Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
As the Big Angry Hillbilly said - it is not associated w/ the oil leak EXCEPT, it is an indication of the quality of work! Anyone can miss something now and again. Take it in and be civil, but let them know you are dissapointed in the leak and the missing bolt. After that, I do not think I would have the engine pulled to fix a leak as small as that.

There have been one or two threads over 4 years I have been reading these forums that stated they had a rear main seal problem - very rare. The best way to find a leak is to start with a clean engine and dye in the oil.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 09-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Jayybird - post up your truck info (year, miles, mods, etc).
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 09-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Senior User

Jayybird is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oil Leak Conclusion

Ok,
Heres the full story. The truck is a 05 4x4 with 114000 miles on it. The truck was running a little ruff so I brought it in to have it checked out and have some normail maintenance taking care of. They said the head gaskets needed to be replaced. So I had the gaskets, new ARP stud bolts installed, tranny fluid changed, and fuel filters changed. Now the truck is running GREAT. The fella who did the job was very nice and showed me the head gaskets..etc. So, today I was looking everything over and just out of curiousity I crawled under the truck and discovered the leak and bolt missing out of the starter. Ok, do you pull the engine completely out to change the head gaskets & bolts? I just went out and checked things again, yall are correct the missing bolt is for the starter, probably not the cause of the leak. Another thing I noticed, the oil dripping didn't really smell like motor oil. I assume they used some kind of degreaser/cleaner chemical when doing the work on the top of the engine and thats it just running down picking up old oil. On the other hand, does it make any sense that the RMS would start leaking after you change head gaskets and bolts? Thanks guys
Old 09-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Senior User

Oil Leak Conclusion

ALso,
The more I think about this. Would you even have to pull those bolts out to do the gasket/stud job? It might've not been in there to begin with. I just want to have a good conlusion of the leak and missing bolt before i go to shop wondering why they didn't do "this or that". What yall think?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Post Fiend

Many mechanics either pull the engine or they lift the cab for head gasket and head bolt replacement. It is POSSIBLE to do it in the cab, but not sure how common that is - you need to know the tricks. It is easier on the back to pull the cab, but takes more time. Again, highly unlikely to be the rear main. How about cleaning it off and watching it for a week or two? Sounds like you are basically happy w/ the mechanic - that is a big plus w/ the 6.0L when you have problems!

I don't want this to sound like I am coming down on you, but if you are still having questions or concerns, it would probably best to start a new thread. This one was really just targeted at general information. It really does help everyone else out to have a separate thread on specific problems - one with a VERY descriptive title. It helps when using the search functon.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Senior User

Ok,
Thanks for the input, next time I will start a new more specific thread, sorry about that. The mechanic did mention that he pulled the cab, so i assume he didn't completely remove the engine and the missing bolt and little leak is not a result of his work. At least not the missing bolt, he wouldn't have to have pulled it, right? Is that a fair assumption?

Thanks again for the info fellas.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Freshman User

abmorejon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile Oil Leak

After taking my truck to another dealer (Ford's recommendation), truck spent another week there and the diesel mechanic determined that the oil leak was coming from the glow plug wire harness. This has never been replaced in the 12 times of repairs. Could this have been the problem all along? I was always told it was the rear main, and even had the block replaced. This is the first time I get home and see the bell tranny dry.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 PM
New User

INJUNTOM is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good info. I've got a strange one:

We have one that has oil running off on the driver's side of the engine at the front of the block, and seems to be coming from what appears to be an aluminum housing for the oil pump (has the pressure relief valve in the housing as well. You can only see so far with mirrors, and the frame, P/S pump, etc, is in the way. My guess is that it's leaking at the aluminum backed gasket that seals that aluminum housing to the block. You can't see anything from above. Is there something that can leak there?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
Ive been fixing them for a few years and not one rear main seal ever leaked for me. just not common.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:39 PM
New User

What about the oil pump housing and/or gasket? I assume that the oil pump right? (low pressure)

Is there anything tricky about taking that apart? (Other than pulling the radiator, etc.)

Thanks, Tom
Old 12-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INJUNTOM View Post
What about the oil pump housing and/or gasket? I assume that the oil pump right? (low pressure)

Is there anything tricky about taking that apart? (Other than pulling the radiator, etc.)

Thanks, Tom
ya not pulling the radiator out is a start. why would you do that?

the oil pump housing is the front cover. they like to leak alot. now the oil pump cover i have seen leak but not common.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:58 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
ya not pulling the radiator out is a start. why would you do that?
Just saw it mentioned somewhere in this thread..

