6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:21 PM
ErikN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal?

Hello everyone... This is my first post, glad to find these forums!!

Ive had my 08 250 diesle truck for a year now, it has an automatic transmission... and its in at the dealers again.

First off, its going into regen daily... one day it went into regen 5 times. Yes yes i know to let it complete the cycle, its done a full cycle on the highway, at 65 mph... then later that night, it went into regen again. The dealer is trying to tell me that its normal for it to regen DAILY... is that true?

Second. I have an auto tranny, if i put it into 3rd, according to what i understand in the manual, it should be in 3rd. Therefore if i leave from a stop, it should feel doggy... shouldnt it? If i put it in 1st or 3rd from a stop, it acts exactly the same. It wont shift, and i get up to 30 mph and its wound up tight... am i missunderstanding how this thing works?

Old 03-03-2009, 02:08 PM
ctownson
Senior User
On the first issue, no way it should regen every day. Even with around town driving, you should go at least a full tank of gas before a regen. With a mix of driving around town and highway, maybe a few tanks of gas before a regen. A lot depends on your driving habits and other factors.

I have not tried mine as you describe in the 2nd issue. Sounds like it is in 1st gear to me rather than 3rd?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Regens have to do with mileage and driving habits. Ford says regens should occur between 200 and 600 miles. Mine is around 300. I'm assuming you're not putting hundreds of miles per day on your truck and that it is in regen mode much more than it should be. It needs to be checked by a technician that knows his/her stuff.

As to the shifter/transmission issue, I have no idea.

Ctownson, if you're putting gas in that tank, that'll really screw things up. I don't think a full tank of diesel fuel or more is anywhere close to my experience. I'll regen three times in two tanks in empty driving and more often towing.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:04 AM
ctownson
Senior User
No gas - too many years on my old brain!! I am getting a regen about every 2 tanks with a combination of city and highway driving, usually between 400-600 miles. Am getting the newest flash installed this week so will see if that changes.

The transmission is an odd one. I put mine in 3rd yesterday and drove down the road at 40mph, rpms were a little over 2000. In 1st, rpms go to 2000 before you get to 20mph.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
there is a problem somewhere with the sensors or DPF. Something is telling it to go into regen when it doesn't needed. Maybe the DPF is alreay clogged. But if that was truely the case the PCM should be telling you to service the DPF. They will need to take it off and look at it.

I am down in GA right now, 700 miles, one regen.

As far as your tranny, If you place it in 3rd, then start from a stop, it will still start in 1st, then 2nd and 3rd will be the limit.
Same as if you select 1st then the trans will not shift up till you move the selector to another gear.

Why would you be doing this anyway? I cannot see that serves any real purpose unless you are going down hill with a load and the tow/haul feature is either not installed on your truck or is not giving you the control you desire.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:38 AM
ErikN
New User
Well there is no real reason to do this, i just noticed it one day when i was put it into 3 accidentally. Other trucks ive had (gas chevs) would do as you explained. You put it in 3 from a stop, and it will start in 1st and upshift as necessairy... but if you read the owners manual, that is not how it explains it. As it explains, you may choose to start off in 2nd in low traction situations, effectivly reducing the torque you are putting to the ground.

They put the newest flash into it yesterday, i pick it up today... i hope this time its better. this will be the 3rd re-programming. Im just going to look into a DPF delete, sounds like the HP gains are worth it anyway... does any one know if that gives it the old hainous diesle smell?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:26 PM
BREZH
New User
Mine has done the multiple regens just once so far, it started with a fueling, put on about 200 miles and then it started regen everytime I got into it. Ran that tank down and put in a fresh tank from another station, it was still in regen when leaving the station, so I took it out on the highway and let if finish, 12.9 miles later it cleaned up. Came back to town and everything has been back to normal.

As far as a reason for starting off in 3rd, I do this quite frequently in the winter on ice and snow. It does make a difference as far as spinning the tires. In 3rd I can usually get moving more quickly without spin, versus Drive.

BB

08' F-250 CC 6.4l

Old 03-05-2009, 07:43 AM
ErikN
New User
Well... its all straight now. For some reason the transmition was "stuck" in 2nd no matter what gear i selected (3,2,1). I can tell that now by putting it in the various gears and seeing what speed it hits what rpm... the dealer said they didnt do anything to it, but they did re-program the truck with the newest flash... so, whatever!!

Thanks for everyones time!!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:24 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they didnt do the TCM reflash last time. Anyway, glad to hear its better now.