Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4R100 2WD to 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:49 PM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
4R100 2WD to 4WD

I bought a 4R100 2WD transmission the other day to use as a core to replace the high-mileage tranny in my 2001 F250 4X4 7.3L. This tranny came from a 2001 E350 Diesel ambulance, and I think it has been replaced because the build date is from 1999. I like the idea of starting with a good running transmission, rather than a failure.

My intended use is daily driving with a well-stocked (meaning heavy) service body and occasionally towing a trailer locally. The trailer will vary between 6,000 and 15,000 lbs. I live in a rural area near a small town and do not do much freeway driving. The truck is now stock, and I might later add a 6637, Walker BTM, and a tuner, but not expect to use more than 60 Tow and 80 Econ settings.

I intend to upgrade to with the following: Transgo Tugger kit, billet multi-disc heavy duty torque converter, upgraded center support kit with snap ring and shims, Torrington thrust bearings, Upgraded clutch packs (more plates), 45-element sprag, Improved snap rings, and a pump boost valve kit. This should be similar to a Monster Box, without the hardened input shaft. My target is a reliable unit that can withstand a reasonable (+80 hp) amount of power. What do you guys think?

The seller threw in a E4OD from a 1997 F350 DRW that suffered the front pump drive shaft shearing off. It has the deep oil pan, short output shaft and aluminum tail housing the same as a 4X4. If these parts don't interchange with my 4R100 I will sell that one for a core and buy the proper pan, shaft and housing. Does anyone know if it is worth taking the E4OD apart to check?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by JockD; 02-17-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: some items did not show in post.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mark K. is the man to ask that. I'm sure that he will chime in.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
I know that the pan is the same, actually if it's the stock 4x4 pan it's the same pan as the 4R100, except some 4R100 pans have a drain plug. I think the output shaft and extension housing will work, too.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:37 AM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early 99-2000 transmissions are notoriously weak. I know.. I shanked one out.

I would look for a build date after sept. 2000

Old 02-18-2009, 11:08 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JockD
I bought a 4R100 2WD transmission the other day to use as a core to replace the high-mileage tranny in my 2001 F250 4X4 7.3L. This tranny came from a 2001 E350 Diesel ambulance, and I think it has been replaced because the build date is from 1999. I like the idea of starting with a good running transmission, rather than a failure.

My intended use is daily driving with a well-stocked (meaning heavy) service body and occasionally towing a trailer locally. The trailer will vary between 6,000 and 15,000 lbs. I live in a rural area near a small town and do not do much freeway driving. The truck is now stock, and I might later add a 6637, Walker BTM, and a tuner, but not expect to use more than 60 Tow and 80 Econ settings.

I intend to upgrade to with the following: Transgo Tugger kit, billet multi-disc heavy duty torque converter, upgraded center support kit with snap ring and shims, Torrington thrust bearings, Upgraded clutch packs (more plates), 45-element sprag, Improved snap rings, and a pump boost valve kit. This should be similar to a Monster Box, without the hardened input shaft. My target is a reliable unit that can withstand a reasonable (+80 hp) amount of power. What do you guys think?

The seller threw in a E4OD from a 1997 F350 DRW that suffered the front pump drive shaft shearing off. It has the deep oil pan, short output shaft and aluminum tail housing the same as a 4X4. If these parts don't interchange with my 4R100 I will sell that one for a core and buy the proper pan, shaft and housing. Does anyone know if it is worth taking the E4OD apart to check?

Thanks for the help.
I basicly did the same upgrades to my original '01 4R100, except it added the hardened input shaft and TC lock-up kit. It should hold up fine with these upgrades. The '01 4R100 should also have a steel tail housing vs the aluminum one on the '97 E4OD. JMHO, I would opt to install the steel one from the OEM trans. Other than that, you should be able make one good one out of the two. PM me, if you like.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not trying to hijack this tread but, is it worth making my 00 2wd 4R100 into a 4x4 when I do my 2wd into 4x4 swap on my dads truck. Also what is need beside the tail housing? I plan on rebuilding it at the same time as it has 398,000 on it.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:13 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dougbrown
Not trying to hijack this tread but, is it worth making my 00 2wd 4R100 into a 4x4 when I do my 2wd into 4x4 swap on my dads truck. Also what is need beside the tail housing? I plan on rebuilding it at the same time as it has 398,000 on it.
The output shafts would need to be swapped, also.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:32 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jkidd_39
Early 99-2000 transmissions are notoriously weak. I know.. I shanked one out.

