2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under tailgate lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:51 PM
thewheelman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under tailgate lights

I'm rather fond of the led strip-lights that fit under the tail gate and signal turns, brakes, tail lights. Where are these available and are there a variety of them or they pretty much the same? Best prices? They hook up to the 4 way trailer plug, right?

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
You can get them at almost any parts store. They run about 50 bucks well thats what they were when I got mine last year. You can get the nice one called the Line Of Fire for I think its like 60 and it has the reverse light on it too. I dont know the website for that but you can google it. Yes you can plug it into the 4 pin trailer hook up or you can hard wire into the back of the plug. I hard wired mine in today cause I use to just plug it in but one of the prongs corroded. They are nice and make a truck look sweet.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:51 PM
btacarlton
Senior User
Old 02-20-2009, 05:15 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought one, and then never installed it. It has been in the garage for about a year now. I still am debating installing it. I do think they look good though.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
I have the RECON Fire & Ice model. It has white LEDs for reverse as well as the red ones for everything else. It was about $100 CDN. Simple install, with the exception that I had to notch it out for the tailgate assist spring thingy on the right side of the tailgate.

I get lots of comments about the extra visibility and that it looks really cool.

Cheers,

GD

Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Person25
Junior User
Originally Posted by thewheelman
I'm rather fond of the led strip-lights that fit under the tail gate and signal turns, brakes, tail lights. Where are these available and are there a variety of them or they pretty much the same? Best prices? They hook up to the 4 way trailer plug, right?

Thanks!

I love the way those light strips look when done right..., accept for one thing....about 4 outa 5 that i see on trucks around here are falling off, or crooked and you can only see half of the strip or its a like really obviously wavy....if you do it do it right so you dont look like an ***. haha.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:10 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 02-20-2009, 11:07 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a plasmaglow brand from Truck Accessories | Pickup Truck Accessories & Truck Performance Parts | Stylin' Trucks it is the "fire and ice" version, and looks great. where i live we get A LOT of rain and mine has no moisture inside of it. ive had it for just over a year, and no porblems. when you wire it in though, you will probably need to install a resistor into the parking lamp wire for the light bar. otherwise, you wont be able to notice any difference between the normal/bright when it flashes. i called plasmaglow and they sent me the parts for free. if i remember correct, i paid about 80 for the light bar.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Originally Posted by Person25
I love the way those light strips look when done right..., accept for one thing....about 4 outa 5 that i see on trucks around here are falling off, or crooked and you can only see half of the strip or its a like really obviously wavy....if you do it do it right so you dont look like an ***. haha.
Thats how mine was. The sticky pads it came with were garbage. Where I work we build stuff for autoshows and we use this tape called VHB tape by 3M. We use it to stick signs and stuff together. You put a little primer on where you wana stick it and a little on before you put the tape on let it dry and no joke this stuff will not come off. It will break before it comes off. You can put it on your shoes and hang upside down from a ceiling and your shoe laces will break before this stuff will. So thats what I replaced it with.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:04 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Got mine here Fire and Ice; Fire & Ice LED Light Bars and other LED Light Bars available at StylinTrucks.com
I'm on their E-mail list and got the light bar for 1/2 price on a special sale.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:52 AM
dartguy699
Senior User
i installed one on mine(do not remember brand) and i agree about comments about the tape-it is garbage. i ended up using small sheet metal screws and it looks great. i have had it for about 3 years now.
jim