Valve stem seals

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Valve stem seals

WTF ? Edelbrock 9759 - - summitracing.com

I can get an entire rebuild gasket set for similar last I checked?
Anyone gt a link to a reasonably priced set of these things.. Jesus I dont want to refinance the place to get the 64's valves to smoke less LOL!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:28 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Bobby, For the same price you can get the Viton seals from Barry...and there the best at that level...JMO

~Russ

Old 02-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's about the going price for positive seals like that. The umbrellas you can get for couple bucks.

You have to machine heads for positive seals, so if you're still stock heads, you have to use umbrellas.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:17 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Originally Posted by Freightrain
That's about the going price for positive seals like that. The umbrellas you can get for couple bucks.

You have to machine heads for positive seals, so if you're still stock heads, you have to use umbrellas.
Aww Larry ! I thought you just machined the guide boss' not the head?

~RJ

Old 02-20-2009, 11:06 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by RapidRuss
Aww Larry ! I thought you just machined the guide boss' not the head?

~RJ
well, isn't the guide part of the head?

Actually, I don't think you can just "machine" a stock head to take those seals (not alot left of the boss if you do), you need to put real valve guides into it, and "machine" off the piece of the stock head sticking above the valve spring seat.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Ok Russ..........go ahead and split hairs........LOL!!! It's part of the head, right?

I have a tool I bought 20 yrs ago that fits inside the guide hole and has two cutting shoulders on it. It cut my 351 cleveland heads for positive seals. I think the machine shop has the same basic tool except made for their valve cutting machine. Cut down til it shoulders on head casting, in which then it gives you the correct shoulder (height/diameter)for the seal to sit on. I think you can do stock cast heads with no problem, as the actual height when done is pretty short. The original cast heads, the outside of the guide boss is pretty rough and not concentric. If I recall, we're only talking maybe 5/8" in height? Just enough for seal to sit on, as you don't want it too tall or it will run into the retainer on a higher lift cam.

It looks something like this tool, not exactly. This one just cuts spring pockets.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Old 02-20-2009, 12:58 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
You know Larry, I was thinking about something related to my own heads.

I had bronze-silicone guides done, AND double valve springs. That means you have very little inside-diameter inside the inner spring to fit a seal. Which means, the entire "boss" needs to be taken off, and the seal is actually locking onto the guide itself.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

It's been so long since I dabbled in this stuff, just always been done lately with the new stuff already set up for it(and double springs). I know the cutter I have cuts the "stem/guide" very small, and if you had guides put in it, yes it will be only the guide left after cutting. If you have old stock cast heads then it will be cutting the original cast guide only. Like I mentioned the last time I did it was the a set of stock 351C 2bbl heads. Don't recall doing any guide work? This was 20 yrs ago.

Seems Chevy just used a small O ring to help with oil control on some early heads. No room for anything under those little springs.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
It's a yellow beater with a 35 year old mule in it. That smokes a little on startup. Aint machining nuttin to use the latest greatest anything. I want seals that will work as well as the ones it came with for a price that makes sense for the application. But thanks for the additional info as it is just what the thread is about.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:49 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
35-year-old engine? Are you sure the umbrella seals aren't all in the pan

Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Barry_R
Senior User
You can get the viton seals with a .562 ID that will usually just push onto an uncut guide.
So there....

Old 02-20-2009, 06:40 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Show off Barry !

~Russ

Old 02-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Barry_R
You can get the viton seals with a .562 ID that will usually just push onto an uncut guide.
So there....
I was wondering about that while looking at your site last night.

My free engine came with umbrella seals, they were all at the top of the stems. The guy who gave me the engine said it smoked a little on one bank.

What is screwey to me is that the intakes on the pasenger bank are clean, the driver's side valves have a gooey carbon build up on the back. It had a Performer intake, gaskets looked good. Maybe the rebuilder hogged the guides a bit much on that head?

Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Well now that I think about it, John had already gone through the heads for the 390 and they have seals along with everything else (new)so the ones in the kit are just laying there LOL Makes me wonder what are on the heads for the 390 now ? Hmmmm might have to have a look see

Old 02-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Barry_R
Senior User
The viton stuff - wherever you buy it from - will usually clear most multiple spring combinations. I am going to imagine that the .562 parts are larger though - normally you'll see the .530 or .500 guide parts used on multiple spring combinations. I will try to remember to measure some next time I am at the shop. Or you can look them up at U.S. Seal... it's a division of Freudenberg/NOK and the manufacturer of most valve seals.

Quick Reply: Valve stem seals