2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange ABS issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Drizzt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange ABS issue

My ABS light is on but for some reason the ABS is still functioning. Slamming on the brakes on the ice the pedal is still vibrating and i can hear the ABS kicking in.

I was under the impression that when the ABS light was on the system was disabled and regular braking was then enacted... :s

anyone have any issues like this?

edit** sorry its an 04 Scab 4x4 new body style

Old 02-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Wyatt66f100
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
ABS still functions. you could have several problems or just one. can you pull codes? if you can i can help. could be a wheel speed sensor out. ABS will still monitor other wheel speed sensors and activate it when needed. save you tires, but a code reader. -Ford Tech

Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Drizzt
Senior User
i would really appreciate the help if you could step me through pulling the codes. I used a colleague's CANOBD2 Reader (which apparently reads ABS codes) and nothing came up. I had a few codes come up during the KOER test but it was mostly sensors out of range. not sure if it was because those systems weren't functioning. IE) brake switch and A/C pressure switch.

i do have to modify my previous statement. The ABS functions for about one or two seconds THEN the wheels lock up. I was testing it last night and watching the wheels. It will pulsate for the first couple seconds then it will lock up. I'm still thinking its a wheel sensor but i had a look at the wiring and it was all good. I didn't Ohm out or check the AC voltage with the wheel spinning though. I've been busy trying to get the repairs done to get the truck on the road to do that.

Are the ABS wheel sensors not integrated into the Wheel bearing? On my brother's 02 F150 4x4 the sensor was not removable (either that or it was siezed in the hub) but even the new bearing came with a sensor installed into it.

I changed the rotors and did not see a tone ring on either the old, or the new rotors.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Wyatt66f100
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
it for sure has a tone ring. it cant just not have one unless you had work done to it and they put on the wrong parts. get a code reader that reads all communication lines not just can bus. im just asking this to make sure you get full code reading. i just use the one at work. i dont pay attention to the communication lines but i know it reads all of them. what you have may work tho. try wiggling the sensor if there is any play in it that can cause a faulse reading. code readers can indicate an internal fault in a sensor

Old 02-18-2009, 09:44 PM
tazz3369
New User
i have a 2004 f150 4wd the same happened to me it was the rear wheel speed sensor and there is only one of them at the rear in the top of your diff