Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 PM
tmandrav tmandrav is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
tmandrav is starting off with a positive reputation.
2007 Expedition Limited want to add Back Up Sensors

I turned in the lease on my 2006 Expedition Limited and purchased a used 2007 EL Limited.

I assumed the back up sensing came automatically on the Limited, apparently I was wrong. I am looking to add the back up sensor's to the vehicle. Is this simple, can I add the factory back up sensors or do I need to go aftermarket? What are my options?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-26-2009, 05:14 AM
chuck s chuck s is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Broadview Hts, Ohio
Posts: 512
chuck s is starting off with a positive reputation.
They're part of the "Convenience Package" along with the power pedals with memory, power rear quarter windows, and universal garage door opener. Got any of those?

-- Chuck
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM
berry1234's Avatar
berry1234 berry1234 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 4,008
berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Should be standard on limited. Put the car in reverse and look at the message center. What does it say? The reverse sensors might be turned off. You hit reset I think to turn them on while in reverse.
__________________
1978 F250 Lariat 4x2
2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x2


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-26-2009, 08:19 PM
tmandrav tmandrav is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
tmandrav is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry1234 View Post
Should be standard on limited. Put the car in reverse and look at the message center. What does it say? The reverse sensors might be turned off. You hit reset I think to turn them on while in reverse.
I thought it was standard as well. When I put in reverse there is no message in the messsage center and no option to turn it on in the message center either.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM
tmandrav tmandrav is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
tmandrav is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
They're part of the "Convenience Package" along with the power pedals with memory, power rear quarter windows, and universal garage door opener. Got any of those?

-- Chuck
Hey Chuck, this particular Limited does not have the convenience package and it makes is "very non-convenient". Wife does not like vehicle and instead of selling it, I am trying to make it like her old one.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM
berry1234's Avatar
berry1234 berry1234 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 4,008
berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandrav View Post
I thought it was standard as well. When I put in reverse there is no message in the messsage center and no option to turn it on in the message center either.
Hmmm. Search these messages for the one that shows you the original sticker. You will need your VIN number. See what it says.
__________________
1978 F250 Lariat 4x2
2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x2


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-26-2009, 08:35 PM
tmandrav tmandrav is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
tmandrav is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry1234 View Post
Hmmm. Search these messages for the one that shows you the original sticker. You will need your VIN number. See what it says.

I did that last night, it does not have it on the window sticker...crazy and I overlooked it when buying the vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 PM
gddyup's Avatar
gddyup gddyup is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 340
gddyup is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.gddyup is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Reverse sensors are not standard on the limited. They come as part of the package mentioned earlier. I have an 07 Limited EL and it does not have the back-up sensors. I bought it used and the BU sensors were not ordered on the truck when it was new.

Could you add them? I'm sure you could, but the cost would probably be more than the hassle assosciated with doing it. All the Ford BU sensor systems I have seen incorporate the sensors into the rear bumper. So, that would mean a new rear bumper, the sensor package, the wiring harness, and anything else assosciated with getting it hooked up. Anything is possible if you have the money to make it so.

Personally, and I might sound like a jackass for saying it but, if you really *NEED* a back up system to tell you it's *SAFE* to back up, it's time to re0evaluate your driving habits.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 PM
tmandrav tmandrav is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
tmandrav is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
Reverse sensors are not standard on the limited. They come as part of the package mentioned earlier. I have an 07 Limited EL and it does not have the back-up sensors. I bought it used and the BU sensors were not ordered on the truck when it was new.

Could you add them? I'm sure you could, but the cost would probably be more than the hassle assosciated with doing it. All the Ford BU sensor systems I have seen incorporate the sensors into the rear bumper. So, that would mean a new rear bumper, the sensor package, the wiring harness, and anything else assosciated with getting it hooked up. Anything is possible if you have the money to make it so.

