Sponsored by: DP Tuner

PCM Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
F-1CLEVELAND
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCM Failure

So like most tuned 7.3 I was reflashing the pcm in a parking lot and the pcm fuse gave up the ghost! The pcm decided to go the way of the dodo and is now a wheel choch. Has anyone managed to get the 275 hp manual trans software in a pcm with an auto trans. Or is there a resonable price performance pcm tht is stackable with a flash tuner.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:05 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you cant flash a hand shaker tune on a auto truck..the PCM thinks for the trans..get a new used pcm from carparts.com and send it to Jody at DP tuner..for $75 he can flash any tune you want on there...

Old 03-02-2009, 03:26 AM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
...you cant flash a hand shaker tune on a auto truck ...the PCM thinks for the trans...
Actually you can do this and then run the 4R100 from a TCS or some other controller. Jody said that would be one way of satisfying my desire for complete control over my auto tranny. After I road tested Jody's modified tune I found it gave me enough of the features that I was after that I never pursued a full up manual option.

I'll bet F-1 actually has a manual and just said PCM instead of ECM!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that makes sense Gene..thanks..the way i read it..he had a auto truck and was flashing a hand shaker tune onto it...i do know you can run a auto PCM in a hand shaker..but you cant run the hand shaker on a auto without other mods..its not a simple swap..

Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Has anyone managed to get the 275 hp manual trans software in a pcm with an auto trans.
If you think this is going to give you more power, think again. That 275 hp rating that Ford gave the manual trucks is a bogus number. Both autos and manuals will dyno almost identical numbers. Add a chip or tuner, and the peak hp at the dyno will also be about the same.

Or is there a resonable price performance pcm tht is stackable with a flash tuner
No such thing. Any performance tune you flash to the PCM will always be overwritten by a chip or another programmer. There is no such thing as stacking on a PSD.

The only things that can be stacked are things like ICP foolers. But that's old school technology, since any chip or programmer can now control ICP through tuning. So now even that kind of stacking doesn't work anymore if you are tuned correctly.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
F-1CLEVELAND
Freshman User
So forgot to mention I work for a dealer. My primary is HD diesel (CAT MERCEDES SO on) Im going to attempt to flash the box as a blank with our ford IDS hope to revive. This is an auto truck. Looking to make the swap to pre primer fire injectors.. Like to just do the software change.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
What year truck?

Old 03-02-2009, 11:25 AM
F-1CLEVELAND
Freshman User
2001 F-350 A/T 3.73axle 4X4 staight pipe 4" and did have a Diablo programmer

Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Ok, if you are referring to "pre primer fire injectors" as split-shot injectors, your 2001 already has that in stock form. Programming changes are needed if you decide to swap over to single shots.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:52 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by F-1CLEVELAND
...My primary is HD diesel (CAT MERCEDES SO on)...
Do you know if my April 2004 build date 300 HP CAT C7 ECM can be flashed with an older 300 HP 3126e program to gain the increased MPG with the non 2003 emissions tune?

Old 03-02-2009, 04:21 PM
F-1CLEVELAND
Freshman User
Tell me if you have an HEP or CKM prefix serial number. I've uped CKM which has an external (In PSD slang) IPR and the HEP is the newer pump style with an internal IPR. Trust me I cant remember all my year date and model breaks. If your thinking of the injectors responding to pre split shot programming. Yes it works. on Cat. Get me the serial and I'll pull the cat dyno sheet and tell you just about anything you want to know.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:25 PM
F-1CLEVELAND
Freshman User
My refrence to the software is to take my split shot to the single shot. who cares about the noise anyways!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:12 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by F-1CLEVELAND
Tell me if you have an HEP or CKM prefix serial number. I've uped CKM which has an external (In PSD slang) IPR and the HEP is the newer pump style with an internal IPR. Trust me I cant remember all my year date and model breaks. If your thinking of the injectors responding to pre split shot programming. Yes it works. on Cat. Get me the serial and I'll pull the cat dyno sheet and tell you just about anything you want to know.
My engine S/N is KAL37361 and it's a 300 HP tune. I guess a 330 HP flash might be ok but I'm mainly interested in getting a flash prior to the 2003 emissions standard so I can replace my CAT muffler which literally has a CAT inside with a free flowing muffler. I've read where several have tried this with the OEM tune and gotten ECM error codes.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
F-1CLEVELAND
Freshman User
Kal serials have been our latest fun. There is no calibration or infered values that can moniter exhaust flow so a straight pipe is possible at your discretion. The biggest things I stress to my customers with that serial range is to maintain oil change intervals shorter than 7000 miles and keep an eye on fuel pressure. There is a checkvalve regulator at the rear of the cylinderhead that is often prone to failure. remove it with a 7/8 wrench and if the center portion is protruding at all its bad. It should be recesed.. The part number is 294-8620 and the seal ring is either 214-7568 or 214-7567 cant remember them all. The serial you have should have a fuel pressure sensor but some mfg have opted not. The ecm uses software that not only has split shot but works up to five shots and the injectors actualy are physicaly diff than pre 03. Cats biggest fault with the engine was the ecm calibrations had limited injector compensation for wear this combined with fuel pressure issues and lack of f/p sensor and fuel map derate lead to seveare injector performance complaints. Ill ohm out some injector selonoids that I have and see if they compare. If they ohm the same and the ecm pin location works the HEP serial 3126E share the same pump style. HEP s do have split shot but only one.

I did revive my PCM i booted it as a blank and even salvaged my programmer. Any one have simple ideas on single shot software. Cant use ford that I have access to because the software works in packages, flash for a 97 and get trans and 4x4 functions for a 97 and not be able to work with my factory GEM module.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 PM
F-1CLEVELAND
Freshman User
Kemmpe ? Only one repair on warranty. 860ft/lb on the dyno no need for your 30hp you feel you have a power issue? The engine dynoed with 80psi fue press make sure you have atleast 75 psi full rpm no load an no less than 68psi pulling. Also be carefull if anyone has ever replace injectors you can put the wrong ones in and the parts look up for these engines and cat is very missguided.

Quick Reply: PCM Failure