6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FIX ANY 6.OL LEAK By Wyatt66f100

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 PM
saybeengineering
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good info....!!!

I'm troubleshooting an oil leak on my 2005 F350 6.0L Turbo-diesel. Two weeks ago, I finally tackled it and decided that probably, it was the front crank seal. So, yes, I took everything apart and it was a pain!!! But finally replaced the seal, and I've been driving the truck ever since. However, I didn't had a chance to vapor/wash everything out prior till today because the leak continued. A couple of hours later I snapped a picture which shows where the leak is and would like to share it with you to have your opinion. By the way, I'm in Central America and our Ford Dealers "lack" experience on these vehicles.....Amazingly but true.!!!! Please PM to info@saybeengineering.com and thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

Regards,
Afif

Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 PM
roger24127
New User
help

im leaking oil at moter mount drivers side any ideas

Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CCV or glow plug harness would be my first guess

Old 05-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Tanbeard
New User
after a long road trip I found a couple tiny oil puddles ontop of my intake manifold, a couple inched to the right of the alternator. any ideas?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:36 AM
fishdaddymoe
New User
oil leak

I have a 2003 f 250 with a 6.0 diesel I have replaced the ICP & IPR but it is still leaking when im parked front end up hill or level. The oil leak drips on the driver side onto the exhaust intake. Doesn't seem to be leaking from either of the two sensors I've replaced. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 08-18-2014, 05:21 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by fishdaddymoe
I have a 2003 f 250 with a 6.0 diesel I have replaced the ICP & IPR but it is still leaking when im parked front end up hill or level. The oil leak drips on the driver side onto the exhaust intake. Doesn't seem to be leaking from either of the two sensors I've replaced. Any suggestions? Thanks
Those two sensors leaking will show up on the bell housing under the truck. Oil leaks onto the exhaust manifold would probably be from the valve cover gasket or glow plug harness.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Cmfnr450
New User
Originally Posted by Wyatt66f100
Ok so im gunna blow your mind on this one.

1. to check a oil leak properly you should think about wind. its the most importaint thing. drips near the rear engine and trans could actually come from the front of the engine and the oil just ran backwords during driving.
heres a list of all "usual" oil leaks on a 6.0L and a short bit on how to identify them.

A. Crank Sensor- crank sensors are located on the passenger side of the engine under the head. if you look under your truck it should be right there, a two wire variable reluctance sensor. if it is leaking it will look wet and sticky. in order to fix this you have to pull the 8mm bolt on it and pop it out. DONT pull on the wires with the connector still connected. the sensor has one o ring on it that should be torn or worn away if it is leaking.

B. Cam Sensor- basically the same at the crank sensor but on the exact opposite side of the engine. (drivers side). this one is a pain in the *** if your new at it. its about five inches long when you remove it out of the hole in the block so it hits stuff on the way out. but this one is identified the same way and has two o rings instead of one.

C. CAC Tube Adaptors (Charged Air Cooler)- these are all the blue tubes going to your turbo and the air cooler and the intake manifold. there is a total of four of them. One is an elbow going to your turbo, the second one is the one that goes to your intake manifold from the tube that comes from the drivers side. third is the one between the air cooler and the drivers side CAC Tube, located down a bit from your air box. and the fourth one is on the exact opposite side from the third, follow the tube from your turbo and you will find it. the way you check these is you put a glove on and run your hand uder them and look at your hand. if there is oil on your had then its time for new CAC Tube Adaptors.

D. Rear Main seal- for the sake of conversation im not going to tell you how to replace this cause it invloves removing your tranny and i dont really wnat to go through that. but you pull the plastic cover out from your tranny where you saw oil drips and you look at the seal on the rear of the crank shaft. if it looks wet then its time to replace it. also if it has a trail of oil down to the plastic cover you removed then its time to replace it.

E. Front crank seal- again i wont tell you how to replace this cause it involves removing the rediator, fan clutch, and other things. but look at your crankshaft dampener while under your truck. if it is wet inside with oil then its time to replace your front crankshaft seal.

