Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Senior User

skoveng is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Slip Yoke Grease Fitting Mod

Two weeks ago I dropped the rear torque tube (drive shaft) and performed the grease fitting modification to the slip yoke. The job took me about 45 minutes from start to finish.

I don't know what the heck I waited so long for. I put up with the truck shuttering when pulling out for about four years.

Now it is smooth and makes it a pleasure pulling out from a stop.

If you are thinking about it, DO IT!

Things I used:

12mm 12 point 3/8 socket to drop the shaft at the rear pinion (make sure you mark it's position both at the yoke are rear pinion). Just cut the band on the rubber boot at the slip yoke, no need to remove the band at the carrier bearing yoke stub.

Drill press with a letter "D" drill bit.

1/16-27 pipe tap.

standard grease fitting and grease.

How I did it:

I drilled the yoke just above where the slip tube joins the yoke arms. I then hosed out the yoke to remove any chips and blew it out with shop air.

Installed the grease fitting.

Install the drive shaft.

Greased the heck out of it.

I then used a wire-ty to secure the boot back onto the yoke.

All is well

Last edited by skoveng; 03-04-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2009, 12:25 PM
PAA Member #7 and FTE

twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanks for the writeup. I just might go out and do this when it warms up. 20 is way too cold right now.
PAA Member #7
Old 03-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Jäger

Kep4 has a brilliant futureKep4 has a brilliant futureKep4 has a brilliant futureKep4 has a brilliant futureKep4 has a brilliant futureKep4 has a brilliant futureKep4 has a brilliant futureKep4 has a brilliant futureKep4 has a brilliant futureKep4 has a brilliant futureKep4 has a brilliant future
Thanks for the concise write up. Rep 2U.
'05 F250 Lariat CCSB 4X4 6.0 - Sold 4/26/11 w/96,500 miles
Old 03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
It would be nice to see a PIC of the finished job.....so we could see EXACTLY where you drilled/placed the grease fitting on the yoke.

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Senior User

I'll take a picture and post it in my album and give the link.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Postmaster

1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold
Good info, reps sent. I'm looking forward to the pics

I greased mine a while back and was considering a grease fitting but didn't do it. I'll probably do it next time it needs greased.

Click - My Super Duty Tech Articles
1975 Baja Bronco Project
1984 Ranger 4x4 R.I.P Nov 2007
Old 03-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Posting Guru

DAVE67FD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here is the link to the tech article write up with pics. It doesn't include any pics or procedures of the zerck fitting installation that Skoveng did.

Slip joint regreasing

"06" F-250 XLT/SC/LB/FX4/5.4L/ 6-SPD man.
man.transfer & hubs/HD service front springs/rear swaybar/Line-X/"BLACK"

"04" Escape Limited/"BLACK"
"00" Mustang V6/"BLACK"
"71" Bronco, 302, "BLACK/RED"
"67" Fairlane 500 Conv./289 HI-PO/"RED"
Ohh Ya Almost Forgot-"96" Nissan Pathfinder/"BLACK"
Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Senior User

Take a look and let me know if you guys can see the photo; first time I tried to add one.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Posting Guru

camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey that an interesting idea! The only thing I would watch would be don't go crazy when you inject the grease, as if you fill it too full, when the driveshaft starts to move forward under power, the grease won't compress and you may damage something. I wonder how well the grease will migrate to all the splines...
Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Senior User

Back in the day ('70's), the slip yokes would come with the grease fittings in them. Never had a problem with too much grease, it always found a way out around the splines. But you never know; pump the gun a dozen times and take it for a ride. You can always pump in some more.

I can tell you the driveability is a lot better.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Posting Guru

camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.
Oh, I was just thinking out loud. Were you able to find teflon grease in an injectable tube? I can't seem to find it whenever I look...
Old 03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Senior User

I used the old fashion grease.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Postmaster

1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE67FD View Post
Here is the link to the tech article write up with pics. It doesn't include any pics or procedures of the zerck fitting installation that Skoveng did.

Slip joint regreasing
Before I did mine, I looked at the eurekaboy write up and my driveshaft was different than his, so I did a write up on what mine was like.

2004 F250 Slip Yoke Service

As shown on my page, I used Valvoline Durablend grease on mine. So far its holding up well.

Click - My Super Duty Tech Articles
1975 Baja Bronco Project
1984 Ranger 4x4 R.I.P Nov 2007
Old 03-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Posting Guru

high ho silver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Rep points given....Thanks!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Elder User

rwilimo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja View Post
Before I did mine, I looked at the eurekaboy write up and my driveshaft was different than his, so I did a write up on what mine was like.

2004 F250 Slip Yoke Service

As shown on my page, I used Valvoline Durablend grease on mine. So far its holding up well.
Very nice job on your write up!

I wonder about the grease fitting idea that others have talked about, as far as I know the slip joints that have a fitting also have a groove around the circumference to allow grease to flow to all the splines.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:23 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2000, end, f150, f250, fittings, ford, grease, install, joint, points, ranger, rear, regreasing, slip, superduty, yoke