About to do plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:00 AM
ISUsuperduty
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy About to do plugs

Well the time has come after reading about all the plug issues on here. My truck is a 2002 5.4 with 107,000 miles. I've owned the truck since 9k miles and was a faithful believer in the Ford manual for service, but it sounds like I've waited far too long. I've never had an issue with this truck and it's never been in the shop.

Needless to say I'm scarred to death that once I do this I'll have a spark plug blow out. I know that these things are very specific to proper torque specs and plan to install to exact specs. I plan to just barely loosen them, and soak them a while, probably overnight with penetrating fluid and buy the revised motorcraft plugs.

Are there any other tips that you guys have for me?
Should I just wait, based on the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" rule?
If I do wait, will I have a blow out, or any other issues?

Any other tips or thoughts would be very helpful... and I hope to do a decent write up for this to help out other users when I'm finished.

Really appreciate it guys!

Old 02-10-2009, 03:39 AM
navyfordman
Junior User
I know that there are a lot of guys in here that have changed out plugs on their vehicles. I had mine done on my 150 about 20,000 miles ago by a pro and no issues as of yet, KNOCK ON WOOD!! I would do a searchin here for specific details on changing them out so I am not stealing other's ideas about how to do this. If you follow all the steps and be careful with you torques and specs you shouldnt have any issues. Good luck with your adventure!!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Stone Mathews
Senior User
I did mine about 5,000 miles ago (at 79,000 miles.) There are numerous threads on this website that go into great detail about how to change these plugs. Racerguy's thread on it was my fav.

It is a pain. It takes a long time the first time you do it. You MUST have a torque wrench and numerous socket extensions. That is all I'll say at this point. Do a search on the forums and you will find all you need to know.

Bottom line, find out the torque setting for your engine, and follow the directions to a "T".

Don't be afraid to do it. My truck really came to life after the new plugs, and leaving them in there forever isn't an option. Plenty of people have had them blow out after 100,000 miles on the plugs. (Note that I do not think blow outs are as common as we all believe.)

Good luck!!

Stone

Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Bopper
Junior User
Only advise I would have is, What if?

What if you break a plug? Don't start the job when you might need the truck. Wait till you could take it or tow it to the dealer/shop and have them get it out. I purchased the OTC6900 ratchet extension with the rubber boot in it for my Mustangs plugs, It made pulling ad putting the plugs in real easy. Make sure you use a torque wrench to remove the plugs. I forget the torque setting but if the plug is requiring more then 35-40 ft lbs to remove then that plug might be a real issue for you and I would attempt changing that one last. If only one or two don't come out you could drive it if need be to a shop that has the special removal tool, just write down which you changed. All of this is on the conservitive side for sure, you could just grip and rip if you want.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Stone Mathews
Senior User
Bopper is right, be prepared if something goes wrong. Be sure to soak those plugs a little in BP Blaster or something to help get them loose. You don't want to break a plug or pull the threads out with the plug.

One quick note just in case, your 2002 5.4 torque settings won't be any where as high as 35-40 ft lbs. More like somewhere in the mid to lower teens.

My advice is to get an inch lbs wrench. It will be much more accurate than trying to use a ft lbs wrench that low on it's scale.

Stone

Old 02-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Bopper
Junior User
The 35-40 ft/lbs torque was for the removal.this is to not over stress the plugs on the removal, leaving the carbonized lower sheath of the plug behind.

Torque setting on the install of the plugs on the 4.6L 3 valve Mustang engine was much lower at 25 ft/lbs. there is also a torque setting for the COP bolt that is very light as well ( ?? in/lbs)

Old 02-11-2009, 06:35 PM
ISUsuperduty
Junior User
Thanks for the help guys... I'll check out the torque specs and be ready for anything.

Thanks again.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 PM
pony
Senior User
Originally Posted by ISUsuperduty
Well the time has come after reading about all the plug issues on here. My truck is a 2002 5.4 with 107,000 miles. I've owned the truck since 9k miles and was a faithful believer in the Ford manual for service, but it sounds like I've waited far too long. I've never had an issue with this truck and it's never been in the shop.

Needless to say I'm scarred to death that once I do this I'll have a spark plug blow out. I know that these things are very specific to proper torque specs and plan to install to exact specs. I plan to just barely loosen them, and soak them a while, probably overnight with penetrating fluid and buy the revised motorcraft plugs.

Are there any other tips that you guys have for me?
Should I just wait, based on the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" rule?
If I do wait, will I have a blow out, or any other issues?

Any other tips or thoughts would be very helpful... and I hope to do a decent write up for this to help out other users when I'm finished.

Really appreciate it guys!

You mention "revised plugs" . What is the story on them?
thx,
pony

Old 02-12-2009, 01:03 PM
ISUsuperduty
Junior User
I believe the parts of the plug are welded together instead of crimped. This is to ensure that the porcellen doesn't not seperate from the metal part of the plug.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Blow out the holes before starting. Shoot some kind of penetrator down each hole and let them sit for a bit. Back them all off about a 1/4 turn and shoot some more stuff down. Blow them out again and get at it. Proper torque and patience lots of patience.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:54 AM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You guys are confusing the 5.4 3v plugs with the 5.4 2v plugs. There is no need to soak plugs on a 2v overnight and they are not the plug that breaks off in the head. They are a standard shaped plug everyone has used for 80 years. Ford started using the 3v engine in 2004 with the new body style. Just make sure they are tightened properly and you will be ok.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:52 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
start the engine, and get it WARM to the touch. you DO NOT WANT IT HOT!!
ONLY WARM ENOUGH THAT IT HAS A LITTLE HEAT INTO IT!!

after removing the coil, blow the hole out with compressed air. remove the plug, and put the new plug in, torquing it down to no more than 15 ft lbs.
under 11 ft pounds the plugs will loosen up and blow out, and more than 15 lbs, and you take the chance of stripping the threads out of the head.
before putting the coil back on, change the boot. they are only $5 from napa, and cheap insurance that will ensure you will not have to pull it back of to replace the boot in a month or so.

if you follow there instructions, you will have no problems at all.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:32 PM
ISUsuperduty
Junior User
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm a lot less stressed over this deal. Thanks again.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Majikdog
Freshman User
I can contest to that theory

Originally Posted by Stone Mathews
I did mine about 5,000 miles ago (at 79,000 miles.) There are numerous threads on this website that go into great detail about how to change these plugs. Racerguy's thread on it was my fav.

It is a pain. It takes a long time the first time you do it. You MUST have a torque wrench and numerous socket extensions. That is all I'll say at this point. Do a search on the forums and you will find all you need to know.

Bottom line, find out the torque setting for your engine, and follow the directions to a "T".

Don't be afraid to do it. My truck really came to life after the new plugs, and leaving them in there forever isn't an option. Plenty of people have had them blow out after 100,000 miles on the plugs. (Note that I do not think blow outs are as common as we all believe.)

Good luck!!

Stone
I got my 99 250 5.4l w/8k on it now 165k and haven't replaced anything on it(plugs/cops/belt/pumps/injectors)

Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 PM
wfo440
New User
I just replaced mine in my 03 with 70,000 on it. It had an engine skip under a load at about 80 in 5th gear. I found water in 3 of the plug cavities when I blew them out after pulling plug caps off. You could see the white ring around the plug cap where it had been sitting in water. I coated the top of the plug cap where it seats on the valve cover with dielectric grease. Runs great now. I also measured the plug gaps on the old plugs and they averaged .060-.065" gap. So not a bad idea to change them just for that reason.