Could Use some help PA

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Could Use some help PA

Hey Guys,
I lost my cell phone Wednesday morning about 5AM on Rte 15
I was looking for someone that lives around Gettysburg or Battlefield Harley.
I got onto 15 off the 30 when the tailpipe fell off my Bronco so I pulled over to take it off and thru it in the back of the truck. Apparently when I did this my phone slid out of the case but I isn't realize it til I was about 100 miles away. By the time I had gotten back naturally the snow had covered the siding and I couldn't find it.
All I know is its I think between 97 and 140. Thats a lot of road for one person to cover especially with a bad leg so I was hoping ti enlist someones help. It would be genuinely appreciated.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Post Fiend
I yhank the 25 or so people who at least looked at this thread,
now I just need a few to help look for my phone.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dave, if I was a little closer I'd be glad to help.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Post Fiend
Thanks Clay, not a problem

Old 02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm going up 194 this week. Might cut over to 97/140. Will look out for a cell...

Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jermafenser
I'm going up 194 this week. Might cut over to 97/140. Will look out for a cell...
Thanks Chad, its on the side comin back toward Emmitsburg but you'll have to get on the shoulder and look. What I'm really lookin for is another driver or someone to go with me and drive while I look on the side otherwise it's walking it. When are you going up?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 AM
oldfart
Senior User
Folks I'm gonn'a offer up this just as a thought...it might work..it might not. Try this..contact yer cell phone service and ask them to run a trace on yer lost cell phone. Explain the circumstances..."lost the cell phone out along Rt. 15." Now as odd as it sounds most cell phones have a GPS built in. They don't tell you that at the phone company. (go figger??) But they can ring up the phone and find out where it is in short order..in most cases. Now they can't tell you exactlly where it's at..but they'll give you the co-ordinates within' 3 ft. of where it's at. (latitude&longitude) Once you have these numbers you can go to Google/MapQuest or several other services and narrow it down even more. Give it a try. Trying to drive alongside a busy highway and find a tiny cell phone just by peering into the weeds is a haphazard method at best..and possibly dangerous. Let me know if this works. If the phone company won't help..call and "offer" to cancel the service if they can not/will not help. Try to let me know by this weekend what you've found out. Audie...the Oldfart...

Old 02-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 80351
Thanks Chad, its on the side comin back toward Emmitsburg but you'll have to get on the shoulder and look. What I'm really lookin for is another driver or someone to go with me and drive while I look on the side otherwise it's walking it. When are you going up?
Went up there on Thursday. I came back down through Emmittsburg as well, but didn't see anything sticking out. I stopped on the shoulder a few times. Must be in some grass/mud.

Walking on the shoulder along w/ a buddy sounds like a good idea, Dave. Better eyes that way.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Originally Posted by oldfart
Folks I'm gonn'a offer up this just as a thought...it might work..it might not. Try this..contact yer cell phone service and ask them to run a trace on yer lost cell phone. Explain the circumstances..."lost the cell phone out along Rt. 15." Now as odd as it sounds most cell phones have a GPS built in. They don't tell you that at the phone company. (go figger??) But they can ring up the phone and find out where it is in short order..in most cases. Now they can't tell you exactlly where it's at..but they'll give you the co-ordinates within' 3 ft. of where it's at. (latitude&longitude) Once you have these numbers you can go to Google/MapQuest or several other services and narrow it down even more. Give it a try. Trying to drive alongside a busy highway and find a tiny cell phone just by peering into the weeds is a haphazard method at best..and possibly dangerous. Let me know if this works. If the phone company won't help..call and "offer" to cancel the service if they can not/will not help. Try to let me know by this weekend what you've found out. Audie...the Oldfart...
Very good advice, however, this only applies to cell phones manufactured within the last year or two. Any older, it is simply not possible.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Went up there on Thursday. I came back down through Emmittsburg as well, but didn't see anything sticking out. I stopped on the shoulder a few times. Must be in some grass/mud.

Walking on the shoulder along w/ a buddy sounds like a good idea, Dave. Better eyes that way.
I'd be real carefull if you do that. Way too many drivers with their head in their **** out there. If you can narrow down the search area try setting up a few road flares. The burning kind. Even idiots equate flares with a cop and will usually try to pay attention. Reflective triangles are a good warning too. If you hear plastic breaking you'll know it's time to dive over the guard rails. I've spent a lot of time doing service calls and driving tow trucks. I know this from experience.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:29 PM
oldfart
Senior User
Dave haven't read any new posts on this subject so far..what have ye found out? Sir, at the very least contact the cell phone provider and explain the circumstances to them and have them discontinue the service temporarily until ye locate the phone or give it up for a lost cause! My reasons is simple enough..if some miscreatant finds the phone they kin rack up a helluva phone billl in short time..and you'll be stuck with it. Just ask the provider to lock the phone so yer not responsible for any calls made on it. I've already asked my niece and nephew to ride down thatt'a ways and take a gander. She lives in Thomasville..he works for Battlefeild Harley. The odds of findin' it ayer slim as a gooses neck. Audie..the Oldfart..

Old 02-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Redcat Diesel
I'd be real carefull if you do that. Way too many drivers with their head in their **** out there. If you can narrow down the search area try setting up a few road flares. The burning kind. Even idiots equate flares with a cop and will usually try to pay attention. Reflective triangles are a good warning too. If you hear plastic breaking you'll know it's time to dive over the guard rails. I've spent a lot of time doing service calls and driving tow trucks. I know this from experience.
It's OK around here in the south central PA section. The only jackasses that drive stupid are the weekenders w/ VA tags going to the Poconos or something. I think the western part of Pennsylvania sports the worst drivers.

It's not something that's all shocking anymore. It's becoming quite common with officers stopping drivers for traffic violations. When you hear tires skidding, GET OUTTA WAY!

Old 02-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
It's OK around here in the south central PA section. The only jackasses that drive stupid are the weekenders w/ VA tags going to the Poconos or something. I think the western part of Pennsylvania sports the worst drivers.

It's not something that's all shocking anymore. It's becoming quite common with officers stopping drivers for traffic violations. When you hear tires skidding, GET OUTTA WAY!
I gotta agree on the western part. Lots of idiots with a license around here. Every couple of years I go with a group to watch the Octoberfest 350 at Hagerstown speedway. The ride gets a lot nicer after we get past Donegal or thereabouts.

BTW, when I said out there I meant on the highway in general not any specific area.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Oldtrucknut7077
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave, how are you maling out with your search? Just trying to get an update before we get this possible snow storm this evenong.