Kenwood DNX5120 in 2007 F250

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:27 PM
jeredh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenwood DNX5120 in 2007 F250

When I purchased my truck new, I wanted a good stereo

The factory 6-disc unit was nice, but I wanted more. I tried to get an iPod interface for the factory radio, but could never get it to work. So I wanted a new head unit that met certain standards: GPS navigation, iPod interface, Sirius/XM, DVD player, Bluetooth hands free, USB input, 1/8" audio/video inputs, and MOST importantly I wanted to preserve the steering wheel controls. Well i got all this stuff....and a rear view camera.

I purchased a Kenwood DNX5120 from Crutchfield, along with a handfull of accessories:

Kenwood DNX5120 head unit $599.00 (insane deal!)
Kenwood CCD-2000 rear view camera $199.00
Kenwood KCA-BT200 Bluetooth box $149.00
Sirius Connect SC-C1 box $39.00
Kenwood KCA-iP300V cable (required iPod interface) $29.99
Kenwood CA-SR20V cable (connect Sirius w/ system) $19.99
PAC SWI-Jack (to maintain steering wheel controls) $74.99
Polk Audio db 571 speakers (same size fits front & rear)
American Int. face plate kit
other wiring harnesses and cables

I will first say that Kenwood is the only manufacturer to utilize a 3rd party GPS navigation software....Garmin. Pioneer & Alpine use their own, and it's nowhere near as developed as Garmin. +1 for Kenwood.

The low-down: installation is not difficult. All interfaces are easy to access, and work smooth. Screen is nice 6" viewing area. Garmin GPS is as good as it gets. iPod interface is nice - you control the iPod with the Kenwood (no exceptions). DVD's will play even when car is moving (just ground the light green wire with the rest of radio ground wires). With my Sirius connect box, I also receive XM channels (lifetime subscription to both Sirius/XM is like $499.00). I haven't installed the camera yet, but it is designed to turn on automatically, when the truck is put in reverse. You also have the option of pushing a button to simply get a rear view (good for seeing trailer). The handsfree bluetooth is super convenient - once you get handsfree, you'll never go back.

Here are pics of the install

I will post up some pointers a bit later, particularly those minor issues that stumbled me. One was the 3 switches on the Kenwood BT-200 box. THE PAC steering wheel interface is a bit involved, for you have to program it to the car (best thing to do is go to PAC's website and download EXACT instructions for your truck/car). Again you can watch DVD's without having to have the parking brake on. This 5120 head unit is very slick. You may want to know it has been discontinued and replaced with a newer model (Crutchfield told me they bought Kenwood's remaining inventory at a good price, so get 'em while you can. I just bought mine two weeks ago). Also, i got a discount on the Polk speakers. The first pair cost me $109.00, the second pair cost me $54.99 (WTF!?).

I consider myself an audiophile. I have installed some aftermarket systems that just didn't make a huge difference in sound. I thought the factory radio in my F250 Lariat was pretty good. The Kenwood matched with the Polk audio makes a DRAMATIC improvement. Tight mids, as-expected low-end, great highs. The radio has subwoofer outputs (mental note!). Note: installing the Polk's is a tight fit - you must loosely put in all four screws to be able to make it work perfectly...the sound is best if you get the speakers installed right. more on this later). Overall the sound is really clean, with solid & clear music. I listen to Miles Davis to Tool, and this system sounds GREAT!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 PM
jeredh
New User
another forum member posted that Pioneer AVIC units do not require external boxes for Sirius & Bluetooth. This means installing the Pioneer is easier than installing the Kenwood (the Kenwood and Sirius boxes just piggy back on one another...no power/ground connection requ'd). So, if you're shopping keep this in mind. Also keep in mind that Garmin's GPS smokes Pioneers. ~ (what...so i'm biased..)

Old 03-03-2009, 12:20 AM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Great install and your truck is looks awesome.

Originally Posted by jeredh
another forum member posted that Pioneer AVIC units do not require external boxes for Sirius & Bluetooth. This means installing the Pioneer is easier than installing the Kenwood (the Kenwood and Sirius boxes just piggy back on one another...no power/ground connection requ'd). So, if you're shopping keep this in mind. Also keep in mind that Garmin's GPS smokes Pioneers. ~ (what...so i'm biased..)

This is not entirely true. The F-Series does have built in bluetooth, which I love by the way, but does take additional boxes for Satellite and HD radio.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 AM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Great pics on the install!!!!!!!
How do you like the Sirius interface(info)reception,etc?
I am strongly considering this HU vs the Alpine W205

Old 03-03-2009, 11:03 PM
jeredh
New User
Originally Posted by BobbyDiesel71
Great pics on the install!!!!!!!
How do you like the Sirius interface(info)reception,etc?
I am strongly considering this HU vs the Alpine W205
thanks guys. This is my first experience with a satellite radio, and i've listened a grand total of 27 minutes since the install. i can say this about the reception: when the windshield of my truck was facing south and under the overhang of a shopping center, reception went in/out.

if you select Sirius as the source at the first startup, it takes 20 seconds or so for all the artist/song/album info to load. not bad. you can have two views for Sirius channels:

