Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking from Rear tires/axle maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Squeaking from Rear tires/axle maybe?

I have noticed that over the last few months I have gained quite a bit of squeaking from the rear axle, which it sounds like either the driver or pass. side rear. When I start to slow down from 3rd to 2nd, to 1st, it gradually gets worst. It only completely goes away when I shift into neutral and slow down with the brakes from 3rd to 2nd, 1st or from 2nd to 1st or just to neutral period. It returns whenever I shift back into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but cannot tell if it does in 4th since I cannot hear it when there is wind from the window at 35 to 40 mph.

I haven't had the time or the weather to jack the rear up and set it on jack stands and put it in gear to isolate the problem.

I'm up for any ideas.
Thanks again for any suggestions.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it a constant noise, or a repetitive beat? Greased the ujoints lately?

Old 02-26-2009, 11:31 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bad ujoints.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:10 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I thought maybe u-joints, but I always inspect them in warmer weather, and around oil changes. Thanks, I will inspect them on the drive shaft soon. They are also ungreasable since they came from factory without grease zurts.

The sound is constant, in rhythm. like squeak.da.da.,squeak, with rotation, but only when in gear, never in neutral.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:49 AM
BigSix1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by timbersteel
I thought maybe u-joints, but I always inspect them in warmer weather, and around oil changes. Thanks, I will inspect them on the drive shaft soon. They are also ungreasable since they came from factory without grease zurts.

The sound is constant, in rhythm. like squeak.da.da.,squeak, with rotation, but only when in gear, never in neutral.

My '88 F-150 I6/5sp. has a two-piece driveshaft, with a carrier bearing midway back. I don't believe it was squeaking, but it was growling. I found it with an automotive stethascope--they're only about $20.00 and are VERY handy, for all kinds of noises. And that bearing was really easy to change.

Just be sure you're on a lift, or safely on jackstands, blocked and chocked, etc...., and don't get wound up in the driveshaft, with long hair or loose clothes--knock on wood three times--all that precautionary stuff!

Good luck.