Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Nebraska Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Senior User

Links_vette is starting off with a positive reputation.
In need of Mechanical assistance in Omaha

Hi guys. I'm not a member of the Nebraska Chapter but am intending on joining you at the up coming meeting to see what it is all about.

In the mean time I'm in need of some help. I'm looking for someone who could come over to my garage to help me figure out why I'm not getting spark on my recently purchased '49 F1 w/ a 226. I've rewired most of the electicals to 12v, replaced most if not all of the distributor components/ cables/ wires and have no clue what to do next. I consider myself a shade tree parts hanger and this has gone outside my ability and understanding.

I've got a little bit of cash available, a heated garage, and a fridge that can easily be populated with additional bud light or beverage of your choice.

List of replaced parts:
Ign. coil
condesor
rotor
coil to dist (+) wire
Internal dist wires (+ and ground)
coil to cap center plug wire
all 6 plug wires (replaced with 8mm high conductivity wire)
6v battery to 12v battery

Tests passed:
points closed have circuit between block and + input on side of dist (output of coil)
points open no circuit (not grounded out/shorted)
with key on 12.5v coming into ign. coil and distributor
point gap verified at .025
conductance tests on on new plug wires

Test Failed:
in line spark indicator (light bulb thing) place between plug and plug wire
dist cap off, turning over -> no spark seen between points
Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Nebraska Chapter LDR

67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation
Let me see if I can get a few of the experts on, and see what we can do!
Pat W. Nebraska Chapter Leader and Official #1 Slackmaster/ Avid Hater of all things wintery
2006 F-250 "Black" ARP studs, EGR delete, SCT tuner
1967 F-100 Project thread

RIP SteveBricks-We'll miss you, bud. CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE NEBRASKA CHAPTER!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Postmaster

RedUgly77 has a great reputation on FTE.RedUgly77 has a great reputation on FTE.RedUgly77 has a great reputation on FTE.RedUgly77 has a great reputation on FTE.
speedway sells a 12 volt conversion book.

The Official 12 Volt Conversion Guide
$11.99

They also have a electrical handbook for $14.99
AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICAL HANDBOOK

1956 F-100 //// 1997 Ranger XLT
-Dallas
Nebraska
Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Postmaster

RedUgly77 has a great reputation on FTE.RedUgly77 has a great reputation on FTE.RedUgly77 has a great reputation on FTE.RedUgly77 has a great reputation on FTE.
Found the same book at Fifth Avenue Internet Garage for $10
Fifth Avenue Internet Garage

1956 F-100 //// 1997 Ranger XLT
-Dallas
Nebraska
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Post Fiend

husker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to behold
Links_vette, have you tried posting your questions on the 48-60 forum here at FTE. Those guys and gals are real good about helping trouble shoot just the type of problem you are dealing with. If I was in Omaha I'd try to give you a hand, but I'm 3 hrs away.

Have you verified that the new coil is OK? It is probably something simple, but I don't have the knowledge to really help except to trace things like you have done.
78 Bronco
54 F250
64 Thunderbird
Old 02-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Senior User

I bought the coil from LMC along with all of the other parts... it would be simple and cheap to pick up a new one from NAPA on my way home and test that idea.

As for posting to the year specific area, yes I have, and have completed all additional replacements and tests they've suggested. I seem to have exhausted their suggestions, which is why I'm looking for hands on assistance. Sometimes it just takes another set of eyes to see the issue.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Post Fiend

husker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to behold
I know that one too. Sometimes if you walk away from it for a day or two and then come back the glitch will just pop out and you'll see what you missed.
78 Bronco
54 F250
64 Thunderbird
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Post Fiend

fordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to behold
I live in omaha and I am cheap. as in free. you going to be around tomrrow night?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Post Fiend

fordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to behold
sounds like a possible bad pick up coil inside the distributer. I don't think its grounding correctly. they are somewhat tough to replace tho. I can do it if u pick one up
Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Senior User

that's greatly appreciated, i'll send you a PM with my info
Old 02-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Post Fiend

sounds good, i replied.

ill try to do a little research on it
Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Post Fiend

i dont see anything about a pickup coil in a 226 ford. Is there another name for the little round deal that is inside the distributor that sends the signal to ground?

ive never worked on anything this old
Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Post Fiend

im going to pm numberdummy, bill will know
Old 02-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Senior User

the negative/ground wire is attached directly to the "cup" or dist body. After reviewing Julies 12V conversion diagram's i'm wondering if i have a basic wiring issue.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Post Fiend

ok, there should be a little deal that turns with the shaft inside and looks like a 6 point start deal that sends the voltage to ground creating a HUGE negative electric spark, creating the spark

here is a picture..... you might pick up the armature at the store as well. the parts shouldnt be very high prices

http://www.familycar.com/CLASSROOM/I...PickupCoil.gif
Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Nebraska Chapter

Tags
54, center, crank, dead, f250, locate, top, triton, v8