1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1988 Marquis steering box

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:56 AM
hivolt5.0
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1988 Marquis steering box

A few weeks ago I started a "steering column" thread where I mentioned a previous owner of the truck I have installed a power steering box from an '88 Grand Marquis in the truck and I was trying to figure out the best way to utilize the stock steering column with the new box. As one of you FTErs mentioned, there is a reason not many people have tried this steering box and I wish I could undo what was done to the truck, but I digress.

Anyway, I think I've figured out a way to make it all work, follow along with the pictures and tell me what you think.

This is the stock floor plate with the column in the stock position.
[IMG][/IMG]

This picture shows the column going through the floor without the cover plate and connected to the steering box via one u-joint.
[IMG][/IMG]

This is the new floor plate I made. For all of you fabricators out there, sorry I'm not the best in the world but I'm trying to learn. Since I won't have a clutch the plate is one piece. The solid circle is where the column needs to be positioned to meet with the steering box and the dashed circle is the stock location of the column.
[IMG][/IMG]

The next couple of pictures are of the steering column going through the hole cut in the new floor cover plate. As you can see, the hole I cut is just a wee bit off. The plan is to use a piece of exhaust tubing (seen around the column) as the lower column support. It will eventually be welded to the floor plate.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This last picture shows how the column connects to the steering box. I obviously have some more fitment issues to address, but this gives you an idea of how I'm proceeding.
[IMG][/IMG]

So what do you all think? Will this work ok? Can you think of something I'm missing or should consider before I weld it all up?

thanks,
David

Old 02-20-2009, 07:09 AM
bajhafords
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good to me. One thing you might check on your box and I'm sure its been mentioned but make sure when you turn the shaft(wheel) to the left its going to actually turn the truck to the left, it seems like I tried to use a late 80s marquis/crown vic box and it would of been backwards, not sure its been at least 5 years ago. Of course it depends on how the rest of its oriented, but it would suck to do all that work and have to scrap it for something else.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
It looks good to me, can you get ssome pics of the steering box and how its attached to the frame & steering arm.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:09 PM
hivolt5.0
Senior User
Hey bajhafords, the steering box does turn the wheels in the proper direction. Who ever mounted the box rigged up a steering wheel welded to a piece of tubing which connected to the steering box, so I at least know that works. :-)

Old 02-20-2009, 12:21 PM
hivolt5.0
Senior User
Jaye, here are some pictures of how the steering box is mounted and its relation with the steering column coming out in the factory position.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-20-2009, 01:56 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
Dave that looks great whoever did it did a good job don't look butchered; that will probably work on the 53-56 also.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:13 PM
hivolt5.0
Senior User
I agree, the welding and installation is very good, but it just doesn't fit as well as the Toyota box. I also think the guy drilled another hole in the side of the frame for the steering part (not sure what the correct name is) to go through and connect to the pitman arm.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:29 AM
fordtrucksforever
Senior User
Originally Posted by bajhafords
looks good to me. One thing you might check on your box and I'm sure its been mentioned but make sure when you turn the shaft(wheel) to the left its going to actually turn the truck to the left, it seems like I tried to use a late 80s marquis/crown vic box and it would of been backwards, not sure its been at least 5 years ago. Of course it depends on how the rest of its oriented, but it would suck to do all that work and have to scrap it for something else.
The same style box is used on most Ford cars and trucks since 1980. Internals are interchangable with others that work in opposite rotation. Guts from these boxes are used on 78-79 Bronco and some pre-1980 F100 4X4's boxes to convert early Broncos to power steering. I never bothered looking at existing applications to confirm the same box is offered in both configurations. I have read at one time but need to confirm that the GM Saginaw guts are same as whats in Ford boxes. I have an oddball International Scout box which is almost identical to early(66-77) Bronco boxes, with exception to rotation. But the guts are swapped from the correct rotation GM Saginaw box and its a perfect swap out.