New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

84 F-250, Timing issues, I think, Long post sorry

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:18 PM
danhandled
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 84 F-250, Timing issues, I think, Long post sorry

I've recently aquired a 1984 ford F-250 with 46,000 original miles on it. It has what looks like a holley four barrel carb.

The truck has been sitting for a long time so first thing to do was clean out the gas tank and lines before trying to start it. I accidently found a trick to get it to run after turning it over and screwing with it for a couple hours, I pulled the coil wire off of the cap and rested it loosely where it belongs in order to check the spark and it fired right up(after a couple backfires and ran.Put the coil wire the rest of the way on and it dies. pull it back off and it seems to run ok, rough but ok

eventually after running it for quite some time I was able to fully attach the coil wire and I thought it seemed to run well enough to drive it home. 25 miles hwy. It ran fine for 3 or 4 miles through town then acted like it just ran out of gas,backfiring some if I try to force the throttle. When i let off the throttle let it idle and put it in neutral for a few seconds I can put it back in drive just long enough to get to about 30 and it falls on its face again ,like It was running the float bowl empty and the idling for a few seconds was allowing the elect.pump to fill the float bowl back up.But
I put a new fuel pump on it, changed the filters, tested the preasure and volume. They are correct. Still no change
When I got it home I put an Edlebrock 600 carb on it. No change, I stuck the timing light on it (with the vaccum adv.pulled and plugged) and it reads way out of time, the book says replace the IGNITION MODULE if this is the case. I did, No change. the timing still reads way off, but if I'm understanding the book correctly, I cannot turn the distributor to bring my timing back up because the module and the stator must be perfectly aligned. (also it seems to run too smoothly at idle and in neutral for the timing to be as far off as it suggests, )
sorry for the length of my post, any suggestions would be Greatly appreciated, Thanks , Dan

Old 02-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,351 Likes on 1,110 Posts
Welcome Dan, sounds like you have a neat and low mileage truck on your hands.
Unfortunately this forum doesn`t deal with any tech replies, if you know how to copy and paste so it`ll save you time, post this question in the 1980 - 1986 F100, F150 And Larger F-Series Trucks forum: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/
Also drop into your local Mo chapter to meet some new Ford truck friends there: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum104/