1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New here and have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Special_Ed
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wire harness

I did a search on here for wiring harness and other various things for my truck but cannot seem to find answers to my questions.

Try LMC Truck. They have good prices and so far I find the quality good.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Special_Ed
New User
Try LMC Truck.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
1. 16 or 14 ga.
2. Look in the phone book for hardwood suppliers. Most use red or white oak, but you may find other species you like better. Any decent woodworker should be able to match the board profile you need. Bed strips for a longbed may be a stickler tho.
3. ? go out and measure. Be sure you are going to keep the stock rear before worrying too much about it tho.
4. easy, but can be messy they don't call weather stripping glue "gorilla snot" for nothing.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 PM
dads56
New User
I have had great help from the gals at Mid Fifty F-100 parts. Take your time on the window installation, make sure you follow the instructions and put the weather stripping on correct the first time!
dads 56

Old 03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
habbyjs
Junior User
Thanks, I have been looking for a 1960 manual. I have a very used 1957 manual with some pages missing that came with the truck. I was unsure if the same things applied to mine, because i know there were some differences in the trucks. I have heard that the best match for a 1960 truck would be a 1959. and that the 1958 and 1957 trucks complement each other more then a 59 or 60.

thanks for the input. I am trying to work my way to 25 posts.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:03 AM
8bahead
Senior User
Well if your waiting on the weather here in Cleveland to BREAK! LOL! It will be a while! This is a great site lots of helpful folks,if you can catch the first swap meet in Auburn In.There are many vendors there that sell used manual's 25-30 $. Or you could Google that manual and you may be able to come up with one. Good luck with your project!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:50 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi--Don'tstart out by cutting all the rust out and tearing your truck up till you get some education on what is involved.
Too many guys go hog-wild,and then find themselves selling it,because they tore the truck all apart and cut out all the rust and have no money or tools to go any farther.

I live in Ashtabula cty., and not far from you.
I have a buddy on this site...LUCAS56 and he is in your shoes. Now about 6 yrs later,he hasn't gotten too far,but needs some direction and tools and manuals.
If you want some direction come on over this spring and pm me and we can help you.
I just have a feeling that tearing the truck all apart may not be the first method to use here. I know.....and I am not the best mechanic and my auto-body work is not as good as it once was.....but do not tear apart your truck until you plan more. Get some ideas and take your time. Go to craigslist,etc and see how many guys take em apart and then sell them for a fraction of what they have in them.
PM me and maybe we can meet up!!!
No mistaking the other posts.....these guys are topnotch guys....but a lot of 19 yr old guys get carried away,and need some direction....LOL
AX is a great mentor for autobody.....so keep his pm close by!! haha
Bill

Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Special_Ed
New User
Good Morning fellow Ford addicts!
My 51 F1 is sitting butt high on the ramps complete with wiring ghosts. I've replaced the rear taillights and wires all the way into the cab. The fuse block definitely needs replacing (loose spades and poor connection across the fuses). I tore apart the aftermarket turn switch and got it functioning somewhat better but still I have a short somewhere. The right turn flashes brightly on the right side and dimly on the left. The left turn is asleep when the headlights are turned on (the lights won't work at all). I'm thinking of ordering a new aftermarket turn switch as the old one has never been reliable. Any ideas regarding an aftermarket fuse box? Money is fairly tight for your helpful hardware man. Hum... maybe I need to hire an exorcist? Might as well order ground straps while I'm at it, as they seem to have been left off. Some day this truck will be done, then what will I have to spend my allowance on?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:13 AM
habbyjs
Junior User
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
Hi--Don'tstart out by cutting all the rust out and tearing your truck up till you get some education on what is involved.
Too many guys go hog-wild,and then find themselves selling it,because they tore the truck all apart and cut out all the rust and have no money or tools to go any farther.

