1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got stuck today

Old 02-21-2009, 05:51 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Got stuck today

I was helping my brother in law today, cutting and splitting firewood at his farm in Lexington. We drove my truck out around his farm collecting wood, I had a bed full and on the way back in I started up a hill and just could not get up. I locked the front hubs, tried 4 wheel low, tried 4 wheel high, backing down, going fast, everything I could think of. I just kept spinning.

I could get both front wheels spinning, the rear end seemed to have a lot of difficulty engaging both wheels. I was just spinning the passenger side rear wheel most of the time. Are'nt both of them supposed to lock in?

Anyway, to make matters worse, my brother in law's dad had to come out and hook a chain to me and pull me up the hill with his Z71 1500 silverado. I was kind of thinking about slamming it in reverse and jerking him down the hill too. (Not really but I left the Silverado truck to get in my F250 and I really like the Ford so much better)

It was a fun day but a little humbling.....

Old 02-21-2009, 06:06 PM
ab257z
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking differential

Unless you have a limited slip differential, your rears will spin one tire. With my 350 3.73s a limited slip wasn't available.

But in any case, Ford's limited slip is pretty poor - the clutch packs wear out fairly quickly and need to be replaced. A true locking differential is what you need if you don't want 3 wheel drive.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:12 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,000 Posts
i'd check the spec sheet when you bought the truck. If it did come with LS, then I know there is a procedure to add more friction lube to the differental. Someone will chime in soon with that fix.

This should give you a good idea of what may need to happen: Welcome to guzzle's Rear Differential Maintenance Web Page

Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Check your door post label for the axle code. Below is the link to the tech folder and it contains the axle codes and what they mean. If you have the limited slip and you're still under warranty (which I would assume on an '08), take it to the dealership and have them service it or replace it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...lder_____.html

Old 02-22-2009, 07:11 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Try backing up a hill that you are having trouble with. I learned that trick in the army. The wheels get a better bite. At least that way you won't be looking at a Chevy.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,000 Posts
kinda reminds me of the old model A's with the gravity flow fuel tanks. My Dad said they had to be driven up some steep hills backwards so they would stay running.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:21 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Thanks for all the info everybody. Shorebird, it was kind of funny. I was in a little valley, the bottom was flat with a pond on the left. I tried backing out to a place that I could turn around which required me to back up the hill I had just come down. I could'nt make that one either. I was stuck darn it.

anybody have any suggesstions on a winch bumper? I have wanted one anyway.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:26 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of tires you have on the truck ? If you have the stock conti's,,and it's a bit slick out,,,,that would do it !

I have a set of Hankook's MT tires (in Gallery),,man what a difference over the Conti's,,plus a good set of traction tires makes that LS work better,,,because they actually get traction,,,not just fill with mud and become a slick.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:09 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
kinda reminds me of the old model A's with the gravity flow fuel tanks. My Dad said they had to be driven up some steep hills backwards so they would stay running.
That was more of a problem with the Model T, actually.

As for getting stuck, what tires do you have? I'd worry about those before spending money on locking differentials and all. Crappy tires will get you stuck, even with a locking diff.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:28 PM
spence13e
More Turbo
yeah, the dodge kid on campus tries laughing at my ford cos i don't get traction for junk. it's my tires, and i know it. nothing wrong with the ford, it's not my fault you spent so much money on your tires and mine are wore out!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:53 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Well i hate to tell you guys but the Ford Limited slip in the rear sucks. I'm on my second Ford truck now and its as bad or worse than my first. They are not very aggressive and the clutch packs wear out really fast. However, i can solve your problem if you have the money. First you may be able to add more friction modifier as someone mentioned and this will help the rear short term. The real fix which i'm doing now is a Truetrac in the rear and a Eaton Elocker "full locker" in the front. Use your upfitter to activate the front locker which is really cool. With this system i can assure you that you will be pulling the Chevy out next go around. The front locker is great cause when its unlocked you don't even know its there cause its exactly like the open factory differential. However, when you flip the upfitter switch it turns your truck into a tank. The rear Truetrac is a limited slip but is much stronger and more positive lockup than the Ford L/S. Just make sure not to use synthetic oil in the rear pumpkin as the Truetrac will chatter a bit.

By the way, the Chevy had an advantage on you cause its got a "G81" factory locker in the rear. These things pull much better than Fords limited slip system. The nice things about our trucks is that they have a solid axle in the front allowing us to use a locker. The chevy has a limited slip so he's basically stuck with what he has. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Factory Conti's are junk in wet grass even if its flat. I would invest in a good A/T tire. I have the factory 20" goodyears which still arent aggressive but yet WAY better than the Conti's. On a hunting trip last year I had to cross a muddy creek bed and it had been raining all day. Even though it looked nasty it was never even close to being an issue.
I think a Z71 comes with BFG's or something comparible that are at least mildly aggressive compared to your Conti's. For that matter I think the wife's Taurus X has more aggressive tires than the Conti's.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:20 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by sawtooth
Well i hate to tell you guys but the Ford Limited slip in the rear sucks. I'm on my second Ford truck now and its as bad or worse than my first. They are not very aggressive and the clutch packs wear out really fast. However, i can solve your problem if you have the money. First you may be able to add more friction modifier as someone mentioned and this will help the rear short term. The real fix which i'm doing now is a Truetrac in the rear and a Eaton Elocker "full locker" in the front. Use your upfitter to activate the front locker which is really cool. With this system i can assure you that you will be pulling the Chevy out next go around. The front locker is great cause when its unlocked you don't even know its there cause its exactly like the open factory differential. However, when you flip the upfitter switch it turns your truck into a tank. The rear Truetrac is a limited slip but is much stronger and more positive lockup than the Ford L/S. Just make sure not to use synthetic oil in the rear pumpkin as the Truetrac will chatter a bit.

By the way, the Chevy had an advantage on you cause its got a "G81" factory locker in the rear. These things pull much better than Fords limited slip system. The nice things about our trucks is that they have a solid axle in the front allowing us to use a locker. The chevy has a limited slip so he's basically stuck with what he has. Good luck!

Oops made a couple typo's. First you need less of the friction modifier instead of more and the GM differential is a G80 unit not a G81. Brain not working well yesterday.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Well i have on order the Eaton Elocker for the front and the new Truetrac for the rear. Should have them installed in a couple weeks so will let everyone know how they work.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
I have been running the GoodYear Wrangler Pro Grade 18" with the Silent Armor badging. They are more aggressive than the original Conti's (duh) and I feel that they are a bit more aggressive than the stock GY Wrangler's on the 20" wheels. Could be wrong about that though.

I really need a decent road tire 'cause that's what I do. I need a decent dirt tire a couple times/month when I decide to goof around with the RV or the boat or get crazy and yank on tree stumps.

I was stuck on a muddy hill that I would estimate to be about the same as driving up the hill made for interstate over passes, like if you tried to get on a road that has a bridge over the interstate but there is no on/off ramp. It was raining and changing to snow. My truck already weighs over 7K, add as much firewood as you can in the bed without it spilling over. It was a hell of a lot of fun. The Z71 was up top on the flat and we probably had 75 ft. of chain to get down to me.

The guy at my Ford dealer told me to do a power brake next time to get the rear end to lock up. Who knows?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got stuck today