Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Transmission leak on '08 Taurus X

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission leak on '08 Taurus X

Well, I was underneath to change the oil when I saw the tell tale red fluid on the transmission. I check the fluids routinely and they all check out OK. It'll be paying a visit to the dealer soon to get that resolved. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Primetime1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this on another post as well, but here goes. It is a huge problem with AWD Edges, and according to my dealer as well as AWD Taurus X. You have an axle seal leak. I know - I have an 08 with this problem. Go to Fordedgeforum.com and look there. A lot of people have the problem and it is re-occuring - I myself will be bringing the Edge in for the 3rd time on Wed. I only bought it at the end of December. Sometimes replacing the PTU will help, but that didn't on mine. Check out that site and hope your dealer will be able to fix it. My dealer has also seen the exact problem with AWD Taurus - same powertrain. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd bet money on the axle seal leaking at the PTU.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:59 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
That is exactly what it is. After having it home for a week, it is leaking worse than before they "fixed" it the first time. I know that it is well known since there is a TSB out for it. My dealer said that they have only seen it a couple of times. Very many more trips and I will be having a very tough conversation with them about it.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Primetime1
Senior User
Me too. I just checked lemon law in MT and it has to fail 4 times before 18k miles or 2 years old. I'd bet that will happen long before that. I really don't want to give the car back, but I also want to cover my butt if they can't fix it. One thing that bothers me most is, having worked on cars in the past - the more you take something apart and put it back together, the better the chances for stripped bolts/things not fitting or working right long term. I don't want to be stuck with a problem child, but my wife doesn't like any other vehicles out there - it's a great car for us minus the PTU problems. I also don't really want to burn the bridge with the dealership as it is the only Ford dealership within 30 miles and being a Ford guy(not to mention stockholder), I'd like to stick with this brand.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:03 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
We're on the same page. My wife loves this car and I would prefer they find a permanent fix for it. We'll see.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
The Lemon Law is the same in NY and at the rate we're going I will be getting my money back. They put the second seal in and kept the car overnight. They checked it again before they called me to come get it to tell me that they ordered a new PTU because the second seal was leaking. The service manager said that they've done 8-10 seals with no issues and that my car was only the second that they've put a new PTU in.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
fordfaninIL.
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys! Sorry to hear of your problems. My wife and I bought an 08 Taurus in Sept. and we love it. We had to have the serpentine belt replaced, but other than that no problems. I would suggest that when they install the new seal that they use a sealer on the outside diameter of the seal, where the seal mates to the tranny. At work we use 3M super weather stripe adhesive. We have seen this happen many times, in fact I had to replace one on a Chrysler New Yorker yesterday for this very reason.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:23 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fordfaninIL.
use a sealer on the outside diameter of the seal, where the seal mates to the tranny.
Good thought, however, it is leaking where the seal mates with the axle shaft and not the tranny.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Primetime1
Senior User
Yeah, I've thought about using permatex on it, but I don't want to use a "redneck" fix on a car that is barely over 6 months old - not to mention I'm not sure if it would work, and Ford would probably try to void the warranty for "tampering" with it. You pay for the warranty in the cost of the vehicle, so it should be Ford's responsibility to find a permanent solution to the problem. The Edge is good so far with the new seal replacement - the part number had a B on it instead of an A, so maybe it is another new design(I guess they've redesigned the seal 4 times already). I'm hoping it will work, and all is dry so far, but it has only been 1 day. Juneau - please keep us posted on if the PTU fixes your problems or if they figure something else out- it didn't fix mine, but here's to hoping yours will be fixed.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:14 PM
scj
New User
I dropped by to see if anyone else was having smoke coming out from under the hood.

Looks like it.

Fords had more than a little problem, and it's more than one seal. here's a copy of the TSB from AllData.

Could help with fighting to get the dealers to fix it.

Brown fluid is one seal, red another, and the leak is on the same shaft. Make sure the dealership is replacing the right seal, and using the right tools. Trying it the old school way with prybars and punches will cause some expensive damage.

