1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

ugly rims!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:07 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ugly rims!!! Help

Ok i have these cragers on my truck, the pic is one of the fronts. The back are not as bad but not great at all by any means. I dont have much for money to spend on new rims right now. I was wondering if there is a way to make them not such a eyesore. I dont just want to rechrome them. Im looking for cheap here, any and all ideas welcome!!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:14 PM
48' fordster
Elder User
Well, real cheap would be sand blast them the pest you can then rattle can paint them then some clear coat from a can on top. It isn't the best but the better the prep the better the finished result. If you like the chrome you could try your best to lightly steel wool the rust and polish the best you can. Good luck

Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Originally Posted by 48' fordster
Well, real cheap would be sand blast them the pest you can then rattle can paint them then some clear coat from a can on top. It isn't the best but the better the prep the better the finished result. If you like the chrome you could try your best to lightly steel wool the rust and polish the best you can. Good luck
most of the chrome has peeled off!!! Would the sand blast take all off? is the chrome going to stay behind thats not already peeled?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
A quick and dirty would be to clean it all up with a wire brush on a drill or similar power tool and then leave the center section in metal and paint the rim either black or to match the truck. That wouldn't be "professional" but might give a decent look, or paint everything one color. I'd probably shoot on a primer and then cover with the paint.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:35 PM
TxF100
Senior User
I would do what others here said and sand blast them, then I would paint them with Wheel Coating paint that is for rims.

A cool gunmetal might look pretty awesome.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

in time i will buy a new set of rims but the truck is not going to be done for awhile, but it will be driven this summer for a little payoff trip to my self. NOthing is finner than Primer!lol

Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 PM
eanderson56
New User
I actually used the Dupli-Color wheel paint on my Mustang. It's an easy, cheap, quick fix. I bought the gunmetal and had a chrome trim ring, looks pretty nice to me.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TxF100
I would do what others here said and sand blast them, then I would paint them with Wheel Coating paint that is for rims.

A cool gunmetal might look pretty awesome.

I agree. torque thrust gray would be decent. Black would work, too.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 PM
TxF100
Senior User
Originally Posted by rtcalabrojr
in time i will buy a new set of rims but the truck is not going to be done for awhile, but it will be driven this summer for a little payoff trip to my self. NOthing is finner than Primer!lol
Come to Texas and help me weld in some panels and I buy the spray paint.... Your gallery shows what a great job you've done so far.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Acid (Phosphoric) dip 'em!

From Wikipedia;

Rust removal
Phosphoric acid may be used by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces to convert iron(III) oxide (rust) to a water-soluble phosphate compound. It is usually available as a greenish liquid, suitable for dipping (acid bath), but is more generally used as a component in a gel, commonly called naval jelly. As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces. Care must be taken to avoid acid burns of the skin and especially the eyes, but the residue is easily diluted with water. When sufficiently diluted, it can even be nutritious to plant life, containing the essential nutrients phosphorus and iron. It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer." It should not be directly introduced into surface water such as creeks or into drains, however. After treatment, the reddish-brown iron oxide will be converted to a black iron phosphate compound coating that may be scrubbed off. Multiple applications of phosphoric acid may be required to remove all rust. The resultant black compound can provide further corrosion resistance (such protection is somewhat provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes). After application and removal of rust using phosphoric acid compounds, the metal should be oiled (if to be used bare, as in a tool) or appropriately painted, by using a multiple coat process of primer, intermediate, and finish coats.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:15 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Would the phosphoric acid react with the metal in the center of the old cragers though? That might be a problem if it is magnesium or aluminum. Just asking because I don't know the answer. Chime in you chemists.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Rodger,

Just arrived from the chapter B/S thread

Chemically any phosphoric acid solution will react with most metals.
After seeing what happens to galvanized (zinc) surfaces on boat trailers with Ospho or Rust Mort I don't think it could be good for mags.
Nor is it going to do anything about the peeling chrome.

Personally I think Fordster's advice is best.
Just sand blast and paint them if you have no intention of trying to resurrect them.
It would probably be the quickest and longest lasting solution.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
That would be a good test for Mothers. They always seem to have the easiest rims to clean when demonstrating how good their products are.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Zookie400
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my vote is to sand blast and powdercoat them satin BLACK (its cheap)

Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
The biggest problem maybe to remove the chrome plating. Anyone have a good way of doing this?

Quick Reply: ugly rims!!! Help