Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Elder User

fishforlife2007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
cai and throttle body spacer??????

hey guys.... i have a 95 f150 with a 4.9 I6...i was considering putting on a cai, but having a difficult time finding one online. all i can find is a attachment to throw a oversized filter on the end of the stock intake tube where the airbox normally attaches... Anyone out there got a 4.9 with a different intake.? Where did you get it from???? also, when searching for this intake it seemed like i kept on stumbling past these throttle body spacers..... are they worth a crap or what??? They are relatively inexpensive..... Thanks!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:58 AM
You Keep What You Kill

Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
You may be able to use the CAI kit for the 1995 F150 5.8L engine. Take a look at the installation guide to see if the 5.8L engine compartment is similar to your truck. As for a throttle body spacer, I hear that they are a waste of $$$ on fuel injected engines.

57-2542 - K&N 57 Series FIPK, Performance Intake Kit

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-2542_inst.pdf

Click the image to open in full size.

2005 F-350 XL, 4X4, RCLB, 5.4L 3V, TorqShift®, 4.10 LS, K&N CAI Kit, SCT Livewire w/ Custom Tunes from 5 Star Tuning
Old 02-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Elder User

thanks furian.... i dont believe that that perticular intake would work for me... do you really think that those spacers arent worth it? Anyone else have a cold air intake or just that filter attachment on their truck?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 PM
You Keep What You Kill

Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
Have looked at this K&N filter? I have a similar filter on my 1997 F250 5.8L and it does improve performance and has a cool "jet engine" sound!

57-2503 - K&N 57 Series FIPK, Performance Intake Kit

This is the filter that I have on my F250. It is almost the same filter.

63-1014 - K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kits, Performance Intake Kit

2005 F-350 XL, 4X4, RCLB, 5.4L 3V, TorqShift®, 4.10 LS, K&N CAI Kit, SCT Livewire w/ Custom Tunes from 5 Star Tuning
Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Post Fiend

Conanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud of
Both these items are a complete waste of money, put it into an exhaust system instead. Just for comparison I have a motor making nearly 300hp through the stock airbox and filter, the I6 is rated at what...150hp?

1990 5.0HO AOD XLT X-Cab F150 3.55LS, 1994 3.0L 5-sp x-cab Ranger 3.45, 2004 3.0L 5-sp X-cab Ranger Edge 4.10, 2004 2.5L 5-spd Subaru Legacy
1996 Kawasaki ZX11D, 2004 Honda 599, 2008 Kawasaki KLR650
Old 02-26-2009, 12:32 AM
You Keep What You Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conanski View Post
Both these items are a complete waste of money, put it into an exhaust system instead. Just for comparison I have a motor making nearly 300hp through the stock airbox and filter, the I6 is rated at what...150hp?
A new exhaust system is the next item on the list of mod's for my truck... all in good time. I believe that a CIA kit will enhance an exhaust system so I do not see it as a waste of money. Just my opinion...

Old 02-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Elder User

i think that im gunna have to side with furian, i dont believe that a CAI is a wast of money by any means....now as far as that throttle body spacer.... it is sounded like it is...
Old 06-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Freshman User

jbracefan1977 is starting off with a positive reputation.
hey fishforlife2007 did you get the CAI yet? I have the same K&N also and love it, I could have found it a little cheaper on ebay, but I wanted a valid warranty so I got it at here. K&N 57-2542, or you can try one of the vendors on the forum here, you can usually find a good deal that way as well. This was very easy to install and I love it.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishforlife2007 View Post
hey guys.... i have a 95 f150 with a 4.9 I6...i was considering putting on a cai, but having a difficult time finding one online. all i can find is a attachment to throw a oversized filter on the end of the stock intake tube where the airbox normally attaches... Anyone out there got a 4.9 with a different intake.? Where did you get it from???? also, when searching for this intake it seemed like i kept on stumbling past these throttle body spacers..... are they worth a crap or what??? They are relatively inexpensive..... Thanks!
If you do an online search for “air filter test” there is a lot of very good information. IMHO, the CAI units are NOT WORTH THE $$! Unless you are talking about a system that was specifically designed for a specific application there are very little hp/tq gains actually achieved in a street use vehicle and there are very few docs that these mfg’s can produce that actually show an increase in hp/tq in the power-band range of a relatively stock street vehicle.

I would avoid oil impregnated filters. While they have their purpose in off-road applications, Ford/GM/Dodge all have “watch-out” bulletins where the oil has contaminated intake sensors. - they even have a training video for the tech's on this (flatratetech.com) .

If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering, for a fraction of the price! The OE’s have an excellent air intake system the only issue that really exists is the plastic intake tube with it’s noise canceling design- that does reduce the intake efficiency a little but makes it very quiet!. You can use a WIX OEM HP replacement filter in the OEM plastic manifold box and either remove the plastic tube and replace it with a piece of pipe/hose, etc or remove the tube completely and replace the tube by building an air ram type intake into the air box manifold (where the pipe use to attach)- make sure ti terminates above the fan shroud to avoid water intake or fan induced pulsations
Old 06-08-2009, 03:20 PM