Fix it or replace it

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:33 PM
SGT_Tripplehorn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fix it or replace it

I've got a 2001 F150 super cab with a big old dent in on the passenger side of the bed. The fender trim got broken off (I know that can easily be replaced) and the door got a little bent in. I tried fixing the door with some bondo which actually turned out decent but the bed has too big of a dent to fix due to a long crease about two feet long on it. The question I have is I can just replace the side of the box or would I have to go to a junkyard and trade for another one?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
You can go to a dealership and order just the bedside. I forget what the cost is, but you might also want to look at a junkyard that deals with take offs (Thats when they remove the bed for a utility body or flatbed) Remember one thing, you want to try and use as little bondo as possibe for your repairs.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:21 PM
SGT_Tripplehorn
New User
I would like to replace the side of the box myself and I was wodering how hard it would do myself. Also what else other than bondo should I use. I mean it has a pretty decent finish but I was hand sanding it instead of using a sanding board (got some bad advice) so I have to sand it down and build it back up again. If anyone could send me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
If you have no previous experience replaceing a welded on panel, I would suggest finding someone that has. There are two ways of going about fixing the panel. One way is full replacement, the other is to just replace the area that is damaged. Both have their pros and cons.
Tools required, drill, wire wheel for drill (to help locate spot welds under the paint), spot weld cutter or spot weld drill bit, welder, grinder, cut off wheels, possibly air saw. The a DA and maybe a sanding board (you should have one for the door anyway.

Process:If going for full panel replacement, you have to remove the bed and slide it either back or off to acess the welds on the front of the box. Next you have to locate all teh spot welds from teh factory and cut them . Then you have to remove the old panel. On the new panel you need to drill holes on the flanges that were welded on the original to reweld the new panel in place. Then line up new panel and plug weld it in place. (You need to have just as many plug welds as spot welds to porperly hold the panel in place) Then finish panel accordingly.
Or just cut out the bad section, make a patch panel from the new panel and weld in place.

The above is just a breif synopsis, there is alot of skill and time involved in a repair like this.

As for something else than bondo, no there is nothing else. I use fiberglass on some repairs first, then use bondo on top of that. But you will need the proper equipment to make it look right. (Sanding boards, DA, also spot putties) Like I said before, you always want to use as little bondo as possible. (I mean in thickness here) Repair the damage first, then use bondo.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 AM
SGT_Tripplehorn
New User
I see, I figured there would be a lot of work involved but with me being in the military I could just have someone weld on the replacement panel. I don't like the idea of making a patch because in my mind it seems it would require more work. When I lowered my tailgate I saw some of the spot welds and I figure I could just drill out the welds to remove the panel. Everything else on the box is fine so I really didn't want to replace the whole box, and since my truck is paid off and not getting any younger I don't want to drop a lot of cash on it. I also noticed I could purchase a door skin for the door on the extended cab but I don't know how I would swap it out. If I could replace all the bent metal with new then I wouldn't have to worry about filling with bondo and I'm sure in the long run would be a better solution.