1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitto Dura Grappler review

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 AM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, glad to see you tested them out in the snow. They sound like they did pretty well, even comparable to the Silent Armors. Now here's a question for you that you may or may not be able to answer... Do you think that these tires would do OK on a truck with a snow plow? Assume the truck has a normal Ford "Unlimited Slip" diff rear and open Dana 60 front for axles, in other words a stock set up there. Nothing special like lockers or True-Track diffs.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Uh, NO - they would not be good plowing tires.

Sorry if I said anything that was unclear, but these are NOT comparable to the Silent Armors.

They get the truck moving, and even in 2WD, they do move the truck. But with any sort of restriction or incline, they are NOT going to work well. A heavy load in the back like a sander will help, but seriously, if you're making money from pushing snow, don't use these

For an ON ROAD highway tire, they are great in the snow. But if you are plowing, I really have to say, get an AT or snow tire.

This morning, I backed out of my driveway, went down the road and made a turn, all on packed snow and ice, and never realized I wasn't in 4WD until the rear end swung around on me when I made a left turn

Old 01-05-2010, 02:18 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Dura Grapplers are installed now. Only made short drives on dry pavement so far, to and from work, short highway trips & city driving. Seem very quiet for a wide 35" tire & have a very solid feel, no squirming or wandering.

Will be towing a lot next week so we'll see how they do. And who knows what the Colorado weather will throw at me... Heres how they look on my rig:

Attached Images   
Old 05-28-2010, 07:46 AM
keithc
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumping this back up! Its like falling asleep at the end of a movie and the wife wont tell you how it ended.....

I am really starting to like the Dura Grappler based on this discussion. I was leaning AT, like BFG, Terra, or Toyo mainly, but looking at larger 34" tires in an E load. However, I really dont need to do any off-roading with this truck, and I am towing an 8K lb camper a lot in the summer.

SO... how did the towing go for folks with the DURA. And what about any more snow experience? I live in MA and this X is our ski trip and family truckster around New England all winter.

THX.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:04 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
I finally rotated the tires - a little bit of wear on the backs, so I swapped front-to-back.

STILL wearing GREAT. I can't believe how long these tires are lasting with MY type of driving

I recently did some pulling in dirt with them in 4x4 low - I had a branch hanging in a tree in my yard, about 800+ lbs of oak - 30+ feet long, hanging upside down in a tree where it broke off from the crown of the oak tree. Had to run a rope over a branch above it, and tied to the truck, to pull the branch UP to get it unstuck. No pulleys, so the rope was pretty tough to pull even without the weight.

In 4x4LOW, I pulled and pulled and pulled, and I NEVER slipped the tires in dirt. And this is Long Island dirt. Mostly sand, somewhat hard packed, but just riding the truck on it packed it down almost 2 inches so I have some nice ruts in my yard now where I was doing this. I was amazed I didn't lose traction.

Very happy overall, still balanced, etc. etc. etc.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:10 AM
keithc
Freshman User
AWESOME! I am glad the experience is staying solid. Even though I would love a nice gnarly looking AT/MT on this thing, I know that my use pushes me towards more of a towing AT/Highway style. And I do like the sizes, loads, and feedback these Dura's are getting. For the first time I am 95% on a tire.... Thanks all.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:31 PM
DaHo
New User
Originally Posted by Krewat
I finally rotated the tires - a little bit of wear on the backs, so I swapped front-to-back.

STILL wearing GREAT. I can't believe how long these tires are lasting with MY type of driving

I recently did some pulling in dirt with them in 4x4 low - I had a branch hanging in a tree in my yard, about 800+ lbs of oak - 30+ feet long, hanging upside down in a tree where it broke off from the crown of the oak tree. Had to run a rope over a branch above it, and tied to the truck, to pull the branch UP to get it unstuck. No pulleys, so the rope was pretty tough to pull even without the weight.

In 4x4LOW, I pulled and pulled and pulled, and I NEVER slipped the tires in dirt. And this is Long Island dirt. Mostly sand, somewhat hard packed, but just riding the truck on it packed it down almost 2 inches so I have some nice ruts in my yard now where I was doing this. I was amazed I didn't lose traction.

Very happy overall, still balanced, etc. etc. etc.
It has been a year but can we have an update on the Dura Grapplers? How many miles do you have on them now? How is the wear? I have been researching and wear is the only downside I have heard?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
I think I have around 22K miles so far... I started out around 37K miles, and am currently nearing 59K miles, so 22K total.

The two originals still on the truck (see note below) are around 1/3rd the tread left. That's GREAT for my driving style, and the fact that I like to keep the pressure on the high side so they wear in the middle more.

That's the one thing about ANY tire really, if you keep the pressure high, they will wear faster.

Note: I ran over something in the space of two months, each time putting a hole in one tire, in one case big enough that two plugs didn't keep it from leaking. I ordered a replacement from Amazon, swapped the spare onto another rim, and am running the two new tires in the front. The rears are a pair of the originals that show around 1/3rd of their tread left. The two I replaced had about the same amount of tread, one of them is now the spare with a patch applied from the inside.

These tires never needed rebalancing, they have worn VERY well even for highway tires, handle very well even at larger-than-stock diameter, are quiet, and have generally never given me a problem.

For me, 22K miles on a set of tires is very good. I have been putting around 12K miles on a year (normal commute) and the rears generally wear faster. I rotate them every 6 months (6K miles) and that's the biggest reason they have lasted well.

Can't say enough good about these things. I WILL be getting another pair for the rear, when they are worn out far enough. I won't be rotating them again because of the new fronts.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:51 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had 2 sets on my old truck, lasted me about twice as long as any other set of tires did, which isn't much really, I put a set on my new truck as well, I also love these tires.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:39 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
After selling my truck a few months ago, I had to go back and report how much I liked these tires. The rears I wore out near the end of the tread because I didn't rotate them, bought two new ones, and swapped front to back. I can't say enough good things about these tires. I'm a Goodyear guy, but these tires really worked quite well. If I ever get back into a pickup truck, they will be the first things I consider.