2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your favorite wax?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 AM
lakeforkfisherman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xjcamaro89
Ya, im definately going to try the clay bar this spring. I dont know why, but ive always stayed away from it.
XJ- I stayed away from it too. My brother introduced me to it a couple of years ago. He had a white Saleen that always looked showroom new. Not sure why I never caught on until now. Glad I did.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
BAF/Pro Paint Sealant (3 coats) followed by 2 coats of 3M Show car shine wax

Old 02-19-2009, 08:01 PM
dfishrmn88
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I like treat my truck as a truck, too, but sometimes, I get to feeling it needs attention. The clay bar process actually takes less than an hour. Its much easier than I thought it would be. You'll need to wash it down good first (another 45 minutes). My truck had a lot of scratches, so I did some scratch-out stuff in various areas- mainly around the top of the rear fenders where I had scratched it up getting crap out of the bed. Add to that the Maguires wax/cleaner and if you choose, another coat of wax
(I prefer the NXT 2.0), you may have a total of 4+ hours. I guarantee after its done, you be glad.
I bit the bullet and bought the kit today and will do it this weekend. Everyone made it sound to good to pass up! A little extra work won't hurt me!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:19 AM
lakeforkfisherman
Senior User
Originally Posted by dfishrmn88
I bit the bullet and bought the kit today and will do it this weekend. Everyone made it sound to good to pass up! A little extra work won't hurt me!
Be sure to post your experience here!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:09 PM
gordo777
Cross-Country
I have the best luck with NUFINISH wax. It removes the "residue" you get after alot of winter grime, and my '97 Explorer looked like new when I sold it last year.
It's not for any plastic at all, as it leaves a white film, so you have to be careful in that regard.
I use it twice a year and the shine is awsome.
The clay bar does look interesting, tho.
Might try that before waxing in the spring.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:28 AM
dfishrmn88
Senior User
Maguires NXT Generation Tech Pro 2.0. Just put it on my black F150 after clay bar and Maguires cleaner/wax. hat paint looks 4" thick now and it got rid of a bunch of scratches. If you've never clay bar'd your truck, I recommend it. You won't believe the contaminates that come out the clear coat. Plus, the wax works better after clay bar.
Something I forgot ask before: Can the clay bar be used on chrome, bumpers, especially the plastic F150 insignias, etc.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:26 AM
JackDaniel
Senior User
Originally Posted by jstnromero
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to start a thread to see what your favorite car waxes are. I know that there are many out there but I just wanna hear your experiences good or bad.

On the topic, I always go for Meguiars Gold Class Paste Wax.

Look forward to hearing what you use!

~jstnromero

I pay a little extra for Wolfgang products .
WolfgangCarCare.com

Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 AM
magnet1
Senior User
Yes, from what I read on some of the kits it can be used on chrome, plastic, glass, and wheels.
As far as the black plastic pieces that fade over time; A detail shop told me they use a fine steel wool with soapy water to scrub the white oxidation out of the plastic. Let it dry, then coat it with your back to black or whatever you are going to use. Without getting rid of the oxidation first, the coating you apply will not last as long.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:01 AM
dfishrmn88
Senior User
Originally Posted by magnet1
Yes, from what I read on some of the kits it can be used on chrome, plastic, glass, and wheels.
As far as the black plastic pieces that fade over time; A detail shop told me they use a fine steel wool with soapy water to scrub the white oxidation out of the plastic. Let it dry, then coat it with your back to black or whatever you are going to use. Without getting rid of the oxidation first, the coating you apply will not last as long.
Good info!

Old 02-21-2009, 03:09 PM
NORTHLAND06
Senior User
I have used LIQUIDGLASS wax. You put this stuff with plosihing pad wet down the pad little bit and put on and let dry in the sun and wipe of after and this left behind shine and fell as smooth as baby butt. and water bead off like crazy. Assume stuff.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:32 PM
lakeforkfisherman
Senior User
Something I forgot ask before: Can the clay bar be used on chrome, bumpers, especially the plastic F150 insignias, etc.
Yes. I used it on everything but my wheels- only because I got tired and was ready to stop. I used it on the plastic fender flares and it worked just as well as it did on the paint.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
dfishrmn88
Senior User
Be sure to post your experience here!
Well I did it over the weekend. Took about 2 hours to clay it and wax. Really does give the finish some "depth" and wasn't really difficult at all. My finish didn't seem to be in too bad of shape, only took a few passes before you couldn't feel the resistance with the bar. Also took off a little bit of tar I had on the front bumper. Definitely worth the effort, would highly recommend it!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
lakeforkfisherman
Senior User
Well I did it over the weekend. Took about 2 hours to clay it and wax. Really does give the finish some "depth" and wasn't really difficult at all. My finish didn't seem to be in too bad of shape, only took a few passes before you couldn't feel the resistance with the bar. Also took off a little bit of tar I had on the front bumper. Definitely worth the effort, would highly recommend it!
Awesome dfishrmn88! I took a bunch of tar off mine, too. I think I am gonna throw that bar of clay away. They say if you drop your clay on the ground, throw it away. Those dirt particles from teh ground could do some damage. I gotta think tar would, too. Clay is cheap- paint is not.

Congratulations and welcome to the "Clay Bar" (really, we should start a club!).

Old 02-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Rusty Bumper
Junior User
Originally Posted by gordo777
I have the best luck with NUFINISH wax. It removes the "residue" you get after alot of winter grime, and my '97 Explorer looked like new when I sold it last year.
It's not for any plastic at all, as it leaves a white film, so you have to be careful in that regard.
I use it twice a year and the shine is awsome.
The clay bar does look interesting, tho.
Might try that before waxing in the spring.
+1 with using NUFINISH. I didn't admit to using it earlier in this thread since it's not one of the "premium" car kits. It was highly rated when it first came out and I've been using it for years. Just keep it off black plastic like gordo says but peanut butter will take the white residue off if need be.

I use a clay bar kit like Maguires first and then apply the NUFINISH. I do it twice a year and get lots of compliments, especially with the black truck.

HINT: To minimize swirls, I wash, clay bar and wax by going back and forth in the direction of the longer section of the panel and never use a circular motion. Fold and knead the clay bar when you see specks on the cleaning surface.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
i always discard my clay bar when done with the truck....in my opinion ~30 dollars a year for a couple of clay bar kits is much cheaper than a new paint job....

~jstnromero

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is your favorite wax?