Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Virginia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: archtaan

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Senior User

fordguy21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
drum brakes suck!!

Oh, Btw, wric that wheel cover is still there actually it fits tighter the my other ones

well, today Sunday I replaced all the brakes all around, front discs were easy, its when I did the back drums that's where the nightmare began. It was the first time alone mess n with drum breaks, those retaining spring things were kicking my butt, I had the right tools and all it was just getting everything lined up, then on one side I had to take it apart because I forgot to put a washer in.

After all that I decided to flush out the old fluid cause brake fluid not suppose to be black,

I got a hand pump from advance and used that, it went well, so I test drove it and the pedel felt worse then before. I adjusted the rear brakes and then it still didnt fill right, so I double checked make sure the bleeders were tight all but one were, and on the one when I went to tighten it it just spun.

I tooke it out and noticed metal shaving on it, but the threads were good, by then it was dark and I had not ate anything sense the night before so I tryed some teflon tape but it didnt work, so I had to get it back in the drive way, I was working by the garage in the alley so I couldnt leave it as someone may break in to it, I was suprised that if you pushed down all the way to the floor it would stop so I got it around the block back in the drive way, and now I get to replace the wheel cylinders (probly a good thing), also I get to get more practice taking the drum breaks apart again to replace the cylinders

Sorry just had to vent
Old 02-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Elder User

SSG VA BEACH is starting off with a positive reputation.
So are you an expert on the brakes yet ? cause I have thought of doing mine and our trucks are the same probably, I hav'nt messed with brakes since an 85 150 I had.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Senior User

update, last nite I was able to replace the leaking cylinder took about 3 hours after work, then today I replaced the other wheel cylinder as your suppose to replace in pairs, and it took about 1/2 the time.

drum brakes look complicated, but if you take them one step at a time is really nothing to them

I still need to bleed the system completely, but I now have brakes with all new break fluid nice and clear
Old 02-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Post Fiend

kjett is a splendid one to beholdkjett is a splendid one to beholdkjett is a splendid one to beholdkjett is a splendid one to beholdkjett is a splendid one to beholdkjett is a splendid one to beholdkjett is a splendid one to behold
It's even easier if you have the right tools, like the little special wrenches! I guess it's a little late, but did make sure you put a little blob of antiseeze on both sides of the adjusters? not talking about the ends, but pull them apart and some on the threads and some on the slip end.....

Free Paul and Dan from random moderator oppression!!!

1995 F-150
Ranger Mud Truck
Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Post Fiend

tin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to alltin-man is a name known to all
I just repaired mine, I have 8-lug drums all around. Real fun!! lol

Join the SC chapter HERE
Master Slacker#12
True compassion puts love in action
Old 02-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Senior User

oh, thanks kjett didnt put any there but will next time I take wheels off, but I did have all the right tools and all, even put high temp brake grease on the contact points around the drum, and of course anti squeal on the front pads. First time took so long cause I was going by the book following each picture, but it all good now.

tin-man - oh, ill stick with my two rear drums ty
Old 02-19-2009, 06:08 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Virginia Chapter

Tags
40, brake, brakes, drum, ford, rear, squeal, suck