6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bad steering box

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 AM
GREATWHITEHUNTER
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad steering box

I posted in the steering forum but no replies so I'll try here:
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start -->I'm looking for advice on a steering deadband issue I'm having on my superduty. I've taken the truck to three different dealers about the front end wander at highway speeds. They all take it for a road test on on back roads and tell me it's seems normal and all the frontend parts are 100%,I tell them that the issue really reveals itself at highway speed but none seem to listen (another story). I've got new ball joint and lots of a new front end parts like sway bars and bushings. I also have a new steering stabilizer. I notice it most when I'm at highway (65-75) it seems that there's a dead band while going in a straight line. I can turn the wheel an inch or so either direction before I feel direction change or any resistance in the steering wheel. Being in New England the frost heaves are bad this time of years so bumps a plenty. This makes bump steer a constant issue and the dead spot in the steering makes it quite hairy with a 25' Gooseneck in tow. I really feel that the steering box is going south but I'm not mechanic. I want to get to the bottom of this asap due to the safety factor. I've been told there's some adjustment of calibration to the steering box could anyone provide any direction on this. Thanks

Matt

Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
toolman05kr
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, it happened on my 04 Exc. bad steering box. at the same time I also put in a new HD steering stabilizer. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:24 PM
GREATWHITEHUNTER
Junior User
Are the gear boxes generally expensive? I've gotten prices from 1k to 150. Can I replace it myself, or is it complicated and best lest to the pro? So the symtoms I described at text book bad steering box?

Matt

Old 03-02-2009, 06:30 PM
DJR96
Senior User
Wink

Sounds like one of two things, both in the steering box.

Jack the front up and see if there is any movement with the pitman arm sector shaft. If this is moving you should be able to adjust it out. Loosen the lock nut and use an allen key to turn the preload bolt clockwise until you feel a slight increase in resistance when turning it. Do this with the wheels straight ahead. Check that the steering wheel still turns freely enough before driving off.

Otherwise it could be the springs in the powersteering valve assembly itself. In which case I think you'll be up for a new box.

I've got a thread here somewhere about porting a steering box with pictures of one dis-assembled. Helps to better understand them.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ering-box.html

Also check your panhard/track rod. It's pretty solid and shouldn't be the issue, but........

Old 03-02-2009, 06:39 PM
toolman05kr
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is not so uncommon when the truck is on rough roads. And unless you have the tools and experience, take it to a pro. also, just a thought, have the front wheel caster checked, too much positive caster can also cause the truck to wander at high speeds and seem unstable.
Larry

Old 03-02-2009, 06:51 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by GREATWHITEHUNTER
Are the gear boxes generally expensive? I've gotten prices from 1k to 150. Can I replace it myself, or is it complicated and best lest to the pro? So the symtoms I described at text book bad steering box?

Matt

Whoa! Don't replace your box just yet...there may be a very simple way to correct your problem. There is an adjustment screw on top of the steering box that you can use to take the slack out. All you need is an allen wrench and a box-end wrench to fit over the lock nut (sorry, but I can't remember the exact sizes).

First of all, this can be a PITA to reach, but it isn't very difficult. First, loosen the lock nut with the box-end wrench. Next, use the allen wrench to tighten the adjusting screw while holding the lock nut in place with the box-end wrench. Tighten the adjusting screw until you hit resistance and can no longer tighten it (if it goes several turns, this is a good sign that this will fix the issue). Then, back it out about 1/2-3/4 of a turn. Now, hold the adjusting screw in place with the allen wrench and tighten the lock nut with the box-end wrench.

I had the same problem on my '04, and this cured it. My dad had the same problem on his '00 and this fixed it as well.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 PM
GREATWHITEHUNTER
Junior User
Does anyone have a pic of the adjustment screw and locknut? As for checking the pitman arm I assume this is with the truck off parked correct?

Matt

Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Sorry, I don't have any pics, but it should be pretty easy to feel with your hands. Like I said, it is on top of the steering box. I usually access it from underneath the truck. I can't remember, but I think the lock nut takes somewhere around a 15mm wrench, give or take. You will just have to try different allen wrenches to find the right size.

I would be pretty confident that this is what is ailing your steering, especially since you have already replaced so many of the other components. What you are describing is pretty much exactly what my '04 was doing before I made the adjustment on it.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:36 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
http://www.ply33.com/Repair/images/steering-2.jpg

This is a link that has a picture of a steering box (no idea what kind of vehicle) with the adjustment screw and lock nut labeled. The biggest difference will be that the adjustment screw in the picture takes a flat head screwdriver and yours takes an allen wrench.