1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fiberglass Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:18 PM
twise
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiberglass Fenders

Hi, has anyone purchased aftermarket fiberglass fenders, I may be on the verge of buying some but would like to hear from anyone who may have purchased some in the past. How was the quality and how did they fit. I have a new project (52 F1) that is in pretty good shape but has some rusted areas where the lower front fender meets up with the upper fender and I am afraid that I will not be able to produce the exact curvature at that area. I would really like to use what I have but am afraid it won't work. Maybe someone may have a set of original fenders in good shape they might want to part with. If you do let me know. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:59 PM
49fordf1
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hi,
i purchased my glass fenders 19? ish yrs ago.. at that time they were an awefull fit...rediculously bad. i bolted them up to the best of my ability. fast forward the 19-20 yrs...and ive got the truck in pieces again, and still dealing w/ the fenders..my skills have gotten a little better...but its still work. NOW!... i did purchase rear glass fenders recently..and they seem to be so so much better... but ofcourse the rear fenders dont have as many curves and angles...
ive heard some people claim they simply bought the fenders and bolted them on.. i wish i could say the same. maybe someone that has bought some recently (fronts) can jump in and give u more advice... i might have just had a poorly made set???

Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Henry Burnside
New User
fiberglass fenders

I purchase a pair of 48 50 front fenders from Early Ford 2 weeks aao and the left fender was about 1 inch tall in front over headlight opening and 3/4 to long called Bepops who made fenders and said never seen that before. I am cutting fender and reworking to fit. If to buy again I would buy Fairlane Glass fenders have heard better feedback on thiers.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 PM
twise
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. I was just looking at the Fairlane site and they do look like the best I have seen so far and reasonably priced. I also seen the pictures of some of trucks that customers have sent in and I could tell no difference by looking at the pics. Thanks

Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I have glass and fit is very good overall, I think you need to expect to have to work the area around the grill especially on any of them. The thickness of glass compared to steel has to be accounted for. Mine are from Gibbons, which I believe is out of business now. Bebops has the best reputation IMO. I have Fairlane's glass running boards and they are generally good, very strong and drop-in fit.

Twise, don't go by pictures, they aren't going to show you the ones they pulled out of the mold too fast!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 AM
twise
Senior User
Hey Ross, I was looking at your photo gallery and noticed that on your 52 that your upper and lower fender has damage in the same area as mine, mine had been dented in the same location and now has alot of rust to the point I probably need to replace. Did you repair your fenders or are the replacement glass? thanks just wondering because your truck looks great.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:45 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i`ve got a `55 and have both front and back fenders from bebops, the fit and finish is really good!, i`ve got the back ones mounted and they fit perfectly, the front one wee laid in and seem to follow all the lines, i have hood issues so i haven`t bolted them up yet.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by twise
Hey Ross, I was looking at your photo gallery and noticed that on your 52 that your upper and lower fender has damage in the same area as mine, mine had been dented in the same location and now has alot of rust to the point I probably need to replace. Did you repair your fenders or are the replacement glass? thanks just wondering because your truck looks great.
I tried to make a patch for this, gave up. All my fenders are glass.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
my rears are bebops, widened glass. fit & finish was perfect..

sam

Old 03-05-2009, 08:40 AM
twise
Senior User
Sounds like I will be checking out Bebops. One of my fenders looks just like yours Ross except I have a good size dent at the seam of the upper and lower. Trying to use the originals is not going to happen. Just too much rust and damage right on the curves. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:41 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
....or you could do what my PO did, just slather bondo all over it about 1/2" thick and paint it with rustoleum...

Old 03-05-2009, 08:50 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm i have been entertaining those thoughts to make the body work a little easier , especially the rears , and sell my steel ones . maybe i should think again .. last fiberglass set we had tim was on a dirt car , and i got them from fiberglass unlimited if i 'member right . wasn't the greatest but wasn't bad . thought it'd be easier to repair than messing with steel all the time . yeah right .... first good shot and they wwere JUNK !!!! let me know what yer doing tim as i work with a guy who's got a 51 and no bed or front clip , might be able to sell yours to him .

Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Scott123
Elder User
I have about 11 years on a set of 1 piece front fenders from Fairlane on my '51. I had to rework the bottom front a little to add some material, as the lower front splash pan hung down a bout a half inch more than the fenders. Simple fix. One thing I would do different is put a generous amount of bedliner or undercoat on them, since I have a few "stars" in the paint from rocks thrown up by the tires and hitting underneath. Even though the fiberglass is fairly thick it can still get popped enough to star the paint, but some rubber coating would probably dampen the shock a lot more. I have a coat on it now just sprayed on, but on the rear steel fenders I used the roll on kind that is very thick and they don't have any stars.

Last edited by Scott123; 03-05-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott123
I have about 11 years on a set of 1 piece front fenders from Fairlane on my '51. I had to rework the bottom front a little to add some material, as the lower front splash pan hung down a bout a half inch more than the fenders. Simple fix. One thing I would do different is put a generous amount of bedliner or undercoat on them, since I have a few "stars" in the paint from rocks thrown up by the tires and hitting underneath. Even though the fiberglass is fairly thick it can still get popped enough to star the paint, but some rubber coating would probably dampen the shock a lot more. I have a coat on it now just sprayed on, but on the rear steel fenders I used the roll on kind that is very thick and they don't have any stars.
I used the chip guard that is sprayed on production cars, the bottom of the fenders/doors..

clear, invisible.

Sam

Old 03-05-2009, 08:58 AM
twise
Senior User
your right on the undercoating, i have a 96 dually that rocks have done that too. there was actually a recall to have a thick pad installed under the rear fenders. hey kevin, i will let you know what i decide on doing with the fenders. if they could be salvaged i would use them though. i knew before i bought the truck that there were going to be hidden issues, i seen the paint bubbling and just assumed, but i don't care, this is what i love to do for some dumb reason.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Fenders