Looking for some transmition knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM
crazychuck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some transmition knowledge

I am getting ready to rebuild my c6 and here is a list of the parts I have ordered,

76-96 C6 Truck
Transmission Master Rebuild Kit
TRANSGO C6
1967-ON SHIFT KIT
FORD C6 HEAVY DUTY TORQUE CONVERTER, LOW STALL
SONNAX FORD C6 PUMP GEARS
SONNAX FORD C6 REVERSE PLANET ENDPLAY SHIM (6 SLOT)
SONNAX FORD C6 SUNSHELL SAVER SHIM (5 PACK)
C6 Front Pump 66-ON
SONNAX FORD C6 1-2 ACCUMULATOR SPRING SET

Anyone have any advice? Will I need anymore parts?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:15 PM
courios gorge
Freshman User
did you order new steels and discs,

Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 PM
sc00ter
Senior User
My transtar master kit did not come with a new modulator or 2nd gear servo piston- I definately needed them both. Both parts are pretty cheap. Why did you order all the shim kits? I can see getting a thrust washer kit, a few endplay selectives and some selective snaprings for the foreward clutch ( mine was at max clearance with frictions and steels and the original snap ring), but that's about it.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:31 PM
icrman
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There maybe some bushings/bearings needed as well. Especially the input and out put bearings. All those bearings need to be checked for wear/fit / clearance etc.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 AM
crazychuck
New User
Originally Posted by sc00ter
My transtar master kit did not come with a new modulator or 2nd gear servo piston- I definately needed them both. Both parts are pretty cheap. Why did you order all the shim kits? I can see getting a thrust washer kit, a few endplay selectives and some selective snaprings for the foreward clutch ( mine was at max clearance with frictions and steels and the original snap ring), but that's about it.
My kit came with the steels and the shims were cheap and I wasnt sure if I would need them so I got them. I have a book that I am gonna use to do it but other than that I have never rebuilt a transmission. Any tips and tricks would be appreciated. I have been told as long as I put everything back the way it came out and didnt damage anything, then it will be fine. I am not nervous about this project, I am gonna take it slow and if I dont know I will ask. I will have to check out my kit and see what it came with as far as snap rings and what not. Any advice from everybody would be great.

Thanks

Old 02-25-2009, 11:02 AM
crazychuck
New User
Originally Posted by icrman
There maybe some bushings/bearings needed as well. Especially the input and out put bearings. All those bearings need to be checked for wear/fit / clearance etc.
What kind of bearings? The press in kind? I am planning on starting the project sometime in the next week or two but it may be delayed on the arrival of the new baby. Thanks for your post and any advice you have would be great.
take care

Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 AM
crazychuck
New User
Also the pump gears that I had ordered were discontinued, will I need them?

Old 02-25-2009, 07:59 PM
sc00ter
Senior User
There are no bearings in a stock c6, only bushings and thrustwashers. The bushings are all press fit- you only need to replace those that are worn out-I replaced any that had worn throught the copper colored layer. Typically you'll only have to do the t/c bushing and the tailshaft bushing if its a 2wd (no tailshaft bushings on 4x4s). the c6 is pretty user friendly to rebuild- no special seal installers or centering tools needed. just a good clutch spring compressor. Air check each clutch pack after you assemble it and check the clearance before you put it back in the case, and inspect each tooth on the planetary, sun and ring gears. Recheck endplay after you've replaced the thrust washers. Visually inspect your pump gears- if they're not scored on the sides or broken/chipped you should be ok. Is the tranny working right now? Why are you rebuilding it? If it wasn't making noise from the pump, I don't see any reason to replace the gears.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Beanscoot
Cargo Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
"Looking for some transmition knowledge "

....like how to spell transmission?

Old 02-28-2009, 08:40 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by crazychuck
Also the pump gears that I had ordered were discontinued, will I need them?

The factory pumps work fine.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:19 PM
crazychuck
New User
Originally Posted by sc00ter
There are no bearings in a stock c6, only bushings and thrustwashers. The bushings are all press fit- you only need to replace those that are worn out-I replaced any that had worn throught the copper colored layer. Typically you'll only have to do the t/c bushing and the tailshaft bushing if its a 2wd (no tailshaft bushings on 4x4s). the c6 is pretty user friendly to rebuild- no special seal installers or centering tools needed. just a good clutch spring compressor. Air check each clutch pack after you assemble it and check the clearance before you put it back in the case, and inspect each tooth on the planetary, sun and ring gears. Recheck endplay after you've replaced the thrust washers. Visually inspect your pump gears- if they're not scored on the sides or broken/chipped you should be ok. Is the tranny working right now? Why are you rebuilding it? If it wasn't making noise from the pump, I don't see any reason to replace the gears.
I am rebuilding it because it is leaking around the front of the transmission. I figured that if im gonna pull it out and stop the leak, I can rebuild it.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:17 PM
sc00ter
Senior User
I think you've got more than enough parts for what you're trying to accomplish. Now you'll just have to order replacements for the parts you actually find damaged when you've got it torn down.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 AM
icrman
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Bushing is a bearing. Nomenclature and definitions.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:51 PM
crazychuck
New User
well today I found out today im an idiot. I started to remove everything in the way of the transmission and found that the cooler lines have some pinholes and spraying up on to the transmission. I am still gonna rebuild the transmission though, I have the parts and I have the time so I am gonna go for it. Any info anyone has would be great, and thankyou to everyone that has responded already.