Notices

wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 04:09 AM
aksniper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel spacers

I am considering buying a set of wheel spacers for my '96 Ranger. Has anyone tried any kind of wheel spacers on their trucks before? Were they difficult to install? Did they really do anything for handling? Did they look any better than the stock setup for wheels? Was it definately worth the money or a waste? Thanks for any information.

James

Old 04-01-2002, 04:26 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wheel spacers

Wheel Spacers - are you talking about the spacers you can buy to put between the wheel and rotor? Basically a round piece of steel with holes in it for the studs to go through...

If so - I wouldn't advise putting them on unless you are trying to make a wheel fit and not rub. They are the most irritating things made. For one simple reason - you can't get the vibration out. Most of them are not cut symetric, so the weight is off anyway. Plus trying to line them up center while you tighten the lugs is tough.

I ran them for a while with a set of regular 17x8 SVT wheels on my Explorer. I'll never use the spacers again...

JMO though...

Old 04-02-2002, 09:38 AM
Cobra 427
Mountain Pass
wheel spacers

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Apr-02 AT 10:43 AM (EST)]I've had really good luck with the billet alum wheel spacers from Crow Auto. I've got them on the rear of my Bullitt. They are both lug and hub centric, so they don't introduce any vibration.

I highly recommend them.

Check it out! http://crowautomotive.com

Have Fun,
Randy R...

Old 04-02-2002, 10:06 AM
aksniper
Senior User
wheel spacers

Thanks for the comments guys. Think I'll have to research them some more. Was going to put them on my '96 Ranger with a set of 235/75R15s and some fender flares. Kind of wanted them pushed out a little more just to be different and look cool with the fender flares. Also...don't know how true it is on a truck compared to a car...but was thinking that if you push the tires out just a little on both sides, wouldn't it also have less tendancy or be more difficult for the vehicle to try rolling over because of being a little wider? Or am I just one of those people buying too much into the whole "wider is better" theory?

James

Old 04-02-2002, 10:28 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
wheel spacers

I would go with either a different set of wheels, or a different tire size - say a 255/60 or something. Then you would have more tire on the pavement, and not just out more. 235/75 is not that wide of a tire, just pretty tall...

Old 04-02-2002, 11:22 PM
aksniper
Senior User
wheel spacers

well the 235/75 I know I can fit on my truck once I lift it but if I go wider I'm still concerned about it rubbing the inside of the wheel well on turns. So far no one (including Ford themselves) has been able to tell me what the biggest tire I can put on my 2wd truck. Thanks for the info though.

James

Old 04-03-2002, 09:41 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
wheel spacers

You might want to try tirerack.com, or get their phone number and give them a call. I didn't know you were going to lift it. If they are not sure, there is an outfit in Griffin, GA. that I know can help you. It is The Truck Stop - 770.229.4533. They do nothing but lift kits and accessories.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-03-2002, 11:02 AM
aksniper
Senior User
wheel spacers

Well see...right now its just a 2wd that I'm wanting to start by building it to look like and act like a 4wd even though still only 2wd. And finally build it into like a stadium race truck. But I figure I'm looking at at least a 2 year project in everything so why not have some fun in the process. Granted its going to cost me to do anything and everything but we only live once and we all have our project or something we blow our wad on to make us happy. Hehe, certainly rather put money in my truck than Uncle Sam's back pocket. But yeah, once I lift my truck I know the 235/75R15s will fit, just gotta check out these guys you suggested and see if they know if the tires will fit and not rub or anything before I do the lift. Guess you could say trying to do everything at once yet in a strategic way to try spreading out the cost. I know...weird way of saying it. Thanks for the help again.

James

Old 04-03-2002, 01:07 PM
chris_keller
New User
wheel spacers