Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Extra keys for T/X

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:56 AM
sorensenj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra keys for T/X

I just bought my wife a 2008 T/X and would like to get a couple extra keys made up in case she loses one or two, etc. The two keys we got with the car are the type with the remote and key are one unit. I would like to make a couple keys (Pats?) without the remote. Is there a special key for 2008 or which key blank should I be looking for? I've programmed other pats keys for our Stang and Ranger and was told the process is the same for the T/X. Thanks for any help or advice.
Jeff Sorensen

Old 02-05-2009, 09:14 AM
nibyak
Freshman User
I know that people have used the integrated keys from the Fusion for the Freestyle and Taurus so I assume that you can go the other direction. I got my extra keys for my 06 Freestyle and my 08 Focus from carkeysandlocks.com. They were about $17.00 each. The 06 Freestyle and 08 Focus were identical blanks. I got them cut at home depot for free. They just stick the blanks in the machine (just like they were sticking them in a lock) and 30 seconds later you have a cut key. Then the programming (which you already have experience with) was the same for both cars. Their website doesn’t list the 08 Taurus but list the Freestyle from 05 – 08.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 PM
sorensenj
Senior User
Thanks for the help nibyak. I was afraid I'd have to spend a bunch of money on a remote/key when a regular key will do the trick. Good deal!
Actually, it appears one of the forum sponsors ( listed at left) has exactly what I need at a decent price.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
scj
New User
Around 2005 Ford changed the PATS keys to integeral remotes. I got a couple of spares from the Ford dealer, called in the number off the key tag. Just tell him you want the non-remote ones. The cost around $20. They still have to be a PATS key, and the earlier ones used from 1999 until the change will not work. A regular key, if you are meaning an old style non-PATS key, will not work either.

All Fords, for a given year with few exceptions, use the same PATS key. The programming is the same, should be in your owners manual.

If you have someplace cut them on an old key cutter have them feed them slow and gentle. It takes some doing but to much vibration is not good for the microchip in the key. Thats why Wal-Mart won't cut a key just for the door out here.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can buy blanks with the remote on ebay for $15.00 or so. Maybe less. Programming is very simple and the instructions come with the key. This is one of the first things I did when we bought and MKX for my wife. I took the blank to a local locksmith and had the cut the key. Works great.