Need help!! Please help v-10 guys!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:56 PM
iko
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help!! Please help v-10 guys!!

what a amazing site, just found it,
I have a 99 V-10 with a 06 front end, Love the truck.

problem is.... last summer as I was driving It just shut off, its like somone turend my key off,

as I driving I throw it in N and restart no problem and keep going,

some time it would do it 4 times in 2 miles, other time wont do it for 3 days,

of coarse took it in to get fix and it dident do it at all, The guys disconected my remote start,

Still doing it, The as it got cold out ( winter ) It did not do it for 3 months
And then a week ago it did it again, ( was warmer)

so im thinking it only happiens when its warm and wet,

any Ideas?????

thanks

Amazing site!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:58 PM
jb1390
Senior User
ignition switch maybe? Any codes when it shuts down?

Old 02-18-2009, 03:31 PM
iko
New User
truck

Originally Posted by jb1390
ignition switch maybe? Any codes when it shuts down?

no codes at all, I was thinking the swith too..But I dont think so as it runs well in cold and snow, its just when it get 65-70 out and dry,

This is why its drivingme nuts!

Old 02-18-2009, 03:39 PM
jb1390
Senior User
Sounds like you are losing spark one way or another, if you were losing fuel the engine would sputter out. Could be electrical, when something overheats it starts to malfunction. It is weird that it starts right back up though if it is something like that. A loose electrical connection somewhere in the ignition circuit could do it, but it wouldn't seem to make sense that there would be a pattern involving temperature.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ur truck have a aftermarket alarm with a starter interupt ???

i had the same issue in my wifeys 96 Taurus...turned out the aftermarket alarm was somehow shuting the car off while driving..

pulled the alarm.. problem NEVER came back...

hope that helps..

Old 02-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jb1390
Sounds like you are losing spark one way or another, if you were losing fuel the engine would sputter out. Could be electrical, when something overheats it starts to malfunction. It is weird that it starts right back up though if it is something like that. A loose electrical connection somewhere in the ignition circuit could do it, but it wouldn't seem to make sense that there would be a pattern involving temperature.
Yeah temps don't make sense to me either but it sounds like ground wires might be loose. Check all your grounds and if they seem fine check all the cables for splits etc. See if you find anything. At least it's something easy and cheap to check.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 AM
iko
New User
truck

Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life
ur truck have a aftermarket alarm with a starter interupt ???

i had the same issue in my wifeys 96 Taurus...turned out the aftermarket alarm was somehow shuting the car off while driving..

pulled the alarm.. problem NEVER came back...

hope that helps..
Ya but it was unhooked before the winter and it still does it once in a wile,
Man this site is good!!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
when u say unhooked, did they unhook every connection and leave the wiring exactly back to stock ???

my guess is they prolly just unhooked the power wire for the alarm...not sure if thats enuf removal..

like i said in my situation we completly removed the alarm.. as i didnt wanna go throu the hassle of figuring out why it wanted to randomly shut the vehicle off...

Old 02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
iko
New User
truck

Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life
when u say unhooked, did they unhook every connection and leave the wiring exactly back to stock ???

my guess is they prolly just unhooked the power wire for the alarm...not sure if thats enuf removal..

like i said in my situation we completly removed the alarm.. as i didnt wanna go throu the hassle of figuring out why it wanted to randomly shut the vehicle off...
dont no forsure? but I will look into it

Old 02-19-2009, 05:45 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Sounds like the crank position sensor.

Does it chug at all just before it shuts down? (losing fuel pressure).

Or, if it's just like it was shut off with the ignition key, that points to the CPS.

It could even be the ignition switch, but who knows.

Until it happens and won't start when cranking it over, and you actually FIND the problem, it's going to be a crap shoot

Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by iko
dont no forsure? but I will look into it
Definitely do. Not at all sure this is your problem, but worth looking into.

I've heard of this happening alarm installers thought to be really thorough and put an ignition interrupt relay in rather than (or in addition to ) just a starter interrupt relay.
As time went on, the relay points would get dirty or there half-arsed wiring starting going intermittent. Hit a bump, and the wiring or relay would interrupt the signal.

With an old fashioned analog ignition, no big deal. The engine would miss a beat and then go again. But with ECU controlled engines, some ECU's would see the momentary power interrupt and shut down all ignition.

If whoever installed the remote start did not solder or correctly crimp the connections (my experience is that at least 95% of "professional" installers do NOT have a clue how to make a reliable connection), then odds are at least one is going intermittent by now - and could be sending a confusing signal to the ECU.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 AM
iko
New User
truck

Originally Posted by Krewat
Sounds like the crank position sensor.

Does it chug at all just before it shuts down? (losing fuel pressure).

Or, if it's just like it was shut off with the ignition key, that points to the CPS.

It could even be the ignition switch, but who knows.

Until it happens and won't start when cranking it over, and you actually FIND the problem, it's going to be a crap shoot
whats CPS??

it just shuts off. like you turend me key, then throw it in N and restart and keep going,
im geting good at it know!

LOL

Old 02-20-2009, 10:03 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
CPS = Crank position sensor. If the sensor fails, the PCM doesn't know the engine is turning, won't fire the injectors, and won't fire the spark plugs. And, it won't throw a code.

Now while it would seem that if it was bad, it wouldn't let the truck restart, many times when the engine shuts down, it restarts right away.

This happens with the 7.3 diesel. Same exact failure mode. So bad, Ford recalled the CPS sensor for the 7.3. For the record, the V10 hasn't really had a known issue with the CPS, but that's what your problem sounds like. Of course, it could be other things, so don't just run out and spend $'s on a CPS right away unless you really REALLY can't find the problem.

(The V10 also has a cam position sensor, I think just so it knows exactly where every piston is. It only triggers once per cam rotation. The crank sensor will only tell it any one cylinder needs to fire. With the cam sensor, the PCM also knows WHICH cylinder is firing.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I would think that if there was an issue with the CKP sensor you should get a code P0320.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:30 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Shoot, you're in Canada...
I'd loan you a known good CPS to try (I have a spare), but the cross border shipping may add too much cost to make it worth trying.

Quick Reply: Need help!! Please help v-10 guys!!