I would look for a build date after sept. 2000
Actually I would stay away from the late 2000 & 2001 4R100's due the spag set up they used somewhere in that time period.

Originally Posted by mueckster
I basicly did the same upgrades to my original '01 4R100, except it added the hardened input shaft and TC lock-up kit. It should hold up fine with these upgrades. The '01 4R100 should also have a steel tail housing vs the aluminum one on the '97 E4OD. JMHO, I would opt to install the steel one from the OEM trans. Other than that, you should be able make one good one out of the two. PM me, if you like.
Roland I know you know better than most what modds will hold up to what abuse. But what was the center support modd that you used that had the lube problem with. Was it the dual center support bearing set up? What set up are you running now? I know you told me but I forgot. Oopps I am running the Sonnax set up & shaft with the single upgraded replaceable bearing & housing.

Now I know you are using the Transgo Tugger kit and have that dailed in to work perfect for you. But I myself do not like the Tugger pump modds. I think the Sonnax pump modds are better design and easier to do. And since I am talking pump modds I want to throw out there that you have to decide do you want a the PWM or the Non PWM coverter clutch control valve. Because you run the Non PWM and get nice tight lock up but I am running the Sonnax PWM which even on stock tunes give me a lock up almost like a NonPWM.
http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/36424-08K.pdf

Old 10-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mueckster
The output shafts would need to be swapped, also.
Ditto. Must be done when converting a 7.3L van to 4x4. Talk to a 4x4 converter in your area for who best to do it.

(I have also heard that the bell housings are different but cannot verify.)

Master Mark K. is also correct that you can (and in my opinion should) use your 4x4 pan with a drain plug on the 2WD trans. BUT you MUST also use the deep 4x4 filter with that pan (and not continue to use the shallower 2WD filter). (Mark and others helped me through this a year ago last July. Don't re-ignite the war on what Mercon variation to use...)

Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
Don't re-ignite the war on what Mercon variation to use...)
I find it slightly amusing that almost 7 1/2 years after Ford put out the TSB that Mercon was being superseded with Mercon V, some people will still argue not to use Merc V because of what their owners manual states, even when told about the TSB.

Stewart

Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I find it slightly amusing that almost 7 1/2 years after Ford put out the TSB that Mercon was being superseded with Mercon V, some people will still argue not to use Merc V because of what their owners manual states, even when told about the TSB.

Stewart
(Now you're just trying to hurt my feelings.)

Old 10-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
(Now you're just trying to hurt my feelings.)
Huh?

Stewart

Old 10-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Huh?

Stewart
I am kidding. This is only humor. Because I am one of the persons you are referring to and had a heated discussion on the forum with Mark K. (who is an expert on the matter) when I was armed with the info in my manual supplemented with what the teenage counter person told me at Napa.

So my foot fits that shoe perfectly...

Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Actually I would stay away from the late 2000 & 2001 4R100's due the spag set up they used somewhere in that time period.

Only 01 has the Mechanical Diode. 99-00 and 02-03 are fine.

If you do have a stock original 01 just change it out during the rebuild.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I am kidding. This is only humor. Because I am one of the persons you are referring to and had a heated discussion on the forum with Mark K.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...gotcha!

I knew you was being funny-funny, but I didn't remember you were one of the people that hesitated using the Merc V.

I really am slightly amused when it happens. I used to be completely amused, but I guess time has worn that down.

The amusement comes from the point when my minds eye see's the light bulb go off in a persons head when they understand we're not full of it, and they believe us.

Stewart

Quick Reply: 4R100 2WD to 4WD