Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 AM
New User

dgsone is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool Wierd Steering Problem

I just replaced the ball joints in my 01 f250SD 4x4. Now I have this steering issue. It's not really a wander but when driving and you turn a corner it does not seem to want to come back straight and once it does it seems to want to go the other direction. Sometimes it will correct it's self and drive fine. does anyone out there have any suggestions?? I have been chasing this problem ever since it put the ball joints in. Thanks
Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Senior User

Moto52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you ever changed your front axle shaft U joints?? if not they will sieze up and cause very strange steering problems.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:03 AM
New User

No I have not. That was what I was leaning toward. Do you have any recommendations for the U-Joints. Thanks
Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 AM
Posting Guru

bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Play with the U joints first see if you can tell if they are seized, could be the Ball Joints just need to be broken in a little, some are stiff when new.

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Old 02-24-2009, 08:39 AM
New User

As far as I know the U-joints are originals. Sounds like that may be my problem
Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Postmaster

brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasz1 View Post
Play with the U joints first see if you can tell if they are seized, could be the Ball Joints just need to be broken in a little, some are stiff when new.
x2. I'm coming up on some ball joint work and most of what I've read has said it takes some time to break in the new joints. I don't know what brand you use but some have said it takes 1-2K miles before it loosens up and rides nice...
Waiting in the Garage: MBRP exhaust, ISSPRO EV2 gauges, EBPV delete pedestal
Old 02-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Postmaster

Beerstalker has a very good reputation on FTE.Beerstalker has a very good reputation on FTE.Beerstalker has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yes it has been talked about a few times especially with the MOOG joints. They start off a little stiff and take a while to break in, then the steering will return to normal.
Recon Smoked Cab, Mirror, and Brake Lights
MSD Dashhawk w/A Pillar Mount
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Lund Eclipse Window Vents
Weatherguard Toolbox
Old 02-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
If you have the problem with the front hubs unlocked, I don't see how it could be the front axle u-joints.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 02-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Senior User

Sooper-Doodie is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just did the same job you did, I have stiffness in the steering also. This is due to the ball joints being stiff-as-hell. They will wear in, just bear with it.

I called MOOG a week ago and they stated that the joints are made with tesion to promote better break-in.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Senior User

BTW: there are some things you can do to combat the stiff steering.

1. find a nice, quiet country road, drive slowly and steer the living hell out of it. Mine felt pretty good after about 5 miles of steering-craziness.

2. Jack the truck up and pump more grease into the joints.

3. Remove your steering stabilizer for a little while until the joints wear in. It will make the stiffness less harsh.

In the end, they will wear in. I have about 200 miles on mine now and they are a little stiff still.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Posting Guru

bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchamberlain View Post
If you have the problem with the front hubs unlocked, I don't see how it could be the front axle u-joints.
Actually that's not correct, even with the hubs unlocked if the front U joint spins at all and ends up so when you turn the seized joint won't want to let the wheel turn or return until it is forced to move(hence the hard turning pressure) or it spins ever so slightly so it will turn. Unless it is frozen in both directions and if that's the case it will give your steering fits.

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Actually that's not correct, even with the hubs unlocked if the front U joint spins at all and ends up so when you turn the seized joint won't want to let the wheel turn or return until it is forced to move(hence the hard turning pressure) or it spins ever so slightly so it will turn. Unless it is frozen in both directions and if that's the case it will give your steering fits.
Actually, it is correct as there is NO mechanical link driving the axle shaft when the hubs are unlocked, just friction. Any motion from the knuckle is either going to cause the u-joint to slow down or speed up to get past the "binding" point.

If the u-joint is siezed, the axle shaft will adjust speed when the knuckle is moved as its not mechanically connected in the hub if the hub is unlocked. All in all, if the hubs are verified "unlocked" you won't feel any feedback from them if they are siezed or not unless it's in 4x4.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:18 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooper-Doodie View Post
Actually, it is correct as there is NO mechanical link driving the axle shaft when the hubs are unlocked, just friction. Any motion from the knuckle is either going to cause the u-joint to slow down or speed up to get past the "binding" point.

If the u-joint is seized, the axle shaft will adjust speed when the knuckle is moved as its not mechanically connected in the hub if the hub is unlocked. All in all, if the hubs are verified "unlocked" you won't feel any feedback from them if they are seized or not unless it's in 4x4.
Sorry but I don't agree, if the joint is seized it will hold up the turning of the hub because it is going through the hub, supported by bearings. If it is stuck in position by a frozen joint when you try to turn against the frozen position it will play havoc with your steering. Had the problem on my ex Bronco, if the seized joint turned at all it would grossly affect how straight the truck went and how it turned.

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Senior User

cowboyup1988 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i had the same steering problem. it pulled be left of center then i corrected it but then it threw me off the road into a damn ditch. no damage to the truck or anything but i drove it to the dealership and told them to fix it. it turned out to be the front U-joints were bad and they replaced both sides. that's what you need to do is replace your front U-joints ASAP.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
Quote:
Sorry but I don't agree, if the joint is seized it will hold up the turning of the hub because it is going through the hub, supported by bearings. If it is stuck in position by a frozen joint when you try to turn against the frozen position it will play havoc with your steering. Had the problem on my ex Bronco, if the seized joint turned at all it would grossly affect how straight the truck went and how it turned.
While I would agree that a front axle u-joint COULD be so frozen as to make it difficult to turn the wheel, I find it highly unlikely that one would be so. If it were, engaging 4WD would likely be a bit catastrophic, and that problem would have been discovered by now.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 02-25-2009, 12:05 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1993, adjust, e250, f150, f350, feeling, ford, front, noise, problems, steering, sterring, strange, turning, ujoint, wheel, wobbling, yoke