F. The all mighty BEDPLATE- this one is a little harder to identify. first fix all the other oil leaks or at least wash them off. then buy a oil dye addative from your ford store (to avoid warrenty coverage problems). then drive it and look for oil dye with a black light. OR if you didnt use dye try this: clean it all up so you cant see a drop of oil on your underside engine anywhere then drive it for about two days. then have a look under again. if it is a bedplate there should be an oil streak coming from where the bedplate meets the engine block. if you look at the bottom of your engine in terms of layers then you should be able to see the bedplate even if your a noobie.

G. Glow Plug Harnesses- these are easy look though your fender well or from under your truck and look at your glow plug harnesses. if they look wet then they need to be replaced.

ONE BIG THING TO KEEP IN MIND- often times crank and cam sensor leaks are thought as bed plate leaks because if a leak is coming from your sensors then the wind takes the oil right across where the bedplate is. same with front crank seal, the oil runs to the back of the engine along the bed plate. so often times you may have a crank, cam, or front seal leak and the bedplate will still be saturated with oil.

congradulations your a oil leak champion now.

any questions a would be happy to answer in this thread or a private message. also i can elaborate on how to do a front crank seal or rear main seal if any one asks.

I would like to ask you a few questions. Shows you haven't been active in a while.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:22 PM
William Mark Brown
Senior User
Wrong thread

Last edited by William Mark Brown; 09-14-2015 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Well delete this I was on mobile and this went to wrong thread. Sorry.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Automotive Leak Detector's Avatar
Ultimate Automotive Leak Detector
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leaks

This is how I locate leaks quickly and at the exact location in minutes.
The Ultimate Automotive Leak Detector
http:// youtube.com/watch?v=tjcEMyzOn-k
Just copy and past this in your browser bar.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:16 AM
2005 Ex Limited
Senior User
How about this. I deleted my intake butterfly from the 05 excursion (side note this is the 04 motor and I'm also looking for the thread on that). With that went the stock elbow and I got an after-market one. It's blue. It also seems to allow a lot of oil out where it mates to the intake. If I'm losing oil then I'm losing boost too. If I buy a red elbow would this be, on average, of a better quality and therefore less likely to leak?

I put new boots on last year, and replaced the plastic cold side tube with the aluminum one. A CCV re-route won't be done until this leaks is fixed (otherwise how would I know it's not leaking).

Old 05-28-2017, 07:53 PM
jcrunk808
New User
a little help

Hello all, I noticed fluid started to leak onto my driveway for the past day. I took some pictures and was wondering if anyone might have any ideas. It is a 2006 F350 Lariat. I was guessing the CAC tubes was the culprit and spreading the wealth.

Attached Images           
Old 05-28-2017, 08:45 PM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts
jcrunk808-I had a quick look at your photos and did notice that there was a drip on the bottom of the harmonic balancer. Could you be leaking a slight amount of coolant from one of the hoses? I had a similar problem a few years back.

Rob

Old 05-29-2017, 07:06 AM
jcrunk808
New User
Toolmaker

Thanks Rob, I'll give a look. Any suggestions where to start?

joe

Originally Posted by ToolmakerRob
jcrunk808-I had a quick look at your photos and did notice that there was a drip on the bottom of the harmonic balancer. Could you be leaking a slight amount of coolant from one of the hoses? I had a similar problem a few years back.

Rob

Old 05-29-2017, 07:54 AM
packagerjr
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jcrunk808
Thanks Rob, I'll give a look. Any suggestions where to start?

joe
if your crankshaft pulley is wet it could be a front main seal leak. Clean behind the pulley as best you can and have another look.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:13 AM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts
Mine was leaking on the lower rad hose as well as the thermostat hose. New hose clamps took care of mine.

Rob

Quick Reply: FIX ANY 6.OL LEAK By Wyatt66f100