Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Open chat thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:34 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Open chat thread

This thread is open for practically any discussion you would like. Weather, what you are doing, favorite race driver what have you.

Don't watch all that much tv lately, so can't comment on any of that, don't keep up with NASCAR or NHRA, so I have no clue how anyone is doing there... I do know that my lane was a bit of a mud bog for a bit, but is getting better finally... if I didn't actually need to get through it, it could have been fun... Right now, it has some pretty deep ruts in it from my 86 going through...

Hey Lisa, I am picking up up a new code reader, it says it is CAN compliant, may have to see how well it works. It is one that hooks up to a PC, so have to see how the laptop works with it. Got it to try to figure out a problem with my dad's Caravan.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:53 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, my name is Adam. Matt Kenseth is my favorite driver.

Nascar is actually kinda interesting this year, seems like everything is flipped upside down. Even though it's only been two races, there are a number of guys in the top 12 in points, like Mikey Waltrip, that you'd never expect to be there.

Definitely can't wait for things to dry up and warm up. Trying to park the semi in the yard sure leaves both the truck and yard a mess.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:08 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I hear ya on the soft ground... gotta be making some marks with the rig... My little Cavalier looks like I take it mud running lately, had mud splashed over the roof even. Had to give it heck before I got to the real soft area so I could get through it... I haven't been brave enough to go out in the field, but also out of courtesy to the tenents...

Old 02-26-2009, 01:56 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great idea having an open chat thread, Roger...

Getting rained on right now, and I rode out a bit of hail in a metal-roofed shed earlier today. The ground is pretty well saturated, so there's gonna be some ruts to fill in when it gets dry enough to do it without sinking halfway to China. My daily driver Ranger has a healthy application of the world's finest farmland on the mudflaps, and I got stuck the other day, because I got fooled by 55 degrees in February and my own laziness in not checking that I'd be able to get through in my 4cyl 4x2. I did manage to get out myself, but it took awhile and it was'nt much fun.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by FarmForward
that I'd be able to get through in my 4cyl 4x2. I did manage to get out myself, but it took awhile and it was'nt much fun.
You farm and own a 2wd vehicle??
Isn't that a cardinal sin as a farmer??

Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Poor men have poor ways, I guess. My last two trucks have been 2wd's. All I tend to use them for is to haul things. To feed cattle I use a tractor, so I can carry two bales at the same time or I can pull around a gravity box, and to check cattle I tend to either use the tractor or my four-wheeler. I also have a Bronco, which is a 4x4, but it's not really a "truck" in the strictest sense, to my mind anyway. I've owned 4x4 trucks in the past, and they're definitely useful, but I get by for the most part without that front axle. Just have to watch what I'm doing and know where I can and can't go.

My grandad farmed for more than 60 years, and never had a 4x4 truck, a four-wheeler, or a tractor of more than 75 horsepower, so it can be done.

As for it being a cardinal sin... well, I'm not hearing any more thunder, but I've been fooled before.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:43 PM
stryder
Fleet Mechanic
Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by farmb0y
You farm and own a 2wd vehicle??
Isn't that a cardinal sin as a farmer??
He who farms and drives a 2wd, is one with the truck and truly knows the art of driving! Live and learn Grasshopper.

I've gotten in and out of a lot of slop with a 2wd truck. It truly makes you a better driver.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I have run 2wd in the mud, definitely can be a challenge... Right now, I am running a 91 Cavalier through the muck... hopefully this rain will solidify things a bit, the frost has been keeping it pretty soft... We only have 2wd tractors, with minimal tread at that... certainly keeps things interesting.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:14 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by stryder
He who farms and drives a 2wd, is one with the truck and truly knows the art of driving! Live and learn Grasshopper.

I've gotten in and out of a lot of slop with a 2wd truck. It truly makes you a better driver.
I'll agree that 2wd can make you a lot better driver!
I've been told by a neighbor that has always owned a 2wd (doesn't farm but does cut and split a lot of firewood) that if he can't get through it with 2wd, he doesn't need to be out.
Also that 4x4 just gets you stuck deeper!! I can't argue those points.
I have learned to go as far as you can in 2wd, once you get stuck, use 4x4 to get yourself out.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:09 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Ugh, I'm tired...last few nights being up late then up early preparing for a test today in Calculus... another one Tuesday in Statics... I'm looking forward to spring break. If anyone is up for a bit of a meet either the 14th of March, or possibly the 21st, I don't have to worry about class, maybe not even work...

Old 03-01-2009, 07:09 PM
stryder
Fleet Mechanic
Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by fellro86
Ugh, I'm tired...last few nights being up late then up early preparing for a test today in Calculus.
I feel your pain there Roger. I dont miss college one bit. Wife keeps bugging me to go back, but I doubt I ever will...at least not for my original majors anyway. My second year I skipped all the electives and concentrated stictly for my double major in Biology/Chemisty. 1st semester was Advanced Calc, Chemistry 2, Physics 2, and Genetics. There were several 24-36 hours runs between sleep.
If I go back to school it will be stictly automotive based, but that is more of a dream than reality. I'd love to get back to painting full time, but I've been out of it for over 10 years and SO much has changed.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:12 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Well, with my back fried, I figured next best thing was to put all my experience and knowledge to use in the engineering sector, mostly looking at the production side. I think R&D would likely end up boring me to tears... I'm more into the actual production. Got a Statics test now coming up Tuesday, and should be studying for that, but trying to fend off a friggin' migraine...

Old 03-01-2009, 11:05 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Must be something in the air, Roger... I've been dealing with a migraine all weekend. They have'nt been too severe, so I've been working through them as best I can. Once in awhile I have a real doozy, though, and there's nothing that will touch those. Just have to wait them out...

Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I get them somewhat regular after my back surgery. At least I haven't had one for 21 days straight again... that sucked. I did manage to get it knocked down enough to do some studying...

On a different note, my dad isn't fairing so well on tractors lately. Split a tire on the 684, so we got a good used one put on it. Then he cut one on the 856, not sure if it can be saved yet, then a rod air conditioned the block on the 684... been an expensive week.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Dang, Roger. What a week! What do you plan to do with the 684?

Quick Reply: Open chat thread