Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2001, 09:20 PM
New User

seidler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Boost Actuator

I tried the adjustment today and can't believe it. I have made many of this type of tweak on many vehicles over the years that either did nothing or messed something up. This works! On my 01 I went from 8 lbs max to 10 lbs in 1st & 2nd and 10.5 or so in 3rd and 4th. It really made a seat of the pants difference. It took maybe 5 minutes to do. I still run vacuum when cruising, even at 90. If I lightly give it throtle the needle starts of the bottom smoothly.

I am not sure exactly how it works or if Ford uses this to limit boost to 8 lbs or what, but I can teell a seat of the pants difference. It made as much differece as the chip.

Can someone explain exactly what it does and what changing the adjustment (which by the way was in the middle stock) can caus that might be detrimental?
Old 07-08-2001, 07:15 AM
New User

MAK347 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Boost Actuator

Can you tell me exactly how you increased the boost? Which way did you turn the actuator - clockwise or counter clockwise and how much? I've got an '01 and just ordered a Diablo computer chip through Ken and Danny from this web page - I'll let you know the results from my seat o pants meter.

Mike K
Old 07-08-2001, 09:13 AM
New User

Boost Actuator

You don't turn the actuator. You loosen the mouunting bracket. The left side on the bracket mount is slotted. If you look at the stock possition you need to note and mark it with a sharpie or something so you can easily go back to stock if needed. I moved it maybe 1/8" down from stock. The key is to get an improvement without causing it to booast at small throttle possitions. In my case I was lucky the 1st time. If you over adjust it just move it again/

Regarding the chip issue! I have a Diablo chip.
1: Received it, installed it.
Detonated in 2nd gear and up at full throttle and shifted way to harsh at partial throttle.
2: Sent it back FedEX
Shifted stock and still detonated in 3rd and 4th
3: Sent it back again
Shifted harsh again and did not detonate
4: Shifts harder than stock (still a bit to harsh in my opinion) unless you are at 1/16 throttle or less and seems to run OK. I am not sure by the seat of the pants if it makes as much difference as they say. The boost adjustment was more of an improvement in my opinion.
Old 07-08-2001, 10:17 PM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Boost Actuator

Concerning the Diablo chip, it sounds like either you weren't running premium OR the chip was not the correct code. Has your truck been reflashed at any time (dealers will sometimes reflash it when you have it in for service without telling you)? The Diablo should have made a huge difference. Like the diesels, the Lightning's engine responds incredibly well to chipping, on the order of 30 horse-power.

Ken Payne
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Admin

Old 07-08-2001, 10:59 PM
New User

Boost Actuator

1: Yes I was running 93 octane and the chip was reflashed by Diablo and the chip was correct for the 2001. All 2001 have the same computer where the 99/00's could be different.

2: I have been in contact with many 2001 owners who have had similar chip experiences with the 2001 chips. It seems the 2001 use diferent mapping and they have not got it quite right yet. The shifting seems to be a real issue. It may be that Ford is doing a better job and the tweaking is not so easy to get an improvement as before.

3: Do not believe everything you read and hear. I have never heard of a chip company, or any aftermarket company. claim that they cannot give you an improvement.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:30 PM
New User

Rgig is starting off with a positive reputation.
Boost Actuator

Alright guys... I just got my 2001 and I do not understand what we are talking about. Is the actuator the part that is on the intake and has the cooper tube coming our of it? If so, the braket on mine is not sloted.

I need a little further description so I can play too.

I already have a chip and I am most interested in this accumulator idea.

I've had it two weeks, already 2,000 miles are on it. I've used the excuse to run to the store to pick something way too many times.

I noticed a slight hesitation in third gear around 3,200 RPM. This occurs under agressive acceleration and/or WOT. Moderate no problem. It just seams to hesitate and then move on. 1st and 2nd gear appear to be fine. Any ideas???

I live in the Dallas area and would appreciate any supportive input on this.

Thanks in advance,

Rick
Old 07-16-2001, 11:58 AM
New User

Rgig is starting off with a positive reputation.
Boost Actuator

Easy enough. I moved mine about 1/16th maybe less and it's hitting a good nine lbs and ten around 4,800 RPM. I play with it more later but this did work pretty well.

I live in Dallas and it's a little too hot for optimal testing (i.e., trial and error).

Has anyone tried water wetter for the intercooler fluid?
Old 07-16-2001, 04:17 PM
New User

Boost Actuator

I run water wetter in the intercooler and the engine. I do not know if it does anything, but it sounds like the thing to do.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:54 PM
Freshman User

Rez is starting off with a positive reputation.
Boost Actuator

Please send another link where I can see pictures of this.

Thank you..

Rez
Old 11-26-2002, 10:07 PM
Senior User

Doorgunner808 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Boost Actuator

2004 Crown Victoria LX
1978 Mustang
1937 Chevy 3100 Jag V12 powered Rat Rod
Old 11-26-2002, 10:07 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150