"Ctrl view" which is the first tab (see upper part of screen for red tabs you touch toggle views) the one playing with detail of music/song/artist/album

and th other view is a list of rows of information covering 5 channels at once. this info can be toggled by hitting info change

<InfoChange>

<InfoChange>

...and you could hit InfoChange a few more times to view just the band playing on the channel, or the song, and the album i think.
on the 5120 touch screen is balanced well: not overly sensitive or anything. the touch screen works well, fyi.
here is the main Source page

if i were to give any negatives about the Sirius interface, it would have to be that you cannot type in a channel # to directly access a channel. if this is a feature, i haven't found it yet. by hitting All Channels, i can scan through the first 100 channels quicker than you can say you social security number.

hope this information is giving Kenwood a good reputation

$.02 I really enjoy mine!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:47 PM
jeredh
New User
by hitting All Channels, i can scan through the first 100 channels quicker than you can say your social security number.
..did anyone else but me actually say your SSN to see how long it took?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:21 PM
XylemXorro
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you were a past/present service member, this unit would cost you $499 w/ no tax or shipping charges.

...just my .02 (w/o tax)

Old 03-20-2009, 07:54 PM
mooch91
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the sound is best if you get the speakers installed right. more on this later
Please elaborate!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:06 AM
jeredh
New User
Originally Posted by mooch91
Please elaborate!
Ford's 6"x8" openings are the same size as for a 5"x7" speaker. I installed Polk Audio DBS71 5x7 speakers with no problem. The mounting holes line up extremely tight, giving no wiggle room for my Polks.
First know that mounting speakers takes a steady hand and concentration - you don't want to slip and put your driver through the cone.
To get the speakers secured and sealed against the truck, I needed to start each of the 4 mounting bolts, and keep the lip of the speaker's edge about 1/4" off the truck. After you start all 4 bolts, then alternate tightening each of them down. My Polk's seated perfectly onto the truck.
i.e., dont have the speaker sitting flush on mounting surface.....rather, keep it raised to allow wiggle room. Otherwise you cannot get all four bolts in.
You want to mount all four bolts to allow the speaker to form as best a seal as possible. My Polks sound great. Tight & accurate midrange and consistent bottom range to make me happy.
But I'd still like a sub

Old 03-21-2009, 09:09 AM
jeredh
New User
Originally Posted by XylemXorro
If you were a past/present service member, this unit would cost you $499 w/ no tax or shipping charges.

...just my .02 (w/o tax)
present/past service member?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
I just installed a Kenwood DNX7140 in my '05 F150 Lariat and it was the easiest install I have ever done thanks to the mounting kit and the wiring harness adapters. The DNX7140 has the Sirius/XM and Bluetooth capabilities built into the HU... no need for additional boxes.

I agree about Garmin... they rock and nobody else comes close for GPS! Also, it is easy to bypass the parking brake security to allow for Nav functions and watching DVD's (my passengers...not me) while the truck is in motion.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:29 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
jeredh or great danes - question on the rear view camera (great danes, not sure if you got it). does it use a video input on the back of the unit or is there a dedicated plug. i ask because I am getting the DDX514 (newer with no nav unit, use the handheld Garmin instead) and want to know if I am still going to have a free video input after plugging the camera in. Kenwoods site is not very specific and even the manual for the camera does not really state composite (yellow cable) in or dedicated plug. Anyone who has the answer would be appreciated. Think i am going to tackle the install myself also after finding out how to get the dash off of my 06 Expy. the 03 F150 was simple - just pull. Unfortunately the theives realized that also - but less damage that way

Old 04-29-2009, 11:21 PM
jeredh
New User
mtondreo: believe it or not, i haven't installed my camera. I have the Kenwood CCD-2000 sitting right next to me (I bought it after the install....duh). I will need to pull my radio out and let you know...no biggie.
Sorry to here the thieves got into your truck. *******s.

I believe the rear camera video input is separate from the auxillary video input, but i could_be_mistaken

Old 04-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Mtondreo,

Yes I also got the CCD-2000 backup camera with my HU and it plugged into a separate dedicated rear camera input. Keep in mind I have DNX7140. I am not sure what the DDX units have for inputs.

Also, to both you and Jaredh, when wiring the camera, make sure you connect the reverse sensor lead on the camera box to the switched power lead so that the camera has power at all times that the ignition is on, this way you can switch to the camera view even if you aren't in reverse (ie. if you want to keep an eye on a trailer). I hope that part made sense?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:54 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
thanks for the replies gentlemen. I may be moving up to the DDX714 instead with the bluetooth built in (i just just don't want to pay for the nav, way too many portables laying around our house). I had planned on running a separate switch for the back up camera. I am assuming from your response Great Dane that the camera has a separate selection in the touch screen for the camera. This is much better because I thought that it just automatically came on (showed on the display) when it felt power from the camera. If what you say (or what I described) is the case, that is great that way I can just run power to the camera at all times without trying to find a spot to mount a switch (I like to take a look at the trailer occasionally also). Thanks again gentlemen. Not sure if I should be PM'ing this stuff instead, but figured if someone else had the same questions it may help them also

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX5120 in 2007 F250