"Water Channels(I think that's what they r called?)"

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 06:23 PM
IES
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I have a 1990 F150, Std.Cab. I'm about to repaint the truck and I was looking at that trim or water channel things over the driver and passenger windows and wanted to know if there was any way to remove these things to kind of give the truck a smoother look?
Is there any side effects this could bring by removing this(water leaks)?
Would this be a difficult thing(money wise) to do?
How would they take it off if it's possible?

Thanks for any help!

Old 12-04-2002, 08:34 PM
94Bronco58
Senior User

Hi, you ccould probably grind them off with a disc grinder, but not too far down, and then put bondo along it to smoothen it out, I only reccommend this if you want to repaint it. I don't know, they don't really serve a purpose, if it rains, it rains.

Old 12-08-2002, 09:38 PM
Rosati
Postmaster

Rain gutters, drip rails, you name it, they are there to shed water from thedoor openings and from running down the windshield. When its raining and you open your door, the water running off the roof will splash your head or seat pretty quickly. It is common to remove these if you want a smoother look.
However, I should warn you that it will not be as easy as putting filler over it. The gutter is sandwiched between the roof and the door pillar and spot welded. The proper way would to cut it off with a cutoff tool and grind it flush with the cab. Sandblast along the seam to remove all rust and paint. Now MIG weld it usung gas, not flux cored wire and weld only about an inch at a time, spacing the welds to prevent warping. As the welds cool, you can sticch to welds to create a full bead around the entire cab. Don't forget the rest of the seams running behind the doors and behind the cab as this will all be in-line around the entire cab. This should run you a full weekend to complete less the painting if your luck. Finish sand, prime, paint and enjoy.

Old 12-11-2002, 09:43 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts