1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What do you say?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
What do you say?

Ever since I have been driving my 53, there are few rides where someone doesn't try to buy it from me.
I started out throwing outrageous prices out there, but had one fellow start counting out $100 bills
Finally figured out what to tell them, I give them the wife's phone # and tell them if the lady that answers the phone say's to sell, then it's their's. If I was to sell my truck without her, I'd probably have to buy another before I got home, Hmmmm....... Nah, I don't need another project right now.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:34 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,832 Likes on 1,833 Posts
When I first read your post my thoughts were that my truck wasn't for sale, but as I got to typing I figured that if the right price came along I would probably part company with it. I have no idea what the right price is.............

My wife does not have any attachement to my truck, there wouldn't be any problems with convincing her. She doesn't really care as long as I have some kind of problem and will stay out of her hair....lol

Bobby

Old 02-24-2009, 07:56 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i love my truck, but! if money was right , i think i would let it go. can always create a new toy with knowledge learned from one and parlay into another. just my 2 cents.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
It's an interesting question... is it just the money that would make me want to sell, or is it the lure of some new adventure? Probably both...

Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
For me it depends on which of my trucks. My baby, the F-2, there isn't enough money in the world. It belonged to my dad, at a small percentage did, and I spent many hours in the truck with my day when I was a kid. The panel, well, I'd have to think about it but if someone was foolish enough to start counting $100 bills until I said stop, then I'd have to sell it. Same with the F-4.

Another thing to think about is the fact I have heard on this board, and others, many times about how some one bought their vehicle, spent uncountable hours working on it and then sold it for what they thought was a great price only to rue their decision a short time later for one reason or another.

If I was ever the situation you described I would never tell them to check with the wife. Next to god my wife and her family worship money over anything else. If some one was to call may wife and ask if they could buy one of my trucks she'd tell them they could have all of them and when they come to get them they could back up to my shop and load all the truck "junk" I have. I couldn't get home fast enough to stop the purge. I let my wife do what she wants but she knows not to screw with my truck stuff.

Another thing, if you want people to stop asking about your truck paint it and make it look nice. I dragged beater trucks home and have gone through numerous towns while doing it. Never fails, I get dozens of thumbs up and if I stop for gas I always have people come up and check it out. I bought my panel in PA and trailered it back to WI, an 800 mile one way trip. The panel looked like a show truck from a distance, which it was not, and I didn't get one thumbs up and I didn't have one person even glance at it during my numerous stops during the trip. For some reason if your vehicle is run down people will notice it, or at least let you know they're interested in and when it's all dressed up no one will notice.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know my ol' 53 aint no beauty queen , never will be but i get that all the time too . after they realize its still running around under flathead power it seems to escalate . i have unfortuneately had to get rather " coarse " with a couple of people who didnt seem to understand either the n or o in NO !! . GOT STOPPED UPTOWN HERE NOT TO LONG AGO BY A CWLP WORKER ON A JOB SITE { CITY WATER LIGHT AND POWER = CWLP } ooops the caps was on ....... well anyway he offeres me 10,000 right there and all i said was no and was thinking to myself , does he really think this ol' work truck is worth that kinda money ?????? fools and their money ....................

Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
For me the joy is more in the building than the owning...kinda like the old line about the journey being more pleasurable than the inn at the end of the road. I think that many of us are that way, that's why we always have at least one project in the works. Many years ago I built a 1974 LUV truck...put a 307 SBC engine and a 9 in Ford rearend in it. Painted it bright yellow and drove the wheels off it going back and forth to the desert with the dune buggies. I sold it to a guy I knew because he thought it was really cool and I thought that he would enjoy owning it as much as I did building it. I lost track of him and the truck but some 10 years later I saw the truck on the road here in town. I had to smile because it was still bright yellow and still looked just the same as the day I finished it. The truck now had a new owner and when I stopped to talk to him about the truck I was more than a little amused when he told me how he built it himself! It stills makes me laugh now just thinking about it...

Old 02-24-2009, 10:16 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the price is right....it is for sale!!!!!
I can always find another one!!! Or a bettr one...haha!!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Links_vette
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you say you can always find another one... but for how much longer? How many of these vehicles that are still in a repairable state are there?
Personally I'm a '68 - '73 Corvette guy but happened into my '49 F1 when my neighbor's wife was screaming "DIVORCE" and he sold it to me just to spite her.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:33 AM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Well you all know that when a guy from SC bought the coe I had on ebay, he ended up leaving with the 51F6 Tow truck. He counted out hundred dollar bills till I said ok. Then I let him load her up and drive away. I sure liked the feel of all the big bills.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have people asking me everywhere I go if my truck is for sale or how much it's worth. I just figured up all the reciepts since it was purchased, all the parts still in the garage, my time, and I just tell them if they want to buy it I'll sell it for $25,000 cash. That's usually followed by "How much?" or just straight silence. Rediculous, but then again so is walking through the grocery parking lot and having someone asking to buy your vehicle - like you are the only person who has one of these things. If I wanted to sell it, it would have a "For Sale" sign on it.

Somethimes I think folks like these old trucks for their looks, but still look at it as an old truck, and you'll would feel fortunate if they were to offer you $750 for it. Most people have no clue just how much of an investment a restoration is especially with customization - they want the "look."

I figure if someone walks to his car and pulls out a suitcase with $25K in it. I could probably be convinced to take the money, and use it to buy another truck. And this time, I'd have a much better idea of what I was going to do with it, how to do it, and what to look (and look out) for. That would certainly save a lot of money!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 AM
jbrittonjr
Junior User
I bought my F-3 from a family in Pennsylvania. It was not running, so I needed to use a trailer to retrieve it. My uncle & cousin came along for the retrieval as my uncle owned the truck & trailer I needed to haul the F-3 home. A portion of our trip was on a turnpike. On our way back, we needed to stop for fuel, so we used a service area. My cousin & I went into the restrooms, leaving my uncle with the trucks. When we returned I saw a group gathered around the F-3. My uncle was dickering, and if someone would have shown cash money, we could have sold the F-3 at a fair profit.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:45 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I plan on keeping my '48 F1 and '78 F150 at all costs. All the others I'd like to keep, but realistically speaking, if I never get the chance to build them, and I have to sell them, then so be it. (They all need alot of work, and that's up North/rustbelt standards)

On the other side of the fence: There's others that I'm still looking for, and since I still have some room out back....
I still want a 1940/41 Ford M&H 1.5 ton, an old panel such as a '29 Ford/42-47 Mercury/41-49 IHC, a 1951 Pontiac Business coupe, and a 1971 Barracuda. But others out there either won't sell that are close enough, or are in a price range I can't afford. I certainly don't have a pile of $100 bills to lay out, lol.

BTW, I just heard about this: http://www.news-journalonline.com/Ne...rane022409.htm

Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
.....Another thing, if you want people to stop asking about your truck paint it and make it look nice. I dragged beater trucks home and have gone through numerous towns while doing it. Never fails, I get dozens of thumbs up and if I stop for gas I always have people come up and check it out. .. For some reason if your vehicle is run down people will notice it, or at least let you know they're interested in and when it's all dressed up no one will notice.
Exactly! Towing mine home, it looked like hammered dog... well, you know. I had two offers within the first 75 miles! I should have taken them!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:27 PM
56 Sweety
Junior User
Folks ask " what's it worth" I tell em about 35K, then they ask, "what would you take for it", -- I tell em 85K !! -- NO SALE !!! =-- Do I like it ? - Nope, I love it !!

Quick Reply: What do you say?