested...

If my vanes are fixed in one position then will the boost not change if the RPM's are steady? My boost goes from 5 up to 22 when going up a hill...the RPM's don't move more than 100.
When you go up the hill the power required changes, even if the rpms stay the same. Fuel increases, which makes more exhaust, which turns the turbo faster and creates more boost.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Mwachel
Senior User
Originally Posted by cartmanea
When you go up the hill the power required changes, even if the rpms stay the same. Fuel increases, which makes more exhaust, which turns the turbo faster and creates more boost.
Thanks for the clarification. I love these forums.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Mwachel
Senior User
Today I was driving up a nice hill getting on the freeway. I got on it pretty good and my boost went up to 25psi.

EPA is not limiting my boost to 20 as far as I can tell.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:29 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I can usually hit 28 to 29 psi stock, I don't have a tuner, when I unplugged the egr valve and drove around, the truck had a hard time hitting 26psi. I felt more low end and less high end. I ran like this for around 800 miles before I decided it was better to leave the darn thing plugged in.

Quick Reply: EGR unplugged...EPA limp mode?