1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The cost of Divorce and Old Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:05 AM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I have not yet been married, I know I dealt with a few of my more serious, now ex girlfriends that had issues with my truck hobby. In all honesty my 52 was bought with the money I had been saving to buy one of them an engagement ring.

Thankfully, my current girlfriend is as backwoods country as I am and although she doesn't completely understand my love and interest in these old trucks, she doesn't mind. (In fact she has already said she wants to drive it). I can't complain at all or the least bit worried about that since she is use to driving around her dads 3/4 ton Ram diesel extended cab. I found myself a good one and hope to keep her

Old 02-24-2009, 10:07 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Excellent story...you are far better off now! As with many of us who are obsessed with old iron, we see what "could be" instead of "what is". We don't see the rusted pile of parts as junk, we see the shiny, smooth running truck waiting within the heap. Unfortunately many times we see people in the same manner, foolishly thinking that with love and proper attention we can transform them into our dream.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:12 AM
JDMick
Senior User
My wife and I have come to an unspoken understanding that she will tolerate my old car and truck hobby while I'll tolerate her unending need for home improvement projects. At least I don't ask her to help with any of my stuff. If your mate can't uderstand what it is that makes you happy then you're better off without them.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:12 AM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oddly, I was waiting for a punch line that never came. Sorry to find out the story was true.
<o></o>
Most women will never understand a man’s love affair with an old vehicle; the attachment is so much more than the sights and sounds of an assembly of discombobulating parts working in unison. It’s the memories: a throwback to a simpler time when the pressures of life were few and one’s dream’s fulfilled through your own creative genius.
<o></o>
My wife of 39 years doesn’t know a tailpipe from a carburetor but does understand my needs for achievement as I understand hers. I was also able to convince her that my skills as a plumber, roofer, appliance repairman, mechanic, painter, electrician, etc. were all side benefits of having the truck.

She even buys me tools for Christmas.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:13 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Too much of ANYTHING will ruin you. In this case---my wife would have said.....go get a job in a hot-rod shop or body shop, so you can use up all your fascination and truck -lust....haha
I hear guys that have trucks,etc., and their wives never want anything to do with his trucks.....and that is a clue to how much you can push the truck infatuation.....How many guys do you see at the carshow and their wives are home with the kids.....alot!!
Bill

Old 02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
.....How many guys do you see at the carshow and their wives are home with the kids.....alot!!
Bill
My wife and I have an understanding...I don't ask her to go to the car shows and she doesn't ask me to go the the quilt/bead/craft shows. That said, we do go together on occasion but it's never because it's expected.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Nuthin
Elder User
There's another side to this, you know.

Hell hath no fury like the dude who thinks you're so besotted with him that you'll just GIVE him your old Effie to play with.

You cannot imagine the look of disbelief on his face when he realizes he's NOT going to drop that CSB on your truck and turn it into HIS dream.

Some men can get pretty embarrassed to know their ladyfriend is driving around town in a scruffy-looking old truck.

"Would your husband sell that truck?" is NOT the wisest question to ask.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Nuthin
"Would your husband sell that truck?" is NOT the wisest question to ask.

You go, girl!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

I am blessed with a wife that loves my hobby. She takes great interest in all the modifications and repairs and can't wait to drive it on trips and to cruise nights. She likes to hang out with me in the garage while I putz on it and always checks out the latest addition. In fact, I wouldn't have the truck if she hadn't encouraged me to "get a hot rod". You gotta love a woman like that.

She just wishes it had a bench seat so she could slide over next to me while wearing my old letterman sweater.

I have always been saddened to hear about guys who have to put up with a lot of negative push about their hobby or have to hide the cost of stuff.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Alright, Yall know I got a story to tell as well here. I was married for 13 years to the devil's sister (He has more than one) anyway the whole time we were married, I told her about my mistress '56 F100's. Anyway we had 1 daughter (Victoria) and after my daughter was 6 months old my wife at the time told me she was leaving me I was SO happy!!! She was a constant pain and never wanted me to spend any time or money on my truck. She didnt want the baby the house or my truck. She wanted her car and the TV and the couch I know what the heck? right? anyway. I just spent more time with my baby girl and my truck and eventually met the PERFECT woman. She talked me into buying more trucks and a motorcycle. A long time ago before I got married the first time, a good friend told me that you wont be married a month before you figure out you've married your best friend or your worst enemy.

I've been on both sides of that fence and I much prefer my best freind. Oh and by the way, she's 8 years younger than me too That really ticked off the X when she found that out. I think we've all got a tail to tell when it comes to how we ended up with our current truck/wife. This is a great thread and I look forward to hearing more of you guys/gals stories.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:37 PM
james gang 1001
Senior User
My wife of 25 years kept complaining about my 3200 square foot shop being cluttered with my "stuff" ,( 55 F-100 that I've had for 33 years 2 boats, and the old nova soon to be hotrod) I was getting anoid at her pokin around and bitchin' so I just changed the locks on the doors and hid the remote door opener. Ha Ha

Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My wife calls my 55 'the mistress'.. funny to watch people try to react to that!.. you mean you ALLOW his mistress in the house? no, the garage!.. what fun.. she gets to spend on her hobbies what I spend on mine. She works too.

Sam

Old 02-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Rich55
Senior User
Great stories guys, and I fall right in the middle of them all. I'd give you mine but that would cover all of page three, LOL, What I'm worried about is the younger generation that have no idea of the trials and tribs, that life has to offer.
My second "55 I bought from a young fella that had fallen in love with it, he had it all torn down, mustang II IFS bought for it w/ the cross member welded in by the local rod shop, new crome and a lot of after market parts bought.
Anyway, he fell in love, she moved in, the truck went out in the rain w/ ALL the new parts still in boxes. This also included all the machined parts, such as roters, calipers ect.
I showed up just when the boxes were so wet, they had fallen off, the machined parts were just starting to rust and needless to say the crome wasn't doing well.
So,it was sold for pennies on the dollar, he lost his truck, ended up w/ the devils daughter, ( I met her ) for ever long that may be.
I've thought w/ the wrong head before, so I kind of under stand where his head is at, but there should be an easier way to start life out w/ out getting beat up.

RICH

Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
JDMick and Bobj49f2 are an exact replication of my wife. Doesn't like to spend...hates to see me spend, yet if we do spend it's on home improvement projects (not necessarily our house either) and the truck fund always takes a back seat to other stuff. Otherwise it would be about done by now but she'd own half, lol.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:52 PM
daves54
Elder User
I got my truck from my wifes grandfather. Title may even be in her name!!

Quick Reply: The cost of Divorce and Old Trucks