1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Finally in epoxy primer!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Finally in epoxy primer!!!!!

Like a previous thread I am also building my own bed. I used 14 ga steel for mine which I'm sure added a lot of weight. I spent approximately $250 for the steel, but keep in mind I purchased the steel before prices went through the ceiling. I've got enough metal left to almost build another one. I wanted to build mine different enough that it made no sense to buy one of the manufactured ones and turn around and cut it up.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus -->

I had a sheet metal shop brake the angles in the side panels and welded the tubing to it paying attention to heat buildup. I built a 1" square framework and then welded the side panels to it.

I planned to make the stake pockets flow into a style feature at the back of the fender. Also wanted my roll pan to blend into this feature and end even with the bottom of the rear fenders.

I built two different roll pans, one with 4 fairly traditional looking bullet shaped glass lense lights and one that is still undecided on the type of lighting. The roll pans bolt in so I could actually run either one.

The wide angle has this looking a little distorted.

The tubs are a wide trailer fender cut in half and skirts welded in them to close them up inside the bed.

Trial run to see how my truck clearance lights will look as tail lights.

Finally a coat of epoxy primer and a little filler to smooth everything out and another coat of epoxy. Now I guess I'll try to figure out how I want the tailgate to look.

Andrew

Old 02-25-2009, 10:13 PM
woodyf1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice job man i like the rear roll pan

Old 02-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Very cool! Always love to see how beds are made.

btw, I have the exact same wheels on my '67 Mustang, knock-offs and all.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 PM
F250racer
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great. Really like that taillight setup.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 AM
brucelee
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drewski 2, Looks real good. I understand using a brake to make the angle but how did they do the roll at the top of each bed side?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by brucelee
Drewski 2, Looks real good. I understand using a brake to make the angle but how did they do the roll at the top of each bed side?
If you look closely at the first photo you will see that I welded steel tubing to the angular part of the bed. I think I used 1 1/4" tubing. If you try to weld it in without regard for heat buildup, it will create a curve in the tubing. If you take your time with the welds it will require a very small amount of filler to smooth it out and no one will be the wiser as to how you did it.

Andrew

Old 02-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Stephen67
Very cool! Always love to see how beds are made.

btw, I have the exact same wheels on my '67 Mustang, knock-offs and all.
The wheels and tires are my rollers that I always use on a project. I picked them up cheap over 30 years ago. I am big fan of the older wheels built in the 60's and 70's. I plan on running a set of American 200S wheels that I bought brand new in 1973. I'm not a very big fan of the new fad in wheels that calls for running jumbo diameter rims with what looks like rubber bands stretched on them for tires. Guess it's whatever floats your boat.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking very nice. I like the way you blended the roll pan to the back of the fenders.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
really nice!! like your roll pan with the bullit lights! looks really mean!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by LEckart
Looking very nice. I like the way you blended the roll pan to the back of the fenders.
Thanks, I did a slight variation of a truck that won people's choice trophy at the Supernationals many years ago. The guy did a fantastic job of making everything flow together and not look like an afterthought.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:02 AM
edzakory
Elder User
Impressive! I can only marvel at your skills; I'm far too left-brained to master that kind of craftsmanship.

Thanks for posting the pictures; looking forward to seeing the progress and finished product.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by edzakory
Impressive! I can only marvel at your skills; I'm far too left-brained to master that kind of craftsmanship.

Thanks for posting the pictures; looking forward to seeing the progress and finished product.
You would be surprised at what you can do with a little direction. Nothing really special about anything I've done. My ideas don't always work out. Sometimes I'll come up with a design, sit down and make a cardboard mockup, cut it out in steel and weld it up, only to decide that it's only going to make a good paper weight. The roll pan and all the associated parts were initially done in cardboard and taped together on the bed before I cut the first piece of metal.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 AM
rockher_man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Sweet...

...Man that is just some sweet home-grown ingenuity!......

I especially like the "steel tubing to the angular part of the bed" trick...did you tack on the under side?

I am curious about the tubing though......

I couldn't get a clear look at the bench in your shop but caught a glimpse of a roller...what did ya need...?

You can P.M.me if need be...

GREAT WORK MAN...KEEP GOIN'...

Old 02-26-2009, 08:53 AM
edzakory
Elder User
Originally Posted by Drewski 2
You would be surprised at what you can do with a little direction. Nothing really special about anything I've done.
I've learned a long time ago that "A fool with a tool is still a fool".

You have to face your limitations. I know enough about the characteristics of metal that the phrase "bend me, shape me, anyway you want to" are more than just the lyrics of an old song.

So I must face reality when it comes to fabrication and add truth to the axiom that "a fool and his money is soon departed".

Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by rockher_man
...Man that is just some sweet home-grown ingenuity!......

I especially like the "steel tubing to the angular part of the bed" trick...did you tack on the under side?

I am curious about the tubing though......

I couldn't get a clear look at the bench in your shop but caught a glimpse of a roller...what did ya need...?

You can P.M.me if need be...

GREAT WORK MAN...KEEP GOIN'...
The tubing is only welded on the top side. Just make sure that you're getting good penetration with your welds. I think you could stand on the tubing without causing any damage after it's welded. I may use a thin bead of seam sealer on the bottom side where you won't be able to see it. Really hard to get good paint coverage in that area.

The tubing is just garden variety steel that you can buy at your local steel supplier. They have it in different wall thickness.

I picked up the slip roller from a local hot rodder that was moving out of state and didn't want to move it. It's old, but a lot better than some of the low buck units you see these days. I used it to roll the pan for the rear. But there are other ways to do the same thing, with stuff you probably have laying around your garage.

I'll post some more pictures if you would like of some of the smaller details.

Quick Reply: Finally in epoxy primer!!!!!