1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

U-joint Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:22 PM
seawulff
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U-joint Replacement

I finally figured out what has been causing a grumbling noise when I drive my '56 F100. After lubricating the U joints it's gone! How do I know if I have wrecked the U-joint and need to replace them and how is it done. Are there any special tools that are needed? If lubricating the joint elimnates the noise am I ok or is the damage already done. I probably have driven the truck 200 miles more or less prior to lubing the joints. I thought the noise was coming from my brakes but after readjusting them 50 times and replacing a leaking wheel cylinder without eliminating the noise I finally looked for another cause-I hope not too late.
Thanks,
Chris

Old 02-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by seawulff
I finally figured out what has been causing a grumbling noise when I drive my '56 F100. Chris

Have you been driving around with my ex-wife again?

This will bump your thread to the top for the real experts to see.

Is it hard to change a u joint? Not after the first 10 or 20, they do have a propensity (always wanted to use that word) for a needle bearing to fall down inside the cup and make pressing it completely back together nearly impossible (without breaking something). With patience you can do it in a large vise with sockets to support the yoke etc.

How long have they been in there? Are you just driving around town, if so see if it rumbles again and how soon and just greaser up again, if planning a long trip and the worry factor is around, then change them, and if having trepidations about changing them yourself, just take the drive shaft with new u-joints to a shop and have them change them, sometimes much cheaper?

“But hey, I have been wrong before and it sure keeps me humble”

Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 PM
seawulff
Tuned
Thanks for the input. I was wondering who the woman sitting next to me was. I just drive around town short trips, under 10 miles usually. I imagine the U-joints have been in for 50+ years but the truck hasn't moved for 25 years until recently. I am somewhat of a perfectionist so I suspect I will try and replace them and then curse that fact that I didn't leave well enough alone.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:21 PM
lew52
Postmaster
The grease will only last a short time... You can do it with a big vise but a small press is best....If you dont have the tools its best to take it shop & get it done

Old 02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
edzakory
Elder User
I have replaced them in my Jeep for both the front 4x4 axle and driveshaft: at times they can be difficult to remove.

I've tried Harbor Freight's U-joint remover; what a POS! The C-clamp cracked at the bend as it could not produce enough pressure. A hydraulic press is best. However, I was able to use a large hammer, thick walled socket of the proper size, and a vise.