TSB 08-12-3

06/23/08

SERVICE TIP - POWER TAKE-OFF UNIT (PTU) -
RIGHT HAND INTERMEDIATE SHAFT SEAL LEAKS

FORD:
2008 Taurus X, Taurus
2007-2008 Edge

LINCOLN:
2007-2008 MKX

MERCURY:
2008 Sable

ISSUE
Some 2007-2008 Edge, MKX, 2008 Taurus, Taurus-X, and Sable vehicles may experience a fluid leak at the power take-off unit (PTU) right hand (RH) intermediate shaft seal. The online Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-07B has been updated with new tools and service procedures to assist with resolving leaks in this area. In addition, two (2) new seal kits were developed and depending on the location of the leak must be used to prevent repeat repairs.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

This service information is intended to improve diagnosis and repair of PTU leaks. It is still necessary to use the updated version of the online WSM, Section 308-07B to perform the actual repair.

FLUID COLOR AND DIAGNOSIS:

Automatic Transmission Fluid

Red automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is not used in the PTU itself. The RH intermediate shaft passes from the transaxle through the input hub of the PTU, where the intermediate shaft seal is located. A red ATF leak indicates fluid from the transaxle is leaking past this intermediate shafi seal contained in the PTU. (Figure 1)

Use seal kit, which contains the intermediate shafi seal, alignment washer, and deflector. All three parts need to be installed individually.

Brown/Black Fluid Indicates a True PTU Seal Leak (Figure 2)

^ Use seal kit, which contains the PTU cover seal, intermediate shaft seal, alignment washer, and deflector. All four parts need to be installed individually.

Service Kit Contents/Function:

^ Cover Seal - Retains brown/black gear lube used in the PTU.

^ Intermediate Shaft Seal - Retains red ATF used in the transaxle.

^ Alignment Washer - Supports and centers the intermediate shaft in the seal.

^ Deflector - Keeps dust and dirt away from the intermediate shafi and PTU input shaft seals. Protects the intermediate shafi seal from being damaged by the shaft splines during installation.

Repair Tips - Removal

NOTE REFER TO THE ONLINE VERSION OF THE WSM. MANY REVISIONS HAVE BEEN MADE TO THE SERVICE PROCEDURE, AND NEW AND IMPROVED SERVICE TOOLS ARE SPECIFIED.

^ Deflector - Use only essential service tool (ESST) 308-125 remover tool specified in the WSM and a 5 lb or larger slide hammer. Additionally, using the handle from ESST 205-241 as an extension will greatly improve the functionality of the slide hammer. Carefully inspect for and remove any pieces of the deflector that may have broken off.

NOTE USE OF A PRY BAR OR CHISEL WILL RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE INPUT SHAFT PTU HUB AND/OR PTU HOUSING

^ Intermediate Shaft Seal - Use only ESST 308-125 remover tool specified in the workshop manual.

^ Cover Seal - This seal should only be removed/replaced if there is a brown/black fluid leak. A slide hammer with a metal screw attachment inserted into the metal groove will easily remove the seal. Be careful not to penetrate the metal portion of the seal or the bearing behind it could be damaged. (Figure 3)

NOTE USE OF A PRY BAR OR CHISEL WILL RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE INPUT SHAFT PTU HUB AND/OR PTU HOUSING.

Repair Tips - Installation

^ Cover Seal - The cover seal can be installed more effectively through the wheel well area using the new ESST 205-907 32" (81.3 cm) long driver handle along with ESST 308-431 and 308-221.

NOTE IT IS NO LONGER NECESSARY TO USE THE SHORTER ESST TOOL 308-430 TO INSTALL THE COVER SEAL.

^ Intermediate Shaft Seal - Use only ESST 205-883 and 205-907 32" (81.3 cm) long driver handle installation tools specified in the WSM.

^ Alignment Washer - Use only ESST 205-883 and 205-907 32" (81.3 cm) long driver handle tools to install the alignment washer with the paint mark on the beveled side facing the tool. The alignment washer needs to be installed only by hand pushing it in until it bottoms against the intermediate seal.

NOTE USING FORCE TO INSTALL WILL DAMAGE THE INTERMEDIATE SEAL AND ALIGNMENT WASHER CREATING A LEAK.

^ Deflector - Use only ESST 205-882 and 205-907 32" (81.3 cm) long driver handle. This allows for greater access by working from inside the wheel well area instead of from beneath the vehicle

NOTE CAREFULLY APPLY HEAT TO THE DEFLECTOR USING A SUITABLE HEAT GUN WHEN PERFORMING STEPS 3 AND 4.