Personally, and I might sound like a jackass for saying it but, if you really *NEED* a back up system to tell you it's *SAFE* to back up, it's time to re0evaluate your driving habits.

Thanks for the info... as far as "needing" it to drive, it a great feature for my wife which adds an additional safety precaution for her knowing there are more kids constantly playing and runnig around in our neighborhood, ballfields, etc..... this is her 6th Expedition, so she knows how to drive it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2009, 06:17 AM
chuck s chuck s is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Broadview Hts, Ohio
Posts: 512
chuck s is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is my first Expedition and it's the "short" version. I made sure I ordered the backup sensors for parking as I certainly can't see anything thru the rear window unless it's 5 feet off the ground.

I'm frankly surprised the Convenience Group isn't standard on the Limited, but it wasn't.

-- Chuck
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Bopper's Avatar
Bopper Bopper is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jersey - Exit 165
Posts: 64
Bopper is starting off with a positive reputation.
My info is outdated. 5 years ago my wife had a GMC Envoy XL. Dealer wanted $750 to install the backup sensors. I had a aftermarket shop due it for $225. Watching my wife swing that thing around parallel parking was a thing of beauty. They are worth every penny. Our new expy has the camera in the rearview mirror, and the sensors, and it is awesome.

Note: The GMC had the sensors triggered to the reverse lights. When you remotely unluck the doors, the convenience lighting lit the reverse lights, so while you loaded the back of the car the sensors would be beeping, a little annoying. The Expy does not light the reverse lights when you unluck with the remote, so no beeping. Though the sensors are still powered from the reverse lights.
__________________
2008 Expedition EL Limited 4x4, Black on Black, Moonroof, Rearview Mirror Camera, Power Liftgate, Luggage Rack, Purchase Date 1/09
Pioneer AVIC-900BT w/ Rear 10.5" DVD/Monitor
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-27-2009, 10:41 AM
berry1234's Avatar
berry1234 berry1234 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 4,008
berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gddyup View Post

Personally, and I might sound like a jackass for saying it but, if you really *NEED* a back up system to tell you it's *SAFE* to back up, it's time to re0evaluate your driving habits.
Well, you were right about sounding like a **** . If you have not used sensors then you don't know how valuable they are. Of course anyone who strictly uses the system for backing up is a fool-They are innacurate and don't always pick up objects behind the vehicle. But when wanting to know how much further someones bumper is or a wall, they are invaluable.

There are aftermarket systems available all over.
__________________
1978 F250 Lariat 4x2
2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x2


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 AM
gddyup's Avatar
gddyup gddyup is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 340
gddyup is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.gddyup is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry1234 View Post
Well, you were right about sounding like a **** . If you have not used sensors then you don't know how valuable they are. Of course anyone who strictly uses the system for backing up is a fool-They are innacurate and don't always pick up objects behind the vehicle. But when wanting to know how much further someones bumper is or a wall, they are invaluable.

There are aftermarket systems available all over.
I guess you are right then. My biggest concern with BU sensors, and my wife had them on her 2000 EB Exploder, is that people become much to accustomed to them and forget about safety. "I have my sensors so I only have to pay attention to the beep." That's not safe.

If you can't "see" what is behing you, get out and look.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 AM
thinksnow thinksnow is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 409
thinksnow is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've been looking at some options myself. You might want to just consider a back up camera. There are tons of options out there.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator

Tags
07, 2007, back, backup, bauer, bumper, camera, eddie, expedition, ford, limited, options, rear, sale, sensors

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Parking Sensors? bondtanner 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 20 10-04-2014 08:18 PM
location of the yaw rate sensor?! Mario.Pe. 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 1 07-06-2012 11:46 AM
2007 Expedition EL Limited - Sirius antenna? SickPup404 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 7 04-06-2011 09:06 PM
back up sensor tarsha29 Expedition & Navigator 1 02-15-2011 06:45 AM
Adding factory back up sensors rms911 Expedition & Navigator 2 12-21-2006 07:03 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup