Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Dealer installed AC

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
1st I've seen of this thread too. Like you said - lots of good info.

I will add my share - which is pretty much posting a question that someone else asked that didn't get answered...

I'd like to use an aftermarket air system (don't want to punch the huge hole in the firewall for factory air even though I have the parts sitting here) because I think the new stuff might work better than the dealer add on IF I could even find one. Now I would like to run the thing with the dealer economy try switch pictures above (and many other times in this thread). Anyone see any issues with trying this?

Thats what I would like to do as well. But what I think would be an even better option is this. If you could run an aftermarket AC system like you said but control it with a factory AC/heater control head.
Thats not really an option for me because like I said my dash center vent hole is cut out too big to accept a factory AC center vent so I have to use the dealer AC center vent or change my dash, which I might do.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:47 PM
DL1221
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you guys seen this kit from Nostalgic Air:

1973 - 1979 Ford Truck F-series - Ford AC Kits for Trucks

Not cheap, but it's basically the same thing as the old dealer installed "economy" systems. Except I think this one has remote mounted controls, which I believe can be adapted to the factory style AC control panel(?). So if this works, you would have a factory looking AC system from inside the cab, but under the hood there would be no huge suitcase. Anyway, there's another thread around here where the Nostalgic Air guys jumped in and answered some questions (which I though was very nice of them).

Blown, since you said you were painting your truck anyway, why don't you just get a plain (no AC-holes dash) and put a fresh coat of paint on it, then just cut the holes for which ever system you end up using, and you'll have a perfect fit.

Steve, is this for your Green Monster? If so, I would do the same thing, use one of these aftermarket kits, instead of the Ford factory OEM system. Back in the days, when all the parts were still available, I rebuilt one of these factory systems to new condition, and I was never happy with how it worked. The only thing nice about it, is that it has a "vent" setting, which these aftermarket systems don't have (because they only recirculate the in-cab air). But in your case since you have that Cummins going in, not having that big AC suitcase gives you much more room, in case you ever want to add twins, or a BHAF.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The price tag on the AC systems always scare me away from really messing with them. I will put one in some day (yes in the big, green one!) but not yet.

I know how crappy both the old factory and dealer systems worked - so I was leaning on going to a new unit - but hopefully controlled by the dealer installed controls. Personally I like the looks of the dealer "economy" air controls that have been pictured here even more than the factory air and that is why I was looking at those.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Justin's Green Truck
Senior User
Yea, ,the one from nostalgic is nice. They make switch pods/bezels but im not sure where you would mount them and theyd look good. Probably the best way to go but if i could find one of those deluxe systems that would be really neat, since thats the first one id seen. Dont know how you could get your hands on one though. Im sure the kit from nostalgic could be controlled via the factory air conditioning controls given enough time and ingenuity.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Blown 331
The price tag on the AC systems always scare me away from really messing with them. I will put one in some day (yes in the big, green one!) but not yet.

I know how crappy both the old factory and dealer systems worked - so I was leaning on going to a new unit - but hopefully controlled by the dealer installed controls. Personally I like the looks of the dealer "economy" air controls that have been pictured here even more than the factory air and that is why I was looking at those.

Maybe we are thinking of 2 different things here but the factory AC controls that I know cant even really be noticed. On my non-AC truck my mode selector has off, heat and defrost. On factory AC trucks you just have a few more positions for AC on that same switch (lever).

I remember seeing dealer installed economy air in the junk yards. I really wish I would have snagged that up. Just finding a 73-79 in a junk yard at all is getting tough around this area.
I think my best option is probably use a factory AC donor truck, cut the big whole in the firewall and have a new dash painted. But I really don't want to change the dash or cut the hole so that kinda sucks. If I could find a dealer kit I think that would be ideal.
My dads 79 has the dealer kit and it did leave a little to be desired so maybe that options sucks too! lol.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Justin's Green Truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by Blown 331
Maybe we are thinking of 2 different things here but the factory AC controls that I know cant even really be noticed. On my non-AC truck my mode selector has off, heat and defrost. On factory AC trucks you just have a few more positions for AC on that same switch (lever).

I remember seeing dealer installed economy air in the junk yards. I really wish I would have snagged that up. Just finding a 73-79 in a junk yard at all is getting tough around this area.
I think my best option is probably use a factory AC donor truck, cut the big whole in the firewall and have a new dash painted. But I really don't want to change the dash or cut the hole so that kinda sucks. If I could find a dealer kit I think that would be ideal.
My dads 79 has the dealer kit and it did leave a little to be desired so maybe that options sucks too! lol.
That's correct, the factory AC switch panel just has more positions. Reason I know is someone gave me about 75% of a factory AC system for these trucks. But it was just too far gone to use. The big suitcase had multiple cracks and missing components among other things. And to me it's just not worth cutting the firewall to install 35 year old parts. So, when i get the cash ima buy the one from nostalgic.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Blown 331
Originally Posted by Justin's Green Truck
. And to me it's just not worth cutting the firewall to install 35 year old parts. So, when i get the cash ima buy the one from nostalgic.
Thats a very good point, I never looked at it that way. I really stumped on what I should do here.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Justin's Green Truck
Senior User
Thats a very good point, I never looked at it that way. I really stumped on what I should do here.
well, dont get me wrong, im all about things being factory looking and functioning. But, converting to a AC of any type is fairly involved and with the nostalgic unit, you dont have the huge heater box in the engine compartment and everything is new so you know it should work. And i say, if it functions well and is even less noticable and intrusive than a factory system, then thats the way to go. But they do have a price on it

Old 11-04-2009, 05:36 PM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
Have you looked at this thread yet? https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-c-system.html

Old 11-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Blown 331
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat
Have you looked at this thread yet? https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-c-system.html

Wow, that is awesome. I had seen that thread early on but not since the manufacturer started posting. I'm gonna plan on going with their kit after I get my truck back from paint. That sure makes things a lot easier on me for right now too. I don't have to worry about painting a different dash or cutting a hole in the firewall. And I still have that dealer air center vent/control if I want to do anything with that. Yeah it's a lot of money but its not that bad when you think about what you are getting. Thanks for everyones help.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 PM
gone
New User
Some real good information here. I have a 1977 Ford super cab. It has what I was told was a dealer installed A/C but it uses the Left vent, Center two vent and Right AC vents. Under the dash is two control *****. The heater and the A/C are one unit with two seperate motors. I have not seen anything like it on here. The expansion value is stuck and I am trying to find out what I have so I can replace it.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Got any pics of your setup?

With the control ***** being under the dash it sounds like an aftermarket type setup.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:49 PM
gone
New User

Last edited by gone; 06-06-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Photos did not go threw.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:06 PM
gone
New User
I have been unable to post any photos on this site. Under the hood everything is on the drivers side. Even the two holes for the AC hoses just to the left facting the truck of the bower brake unit. The other side has the heater hoses and heater motor. The Air compresser is a York unit. Under the dash the AC fits where the front cover of the heater was and it looks like it was made for the heater. It contains the AC fan motor. So it really fills the area under the Dash up. The two ***** are on a plate that says Air condition one **** is for fan speed the other is for how cold you want it. It uses the factor vents. I do know the AC unit was installed in this 1977 truck in 1978 in Stafford, Arizona. I will keep working on posting photos.
The pictures are in a album labeled Gone's Truck

Last edited by gone; 06-06-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 AM
gone
New User
Got any pics of your setup?

With the control ***** being under the dash it sounds like an aftermarket type setup.
I now have pictures posted in the album gone. It sure is a clean installation. except for the control ***** being under the dash it looks almost stock.

Quick Reply: Dealer installed AC