1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Underbed sparetire mount?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:25 AM
53rat
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Cadillac Cover"....I like it. And that color looks amazing, excellent choice!!!

I'm still hopeing to get an orginal mount. Most likely I'll have to get longer mounting bolts, considering the wheel and tire combo I'm going with will be much wider than stock.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 53rat
"Cadillac Cover"....I like it. And that color looks amazing, excellent choice!!!

I'm still hopeing to get an orginal mount. Most likely I'll have to get longer mounting bolts, considering the wheel and tire combo I'm going with will be much wider than stock.
Tee hee, I saw a set of fender skirts (you know like the guys put on the Mercs to fill up the opening in the rear fender for the wheel) I was thinking about getting just for laughs. I have two "Eldorado" chrome emblems off a "Caddy" I was going to put on them just to **** off the local "Chebby" guys - but decided there's limits for ones dignity.... I can only get "so" cheezy!

The link for LMC and the repro wheel carrier is listed in my post above if you can't find an old one.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:52 AM
53rat
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, the "Chebby" emblems might be a little much. I'm all for trickin' out a ride with parts from other manufactures, but please...please don't advertise it. Definitely a cheezy factor. But sense you mentioned it I do remember seeing skirts designed specifically for our trucks, I don't remember which catalog it was from, (I've been looking through tons of them lately) or I would post a link for you.

BY the way did you do something with your fenders (other then the dent cover)? They look different in some way but I can't put my finger on it.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:35 PM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Actually, the picture I posted is of one I collected when I was gathering ideas for my truck. As the stock mount is, it is perpendicular to the frame but offset by about 5 degrees. One bolt anchors the set up and the other one locks it in place. When the lock bolt wing nut is removed, the mount will swivel out a little allowing access to the tire.

On my truck, I got a flat tire once and realized a couple things. Driving home from a flight in a shirt and heels in the rain is not the time to be on your knees behind your truck on the freeway reaching for that danged spare.

So, my dad built this on the passenger side about a year (or two) ago (just got the Continental kit back from chrome!) for me. It used to be a stock fender (trivia: there were no indented back fenders on 1/2 ton Ford pick-ups until 1956 - true- others were either modified from existing fenders or replaced by 56/larger truck fenders.)

The fender dish has the original piece that was cut out of it, it has pins on it and can be reinstalled to make the fender look whole, when the spare is not on the truck. I call it the "Cadillac Cover" (to go with the Continental Kit - cute huh?)

That turquoise (1953 Olds "Royal Marine Blue") and White are my final colors by the way.
Julie, very nice colors, are you going to chrome the tire mount or paint it the color of the truck?

Old 03-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
I'm going to leave it white. My truck color scheme is for it to be all the Royal Marine color except for the drip rail, grille, stake pockets, tire carrier, and "Ford" logo on the tail gate. (And as you can see a dash of white on the Continental Cover.

These were the colors of my 55 and I loved it. My old late 40s boat is also painted in these colors so they match up.

Here's a picture of my 55 with the boat in the late 80s!

I still have the boat, but it needs to be restored again! After the 51!

I think the 51 will look great with a similar paint scheme! I have chrome bumpers this time though.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:41 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Hey, Julie, nice '55! And I Like those "West Coast" mirrors. Too bad you don't have your 55 anymore.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:52 PM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Julie, nice boat, what year and who built it. I'm a big wooden boat fan.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend

Well, just a tidbit of History! My dad was a Navy Program Officer assigned to coordinate the Convair XFY-1 (Seadart) and XF2Y-1 (Pogo) projects at Convair in San Diego. While he was there, some of the guys in the pattern making shop actually built a mold based on the ELCO (one of Convairs sister companies) PT boats of WWII fame. They were casting hulls out of the left over experimental fiberglass composites used on the Seadarts skis. (they never did find a successful ski design by the way).

Anyway, these few (maybe 2 dozen) hulls were bought by folks close to the program and finished with flat head six engines installed backwards and direct driven off the balance by way of two gears and a huge bicycle type chain. They were known in Southern California as The Convair Boats and were the core of the San Diego Speedboat Club in the early to mid 1950s.

My dad bought the first hull and built that boat out of it in 1948/49. There is a very strong possibility that it was the first fiberglass "speedboat" in California.

Here are some pictures of it at NAS Moffet Field in 1952ish (I think) when they were doing the teathered Pogo Flights inside Hanger ONE!

I can tell it's not quite done yet becaus ther are no hull numbers on it, and the nose support on the trailor hasn't been installed yet. Look at the tires on the trailor, the single tail light, and my dads old car (which was brand new in the pictures). How would you like to have that now!

Still wish I had my 55! Sold it about a year after the picutres were taken for $1500...makes me sick to think about it.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:56 PM
rockher_man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up spare...

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Actually, the picture I posted is of one I collected when I was gathering ideas for my truck. As the stock mount is, it is perpendicular to the frame but offset by about 5 degrees. One bolt anchors the set up and the other one locks it in place. When the lock bolt wing nut is removed, the mount will swivel out a little allowing access to the tire.

On my truck, I got a flat tire once and realized a couple things. Driving home from a flight in a shirt and heels in the rain is not the time to be on your knees behind your truck on the freeway reaching for that danged spare.

So, my dad built this on the passenger side about a year (or two) ago (just got the Continental kit back from chrome!) for me. It used to be a stock fender (trivia: there were no indented back fenders on 1/2 ton Ford pick-ups until 1956 - true- others were either modified from existing fenders or replaced by 56/larger truck fenders.)

The fender dish has the original piece that was cut out of it, it has pins on it and can be reinstalled to make the fender look whole, when the spare is not on the truck. I call it the "Cadillac Cover" (to go with the Continental Kit - cute huh?)

That turquoise (1953 Olds "Royal Marine Blue") and White are my final colors by the way.

...OK Julie...this one goes in the James Bond file,,,Kool......