Notices

k&n

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 05:36 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
k&n

does this really work? i installed one in my 93 f-150 300-i6 an noticed a drop off in mpg and not much performance increase. i did take off the cold air tube going to the front, is that the problem (altough i doubt it).

Old 09-18-2002, 10:29 PM
poopey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k&n

If you used the stock OEM replacement type filter you wont notice much difference because of the restriction of the stock air intake.But at least it flows more air than paper.

Old 09-19-2002, 05:50 PM
dpoelstra
Senior User
k&n

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-Sep-02 AT 06:51 PM (EST)]A friend of mine tested the K&N in his 95 F250 4X4, w/460 towing a heavy trailer. He says the K&N made NO difference, but he moved the cold air intake to the actual grill opening, and that alone made a big difference.

He actually gave away the $150 K&N unit.

Just a thought.

Old 09-21-2002, 03:14 AM
nobleman
Freshman User
k&n

I gotta tell you, I was skeptical about K&N, my buddy was going off about them saying how incredible blah, blah, blah. Yeah whatever, I gave the plain air filter a shot. I figured what the he!!, it's washable, reusable, it'll pay for itself in about a year or two, and give me something cute to do when I change my oil. The whole airflow thing makes sense too. First off, I thought it was the wrong size because it is about 3 times thinner than a paper "kleenex" filter. Then the K&N people explained that the "more advanced oil filtration system blah, blah, blah... over a paper filter." Anyway, I install the thing, turn on my engine, and maybe it was psychological, but I heard a cleaner, crisper, less athsmatic roar from under the hood. I did notice slightly better response, maybe a bit more performance, but no change in gas mileage. It is cute when I change the oil and clean the filter, the only downside is I can't drive until my filter dries and I re-install it. I mean he!!, the truck performed anyway, it's a sport trac, but call it psychosis or fact, I feel better with the K&N. I would like to see a benchmark though.

Old 10-01-2002, 10:54 PM
41Clay
Elder User
k&n

Personaly I think the k&n is an advanced Oil Bath cleaner like the first air cleaners on the flatheads, and maybe a little better. I like mine because it looks clean at all times unlike the white paper filters, so no one tells me "change your air filter, it's dirty," (o-please get your own car to worry about). It has the performance look, that all makes my engine look proffessional at first glance, just don't look twice.

Old 10-04-2002, 09:51 AM
Chuky66
Senior User
k&n

Hey guys,
I've seen a post on this board where some one did a test on the k&n and a paper filter and pretty much came up with no significant improvement by the k&n. I can't remember who it was or where I saw it. It might have been in the performance section?? A search might reveal some info on it? Or Mil1ion might know something about it? (he usually does!!) Anyway, just something you might want to look into.
Chuck
78 Ext.Cab Short-bed
Headers,dual 2.5in pipes,750 Holly,roller timing set,MSD spark box on the way,it's a work-a-holic

Old 10-06-2002, 09:55 PM
bam78bam
New User
k&n

read the past posts, there is alot of talk about k&n. you'll see that k&n does give a somewhat performance increase but at the cost of letting more silicia into your motor. some of these guys have even gone so far as to test the amount of trash the filters let in. and when you think about it makes sense.

Old 10-08-2002, 01:37 PM
AOGDEN
Senior User
k&n

Old 10-10-2002, 08:05 AM
sport
Freshman User
k&n

Most of the time the throttle plate is the largest restriction in your intake system. Unless you spend a considerable amout of time at wide open throttle, it's hard to visualize a K&N really making a difference. Just my opinion of course...