Notices

Tornado fuel saver???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 11:43 PM
TonyG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tornado fuel saver???

I've been seeing some ads for the 'tonado' fuel saver. Has anyone tried them? It looks to me like it works and the principle is respctable. I Just think you have to get it as close to the carb or injector as possible.
TonyG

Old 01-04-2002, 09:17 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Tornado fuel saver???

save your money or give it to a charity who could really use it. Anything that restricts your airflow (no matter how swirly it makes it) is crap.

Old 01-06-2002, 10:28 PM
Edgey1
New User
Tornado fuel saver???

I installed one on my 2001 Edge. I noticed a 5 mpg gain (I now get 26 mpg highway and 23 city) and quicker throttle response. It does NOT restrict the air flow. You just loosen the hose clamp on your air instake hose (where it goes into your air filter box), install it in the opening and reinstall the hose. It swirls the intake air like a little tornado - hence it's name.

Old 01-06-2002, 11:16 PM
TonyG
Senior User
Tornado fuel saver???

>I installed one on my 2001 Edge. I noticed a 5 mpg gain (I
>now get 26 mpg highway and 23 city) and quicker throttle
>response. It does NOT restrict the air flow. You just loosen
>the hose clamp on your air instake hose (where it goes into
>your air filter box), install it in the opening and
>reinstall the hose. It swirls the intake air like a little
>tornado - hence it's name.

I've seen other testimonies from radio stations testing it and other's. You just never know if their paid off or not. There's a couple posts in the archives that show no gain, (2 posts) but so far I've not seen any people who lost mileage from the "restricted air flow". Even those tests that are 'negative' say something like "it was only a .1 percent gain. Anyhow, people will say that you maybe drove with a light foot or you did a tuneup when you put it on. Or that you didn't moniter fuel mileage closely before you put it on, etc, etc. But thanks for the post. I think the only way to prove that it would restrict airflow would be to use a very sensetive vacuum gauge. I personally think it 'diverts' airflow rather than restricts it. Those old flexible hoses that go into the air cleaner inlet did more to 'restrict' airflow than a couple fins would. IMO.
Tony

Old 01-10-2002, 04:24 AM
TonyG
Senior User
Tornado fuel saver???

There is another similar product called the SprialMax.
It looks like the same principle, but possibly even more aggressive spiraling. http://www.spiralmax.com/ Make sure to check out the users comments at http://www.spiralmax.com/. They even recommend using two in some airtubes. Some of the contributors to the users comments sections have racecars and dynos.
Tony

Old 01-10-2002, 10:22 AM
abendx
Posting Guru
Tornado fuel saver???

geez... when are you all going to learn!!!!

BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!!

i got a 40 MPG (yes 40) increase with this product.....

with all my mods to the engine i am seeing an average of 400 MPG and that is driving with a lead foot!!!!!

come on fellows... do you think ford wouldn't drop this puppy in if it increased your gas milage by 25% or whatever is claimed???? it is a HOAX!!!

Old 01-10-2002, 12:02 PM
TonyG
Senior User
Tornado fuel saver???

>BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!!
>
>i got a 40 MPG (yes 40) increase with this product.....
>with all my mods to the engine i am seeing an average of 400
>MPG and that is driving with a lead foot!!!!!

WOW, so you have the magnet and K&N and the Platinum Vapor Injector and the Swirler.... You must be takin gas out when stop at the gas station. :-)

>come on fellows... do you think ford wouldn't drop this
>puppy in if it increased your gas milage by 25% or whatever
>is claimed????

I don't really trust auto companies to do the best thing, but rather the most profitable for them.
Plus, Ford might be behind the times? Mercedez, Nissan/Infinity and Chevy have added some of this idea in "their newest technological breakthroughs" See http://www.spiralmax.com/Links.html if you dare.

This product is actually admitting that there might not be any fuel mileage or performance increase. They claim a 0-31.85% in fuel mileage and a 0-35% increase in horsepower. It might not work as well on some vehicles as it does others or maybe they don't know if you already have some type of fuel swirler on?:-)
Check out the user comments if you dare. Interesting, they don't claim or promist that every vehicle will show gains.

it is a HOAX!!!

Thanks for the opinion.

Tony

Old 01-10-2002, 01:17 PM
abendx
Posting Guru
Tornado fuel saver???

tonyg....

>You must be takin gas out when stop at the gas station.

dude.... you are the MAN.... that is the funniest comment i have ever heard on here!!!