Thanks for the reply
Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Senior User

dsirekis is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
even though this is months down the road i am having oil leak thru the pass side can it be fixed or do i need another and can it be bought somewhere else besides ford
04 f350, bullydog powerpup extreme tune ,pensicoladeisel 70 hp injectors , new heads with arp studs, silverline 6 inch double stacks ,ats intercooler,afe st 2 ,bd intake elbow, 2 kicker 8 inch subs powered by sony 600 watt amp,and 4 kenwood speakers
it most surely
hauls ***
Old 09-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Senior User

erniek70 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt66f100 View Post
Ok so im gunna blow your mind on this one.

1. to check a oil leak properly you should think about wind. its the most importaint thing. drips near the rear engine and trans could actually come from the front of the engine and the oil just ran backwords during driving.
heres a list of all "usual" oil leaks on a 6.0L and a short bit on how to identify them.

A. Crank Sensor- crank sensors are located on the passenger side of the engine under the head. if you look under your truck it should be right there, a two wire variable reluctance sensor. if it is leaking it will look wet and sticky. in order to fix this you have to pull the 8mm bolt on it and pop it out. DONT pull on the wires with the connector still connected. the sensor has one o ring on it that should be torn or worn away if it is leaking.

B. Cam Sensor- basically the same at the crank sensor but on the exact opposite side of the engine. (drivers side). this one is a pain in the *** if your new at it. its about five inches long when you remove it out of the hole in the block so it hits stuff on the way out. but this one is identified the same way and has two o rings instead of one.

C. CAC Tube Adaptors (Charged Air Cooler)- these are all the blue tubes going to your turbo and the air cooler and the intake manifold. there is a total of four of them. One is an elbow going to your turbo, the second one is the one that goes to your intake manifold from the tube that comes from the drivers side. third is the one between the air cooler and the drivers side CAC Tube, located down a bit from your air box. and the fourth one is on the exact opposite side from the third, follow the tube from your turbo and you will find it. the way you check these is you put a glove on and run your hand uder them and look at your hand. if there is oil on your had then its time for new CAC Tube Adaptors.

D. Rear Main seal- for the sake of conversation im not going to tell you how to replace this cause it invloves removing your tranny and i dont really wnat to go through that. but you pull the plastic cover out from your tranny where you saw oil drips and you look at the seal on the rear of the crank shaft. if it looks wet then its time to replace it. also if it has a trail of oil down to the plastic cover you removed then its time to replace it.

E. Front crank seal- again i wont tell you how to replace this cause it involves removing the rediator, fan clutch, and other things. but look at your crankshaft dampener while under your truck. if it is wet inside with oil then its time to replace your front crankshaft seal.

F. The all mighty BEDPLATE- this one is a little harder to identify. first fix all the other oil leaks or at least wash them off. then buy a oil dye addative from your ford store (to avoid warrenty coverage problems). then drive it and look for oil dye with a black light. OR if you didnt use dye try this: clean it all up so you cant see a drop of oil on your underside engine anywhere then drive it for about two days. then have a look under again. if it is a bedplate there should be an oil streak coming from where the bedplate meets the engine block. if you look at the bottom of your engine in terms of layers then you should be able to see the bedplate even if your a noobie.

G. Glow Plug Harnesses- these are easy look though your fender well or from under your truck and look at your glow plug harnesses. if they look wet then they need to be replaced.

ONE BIG THING TO KEEP IN MIND- often times crank and cam sensor leaks are thought as bed plate leaks because if a leak is coming from your sensors then the wind takes the oil right across where the bedplate is. same with front crank seal, the oil runs to the back of the engine along the bed plate. so often times you may have a crank, cam, or front seal leak and the bedplate will still be saturated with oil.

congradulations your a oil leak champion now.

any questions a would be happy to answer in this thread or a private message. also i can elaborate on how to do a front crank seal or rear main seal if any one asks.
Awesome info....I just bought an '05 with only 40000 miles on it, and it too is leaking. I have not nailed down the source yet....it might be from the front? Regardless, I know it will only delay the inevitable, but do any of those oil additives (Bardhall's, Wynn's, etc.) for oil leaks work? Will they at least stop the dripping on my driveway? Will they hurt the engine?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:23 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniek70 View Post
Awesome info....I just bought an '05 with only 40000 miles on it, and it too is leaking. I have not nailed down the source yet....it might be from the front? Regardless, I know it will only delay the inevitable, but do any of those oil additives (Bardhall's, Wynn's, etc.) for oil leaks work? Will they at least stop the dripping on my driveway? Will they hurt the engine?
IMO, yes. The oil is also used to actuate the injectors. The injector spool valve area has very tight clearances. I think you stand a good chance of ruining some injectors with these products.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:23 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
60, 60l, cac, called, crankshaft, diesel, engine, ford, fords, front, leak, leakers, leaks, oil, psd, replacing, seal, top, tube