HP/TQ prediction

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:20 AM
reed1951
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb HP/TQ prediction

Hey guys, I have a guy that can sell me a rebuilt 460 stock bottem end, RV cam, and ported and polished non smog heads. Told me the compression would be around 8.8 to 1. If I get this engine I would put the performer intake, edelbrock 750 electric choke carb, and 1 7/8 headers. Do you think this could put me at 300 hp and 450 tq?

Old 02-18-2009, 03:08 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think it should easily hit 300hp, probably a bit more depending on cam specs and how and what he did to the heads to port and polish them.

8.8:1 is probably a bit low for optimal power output, but should be a good compromise to live on low grade fuel without having to run hi-test all the time.

considering the stock mid 70's smog 460 still made around 230hp (depending on year and application of course) and that is with restrictive exhaust ports, restrictive exhaust manifolds, smog equipment and retarded timing chain and not great cam, hitting 300hp should be a breeze with those minor upgrades.

for best results maybe try a Weiand Stealth or even the Performer RPM intake. slightly better intakes then the Performer intake. the performer is still a decent intake, just not as good as the other two.

Port and polish heads when done right can make lots of power, but when done wrong can really hurt an engine so as long as he did a decent job, should be good.

Rgds
Mike

Old 02-18-2009, 03:13 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
only thing to make sure of is that his "smog" heads are not D2VE heads, those heads with almost 9:1 compression will yield real issues with detonation. If they are D3VE heads then your ok.

I hate descriptions like RV cam, what exactly does that mean? there is not a spec like that. Honestly based on that a stock cam can be called an RV cam. same thing with the old "3/4 race cam" what is that? get specs on the cam.

But yes 300/450 is a fairly easy target with that motor, remember that even stock teh 230hp number was NET hp not crank hp thus even at that those "smog" motors were probably close to 300 at the crank.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:14 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ And thats why Rob has the Yoda!