Old 01-16-2002, 08:46 PM
aksniper
Senior User
Tornado fuel saver???

See, when I installed the Tornado Fuel Saving device in my '96 Ranger as they instructed, it actually restricted the air flow to the point where you could hear the engine stalling out and this was just when I was warming up the engine. So in my opinion, the Tornado is not worth the money. I say if you bought it already, send it back.

But, they do have the right idea going with it, just a not so good product. See, for years now they have known that if you put a spin on the air it will improve your performance. So far the only company I know of that actually uses this spinning technique though would be Streets & Performance Electronics with the AirMax. It takes the best of all worlds and slaps them together. You've got a K&N Filter on it along with a straighter pipe with a spiral intake to spin the air.

So if you really wanna something good for your truck, either cough up a few more dollars and buy something with the K&N air filter. It'll be much better for you in the long run.

James

Old 02-22-2002, 08:24 AM
badboyina67
Senior User
Tornado fuel saver???

Hey Guys--
Thought i'd toss my 2 cents in here. I was doing some research on something my dad told me. Back in the 70's, before the days of computers and fuel injection on every car and truck, a company out of Chicago created a carberator that gave most vehicles about 40mpg. This was during the time of the oil crisis and gas was really expensive...go figure. The company went to the patent office and applied. There was even articles in HotRod and Popular Mechanics magazines. As soon as the oil companies, Mobil, Exxon, etc. got word of this, they bought the patent rights and destroyed the plans. It never made it to production.

So you see...most of these "Great Products" are really crap. The Tornado isn't all that it is cracked up to be. I have a buddy that bought it, he sent it back 2 days later. The K&N filters do help some, but minimal at best. The magnets do work some as well, anyone with a little science in their background would understand the fact that it breaks up the hydrogen molecules causing gas to burn cleaner for sure.

So for what its worth...if its great mileage ya want, but a Yugo or Festiva. If its All-American fun ya want, keep trucking around in these 2 ton ***** or rolling steel...that's what I'm gonna do!!!

Ken

Old 02-22-2002, 09:12 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Tornado fuel saver???

Fuel line magnets to not break up hydro-carbons nor do they align them and there is zero scientific basis for it. The companies selling them count on the fact that most Americans don't know advanced chemistry and physics. I don't claim to know advanced physics but I've read enough of the papers on this subject to know fuel line magnets only align your wallet with someone's bank account.

Old 02-22-2002, 09:18 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tornado fuel saver???

Like pappy always said - "If you can't afford the gas, don't buy the car."

It seems to strike me funny that people will build an engine, want all this extra hi-performance mods, and then worry about how to get better mileage. They get these goofy dollar store deals and think they are going to make all the difference in the world.:-X23

I want mine to pull the hat off my head, even if I have to put it back on at every gas station in town. If I want to drive something with gas mileage, I get in the wife's Honda.

Old 03-23-2002, 03:50 AM
deee
New User
Tornado fuel saver???

I've been suring the web trying to find out what people are saying about the tornado fuel saver system. Then I read about spiralmax.com on this forum. Then at spiralmax.com I found this product called the "turbo exhaust tube (tet)" (http://spiralmax.com/tet.htm ). And after seeing that product I now believe the spiralmax is not going to work because I know that tet is not going to work. If tet doesn't work and they sell it, then the spiralmax might just be the same. And if spiralmax is the same as the tornado, then tornado wouldn't work either. The two don't look exactly the same but claim to do the same thing. Though there's a chance that tornado works and spiralmax doesn't, I would doubt it for now.

The tet does not work because the swirling of air occurs after the air pass through it at the end of the exhaust pipe, which means the swirling begins when the gas exits the exhaust and doesn't do the car any good. However, tet looks pretty nice:P It would be even better if the little fin thing spins, then it'll make the car look like it's running on turbine engines HAHAHA. I'll keep this product in mind if I ever need a prop like this for shooting some low budget home movies

So in conclusion, because tet is a joke and it's the same company that sells spiralmax, then spiralmax is probably the same thing but less obvious. So I would NEVER buy spiralmax. Tornado therefore might not work too because it's a simlar product as spiralmax. However, there's a chance that tornado might work because spiralmax might just be a cheap imitation of something that works, but after seeing spiralmax and the aggressive tet I'll take my chances on not buying tornado as well.

Old 03-24-2002, 05:43 PM
juca
New User
Tornado fuel saver???