I live in Ashtabula cty., and not far from you.
I have a buddy on this site...LUCAS56 and he is in your shoes. Now about 6 yrs later,he hasn't gotten too far,but needs some direction and tools and manuals.
If you want some direction come on over this spring and pm me and we can help you.
I just have a feeling that tearing the truck all apart may not be the first method to use here. I know.....and I am not the best mechanic and my auto-body work is not as good as it once was.....but do not tear apart your truck until you plan more. Get some ideas and take your time. Go to craigslist,etc and see how many guys take em apart and then sell them for a fraction of what they have in them.
PM me and maybe we can meet up!!!
No mistaking the other posts.....these guys are topnotch guys....but a lot of 19 yr old guys get carried away,and need some direction....LOL
AX is a great mentor for autobody.....so keep his pm close by!! haha
Bill
Hey,

Thanks a lot for the input. I have a plan. I needed to tear the truck down. The fenders were rusted and falling off. The inner fenders were rusted and held on by zip ties and one bolt each when I got to it. The doors had no bottoms at all and were filled with insulating expanding foam to keep the elements out. The cab corners are non existent, and the air vents were filled with mice nests and no bottoms were in sight. The grille was bondo'd to no end, the only good parts of my truck was the hood and the bed. I bought the truck for $800 bucks including a 60 F600 for parts. I stole the parts I needed off that and sold it for 100 bucks. The kid I got the truck from was 18 and going to college, he used it as a farm truck. I was in 8th grade when my parents let me buy it with the money I had been saving since about 4th grade. I had no background on what I was doing,just what I saw and read but my dad said he would help and he is awesome with body, engine and any kind of mechanical work. (no computers) So as far as getting in over my head, maybe, but I think its fun! It has just taken me a lot longer to get things done. I am learning, The truck is far from going to be perfect, but at a 10 foot distance it will be a real nice truck.

Thanks for your offer of meeting and leaning a few tricks and methods you have done. I will most likely take you up on that, I am in Ashtabula quite a bit for work with my dad. So i might Pm you once spring/ summer hits and I am free from college! I DO appreciate it.
-Steve

Old 03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Special_Ed
Good Morning fellow Ford addicts!
My 51 F1 is sitting butt high on the ramps complete with wiring ghosts. I've replaced the rear taillights and wires all the way into the cab. The fuse block definitely needs replacing (loose spades and poor connection across the fuses). I tore apart the aftermarket turn switch and got it functioning somewhat better but still I have a short somewhere. The right turn flashes brightly on the right side and dimly on the left. The left turn is asleep when the headlights are turned on (the lights won't work at all). I'm thinking of ordering a new aftermarket turn switch as the old one has never been reliable. Any ideas regarding an aftermarket fuse box? Money is fairly tight for your helpful hardware man. Hum... maybe I need to hire an exorcist? Might as well order ground straps while I'm at it, as they seem to have been left off. Some day this truck will be done, then what will I have to spend my allowance on?
Many of us have used a wiring kit from EZwire and are very pleased with the quality and ease of use with all the wires color coded and their function printed right on them every 6 in. You would be very hard pressed to duplicate for twice the money and would have a lot of spools of left over wire. The modern fuse block uses spade type fuses and is of OEM automotive quality, and has plent of room to add any and all the accessories you could ever want. WELL worth the money!Sounds like you have a weak ground on one side rather than a short. A short would blow the fuse. Try adding a temp ground wire to that taillight socket to the battery and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Special_Ed
New User
Ghosts in the wiring

I tried the ground wire. I think you are right about the ground but the turn switch is still a part of the problem. I just ordered a new black unit (21.95) and will look into the harness. You in Phoenix or Tucson?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:41 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Nope, central NC.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 PM
habbyjs
Junior User
Added Pictures in a photo album. Those are the best ones I have at the moment on my computer. I tried to scan some old photos but they wont load onto my computer???? I will take some more real soon.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:03 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
Hi--Don't start out by cutting all the rust out and tearing your truck up till you get some education on what is involved.
I'm the one that ends up getting these trucks.
Good luck on yours!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 PM
habbyjs
Junior User
Originally Posted by havi
I'm the one that ends up getting these trucks.
Good luck on yours!

Your not getting my truck! lol

I did some more work this week and got the radiator back on and the inner fenders mocked up. I am going to bolt the hood back on so I don't have to tarp the engine anymore when I put it outside to work on my jeep. I cannot put the fenders back on until I finish fiber glassing and patching the holes by my air vents. I promise I will take more pictures tomorrow and post them before the weekend is over.

Can someone post a pic of where the inner fenders bolt to. I have to bolts in them now. One on the radiator support, and one on rubber from the cab. I don't know why they don't look right on my truck?? They are from a 59 F100 and I have a 60 F250. I didn't think that made a difference? They almost seem too short from the radiator support to the cab, there is about an inch and a half void between the cab and the inner fenders. Anyone with any insight? Thanks,
-Steve

Quick Reply: New here and have questions.