1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Running board bracket differences

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Running board bracket differences

While scavenging through my parts, I came upon two sets of four running board brackets. I thought that all running board brackets were created equal, but upon closer inspection, I found them to be different. One set is longer than the other.

Does any one know why they're different? Used on different model trucks, i.e. Panel vs F1, or F2 vs F6, etc.??? I looked underneath my Panel trucks and found the brackets to be the same as the longer one pictured. However, I don't have an F1 or larger truck to compare them to.

Please help me solve this mystery.

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:33 PM
gearhead1952
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The long ones with the four holes fit panel trucks, F4 thru F6 and F1 with the shorty boards. Basically the short boards need those brackets.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Long ones are for a panel, short ones are for F1. Not sure about F2 thru F6........T/M

Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Ilya,

We had this discussion a few months ago. It seems the panels, and conventional cabbed trucks with short running boards had different running board brackets than the pickups with the long running boards. I never knew this until I think it was Gear Up brought it to my attention. I went out to the garage and measured the running board brackets on my panel, which has the pickup chassis under it and no running boards yet, and then I went down in back of the farm and measured the running board brackets on the other panel, the one with the original panel truck chassis. They were different. I also measured the bracket on the F-4 and found them to be the same as the actual panels brackets.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Dennis, I thought was you that brought the fact to my attention. I was searching the forum to find the post but couldn't find it. I would have posted sooner but I was doing the search.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Ilya,

We had this discussion a few months ago. It seems the panels, and conventional cabbed trucks with short running boards had different running board brackets than the pickups with the long running boards. I never knew this until I think it was Gear Up brought it to my attention. I went out to the garage and measured the running board brackets on my panel, which has the pickup chassis under it and no running boards yet, and then I went down in back of the farm and measured the running board brackets on the other panel, the one with the original panel truck chassis. They were different. I also measured the bracket on the F-4 and found them to be the same as the actual panels brackets.
It must have been during my hiatus (sp?).

Thanks for the explanation everyone.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I dont know the answer, but that is an interesting tape measure you got there! 1/8" increments? looks like my Keson engineers "pocket rod" only its graduated in hundreths of a foot. I didn't know they would have made them in inches. seems foreign.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:48 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jmadsen
I dont know the answer, but that is an interesting tape measure you got there! 1/8" increments? looks like my Keson engineers "pocket rod" only its graduated in hundreths of a foot. I didn't know they would have made them in inches. seems foreign.
It is a Keson, made is Japan, "pocket rod". Standard issue/use in the auto collision appraisal industry. Easy to see the numbers and divisions.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
It is a Keson, made is Japan, "pocket rod". Standard issue/use in the auto collision appraisal industry. Easy to see the numbers and divisions.

A joke going around our office (Engineering/Surveying) say's that inches are for w h ores and Architects, oh NO and now auto collision appraisals too! I'm sorry that was not cool I'm sure i will pay for that one