1. Apply a light coat of Motorcraft® Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound or equivalent to the outboard face of the deflector, then place the deflector on the 205-882 installer, the compound will hold the deflector and installer together.

2. Using a heat gun, heat the deflector by concentrating the heat across the back of the installer while rotating, not directly on the deflector itself.

3. Monitor the temperature of the deflector with an infrared thermometer (Do not allow the temperature of the deflector to exceed 212 °F (100 °C). Once the temperature reaches between 150-212 °F (66-100 °C) quickly install it into the PTU assembly.

When using the 205-882 installer the likelihood of breaking the deflector is minimal during the installation. The deflector is made of reinforced nylon and normally will not be damaged even when subjected to very energetic hammer blows. This is why it's recommended that a 5 lb or larger hammer be used to seat the deflector properly. A properly installed deflector will be recessed 1/8" - 3/16" (3-5 mm) into the PTU pocket.

NOTE IF IT IS EVEN/FLUSH WITH THE HOUSING THEN IT IS NOT FULLY SEATED. (FIGURE 4)

Intermediate shaft Installation:

Once the deflector is fully seated install the intermediate shaft.

NOTE A SLIGHT EFFORT MAY BE REQUIRED TO SEAT THE SHAFT FULLY AS IT PASSES THROUGH THE ALIGNMENT WASHER.

^ Install the two (2) intermediate shaft bearing mount bolts and tighten to the specification listed in the WSM, Section 308-07B.

Some residual ATF will collect between the intermediate shaft seal and the deflector during the repair. This is normal and should not be misinterpreted as a leak after the repair. Use a can of Motorcraft(R) Metal Brake Parts Cleaner or equivalent to thoroughly remove any of this ATF residue accumulated between the seal and deflector. Also make sure there is no ATF residue on the exhaust system located below the PTU intermediate shafi.

NOTE THE UPDATED SERVICE PROCEDURE OUTLINE IN THE ONLINE WSM, SECTION 308-07B MUST BE FOLLOWED COMPLETELY AND FOLLOWING THE INFORMATION HIGHLIGHTED HERE WILL ENSURE FIX-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. FAILING TO FOLLOW THIS PROCESS WILL RESULT IN REPEAT PTU INTERMEDIATE SEAL LEAK.

Parts Block

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

081203A 2007-2008 Edge, MKX, 1.6 Hrs.
2008 Taurus, Sable,
Taurus X AWD: Replace
The PTU Intermediate
Shaft Seal, Includes Time
To Replace The
Passenger Side PTU
Intermediate Shaft Seal
And Deflector In Vehicle
(Do Not Use With 7275B,
7275C, 7003B, 4462A,
3329A)

081203B Operation B: 2007-2008 1.9 Hrs.
Edge, MKX, AWD:
Replace The PTU Cover
Seal, Passenger Side PTU
Intermediate Shaft Seal
And, Deflector In Vehicle
(Do Not Use With 7275B,
7275C, 7003B, 4462A,
3329A)

081203B Operation B: 2008 1.8 Hrs
Taurus, Sable, Taurus X
AWD: Replace The PTU
Cover Seal, Passenger
Side PTU Intermediate
Shaft Seal And, Deflector
In Vehicle (Do Not Use
With 7275B, 7275C,
7003B, 4462A, 3329A)

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
7275 D8

Disclaimer

Old 03-20-2009, 12:22 PM
scj
New User
Didn't get the pictures in the post above. If you want them post an e-mail and I'll send them to you.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Primetime1
Senior User
Yes, please email me - my dealer states they have all of the information, but it couldn't help to have it. Thanks!

primetime@bresnan.net

Old 03-20-2009, 03:15 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Wow, thanks for the info. Maybe I should consider a subscription to AllData. Please send me the pictures, too. Thanks! juneau@nassaufire.org

Old 03-20-2009, 03:59 PM
scj
New User
AllData is a great resource, but expensive. Most repair shops have a subscription, all you need is a friend that works at one that does.

Pictures should be on the way, let me know if you don't get them.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:54 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Thanks scj for the pictures. It took forever for me to figure out how to post these, but here are the pictures.

Quick Reply: Transmission leak on '08 Taurus X