1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Eric_F250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parking brake

about a year ago i got new drums/shoes/adjuster. after that, the parking brake stopped setting correctly.

it would set if the front was pointed down the hill, but if the bed was pointed down the hill the truck would roll backwards about 5 feet before parking brake would engage.

i took it back to the shop that did the brake work and they said the rear cables were damaged and needed replaced. that didn't fix the problem.

another time i took it in and they said they adjusted cables. that didn't fix it either.

took it in again last week and they said the front cable was binding in the sleeve and not engaging the brake shoes fully. so they replaced the front cable and sleeve.

now the brake still is not setting correctly with nose uphill. to make it worse, it won't set pointed downhill either!

i am getting aggravated because i'd thought they would have diagnosed the entire system the first time and identified root cause. they say they have to rule out one thing at a time. seems to me like they are throwing parts at it and i have to pay for labor each time.

i am curious about your thoughts on:

1. what is going on with my parking brake?

2. is it common for a shop (this is a NAPA 4x4 center) to string repairs like this along in babysteps rather than find/fix the problem right off the bat?

i usually do repairs and maintenance myself, but thought i'd leave the braking system to the "experts". i am second guessing my thinking on that one...

Old 02-15-2009, 10:58 AM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And this all started after they did the rear brakes the 1st time? I think they screwed up the first time around and are now throwing parts at it because they don't know what they did wrong to begin with. I'd find another shop that can go back and fix the original problem with the brakes.
They charged you to adjust the cables? There is no adjustment, when they stretch the only thing you can do is replace them!

Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Eric_F250

it would set if the front was pointed down the hill, but if the bed was pointed down the hill the truck would roll backwards about 5 feet before parking brake would engage.
I totally agree with bluemule, take it to another shop. Have them document what they find. It sounds like the shoes were installed backward, front to rear. There is more brake lining on the rear shoe than on the front.

How do the brakes feel when stopping normally?
If the brakes are not adjusted up tight, the p-brake will not work very good or not at all especially if the cables are stretched, which they most likely are.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:00 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the brakes are not adjust up right enough to start with. It is not normal for a shop of good quality to string along repairs let alone make the customer pay for stuff that doesn't fix the problem!! Our shop (Napa auto care center as well) if we screw up a diagnostic and it doesn't fix the problem we don't charge. It hurts but we can sleep at night......

Old 02-15-2009, 04:58 PM
kawa
Postmaster
I'm with the mis-adjustment and backwards installation. You need a reputable brake shop to diagnose the problem and have it repaired properly. Then go back and demand Money back or file small claims action (if warranted by the findings) Brakes are nothing to screw with. People die!

Rog

Old 02-15-2009, 07:15 PM
tjfranko
New User
where do i find a bigger down pipe for my 96, 7.3? how hard is it to install?

Old 02-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Eric_F250
Senior User
tjfranko- i had good luck with tymar. good price and great instructions.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Eric_F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by BlueMule
And this all started after they did the rear brakes the 1st time?
mule- yes- the original issue that took me into the shop was grabby brakes when wet and an e-brake that took pushing the pedal all the way down to the floor to engage. but at least then it would engage. trouble started after that initial visit. i wish i had left well enough alone.

took it in for a fifth time today and they looked at it but couldn't figure it out. tomorrow they will take it in again and replace the shoes (at their cost). they said there are no leaks and the leading shoe is not placed in trailing position.

they said they realize in retrospect that all the charges may not have been totally appropriate. i have no high hopes about getting any money back, but at least they are committed to resolving the issue and are willing to absorb all costs from here on out. fwiw, i do trust that their intention is good. they are nice people and have been helpful on other issues.

any more ideas?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Eric_F250
Senior User
today they made sure the drums were round and replaced the shoes and linings. only thing left that is not brand new is the parking brake pedal.

maybe it is the new shoes, but there was a LOT more rolling resistance as i drove it home today. had to get way into the accelerator pedal to keep my speed up. when i got home the wheels and drums were very hot and smelled (like hot brakes). is this something that is normal when the rear linings are new? does it take a while for them to seat, or did they adjust things too tight?

maybe it was because they were hot, but the brake grabbed much less than normal. instead of rolling back 5-10 feet- i would have rolled all the way back down my hill a quarter mile had i not stopped with the hydraulic brakes.

they have called other shops, ford, consulted the manuals and the almighty internet, and are still stumped on what could be causing the parking brake not to grab. everyone sure would appreciate it if someone had a silver bullet. anyone?

maybe i am expecting too much. is it normal to roll back several feet, or do your guy's brakes set without rolling backwards?

Old 02-18-2009, 01:14 AM
kawa
Postmaster
It sounds like they are playing Cover Your A$$ and adjusted the brakes very tight. That is why the truck doesn't roll free, hot brakes & drums and the smell of hot brakes. That still is not right.

Rog

Old 02-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend

fwiw, i do trust that their intention is good. they are nice people and have been helpful on other issues.

any more ideas?

The path to hell is paved with good intentions.

vvv Your next post proves it! vvv
today they made sure the drums were round and replaced the shoes and linings. only thing left that is not brand new is the parking brake pedal.

maybe it is the new shoes, but there was a LOT more rolling resistance as i drove it home today. had to get way into the accelerator pedal to keep my speed up. when i got home the wheels and drums were very hot and smelled (like hot brakes). is this something that is normal when the rear linings are new? does it take a while for them to seat, or did they adjust things too tight?

maybe it was because they were hot, but the brake grabbed much less than normal. instead of rolling back 5-10 feet- i would have rolled all the way back down my hill a quarter mile had i not stopped with the hydraulic brakes.

they have called other shops, ford, consulted the manuals and the almighty internet, and are still stumped on what could be causing the parking brake not to grab. everyone sure would appreciate it if someone had a silver bullet. anyone?

maybe i am expecting too much. is it normal to roll back several feet, or do your guy's brakes set without rolling backwards?
I agree with Rog, the brakes were adjusted too tight.... period. These guys:
1. don't know what they are doing or
2. they are pounding sand up your butt.