1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Dealer Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 PM
truthbeknown
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Dealer Question

Thanks for taking a look...I've been lurking for the past month and I'm now in the market for a F-250 6.4 PowerStroke. I live in Santa Monica and I need to get some good advice on a straight, upfront (as much as they can be) dealership. Customer service and strong knowledge of the engine are primarily what I'm looking for. Of course price is always important, but I need to know that the mechanics understand the nuts/bolts.

Thanks in advance,

JW

Old 03-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talk to the service manager, then.

Look out back. If there are some 6.4L waiting service you can be assured that they at least know something about the engine. If there are a LOT of them out back you may either want to look at a V10 or another dealership.

Check out the Californian chapters down below and see if you can get some specific recommendations for dealers.

I would also arm yourself with as much information as to discounts, rebates, various plans offered before you walk into the showroom.

I like to walk the lot the night before when its closed and pick out what I want to buy, go home and do my homework and then go buy it the next day.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off welcome to the site...you will get lots of info on trucks. You might want to check out the diesel section for more info on the 6.4. But I would not be afraid of looking at a V10 as well. Myself and 5 other guys I know all have V10s, ranging from 99 thru 05. All have been kind to us owners with the exception of exhaust manifold bolts snapping off.
But as for finding out how good a dealership is at service, ask the service manager first. Then ask him if there are any mechanics that specialize in the diesels. A few dealerships around me have 1 or 2 guys that work mostly on diesels. If they have someone that does all the diesel work, ask if you can speak to him as well to see how knowledgable he is. Also see if they have any accounts that can give a good referance for their work.

But you will soon find that this site is very good for finding information out. Post in the California chapter that you are looking for a good dealership and you will probably get a few hits. Like I said earlier, check out the diesel section as well for feedback on the 6.4

Old 03-03-2009, 08:11 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome, although people usually don't post good things about there truck unless asked, I have heard and read lots of bad things about the 6.4 Personally I just traded in my 6.0 due to problems and cost of maintenance. At this time I would not even consider a diesel with the cost of fuel and the extra $6,000 for it. I purchased the 5.4 for local driving, plowing, and pulling my mowers and its fine. If you intend to do heavy hauling I would consider the v10. Either way with the gas engine you can have it serviced anywhere for alot less $$$.