Notices

glasscape

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 08:41 PM
df9000
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glasscape

any help how to install a glasscape on 2003 reg cab silding window?

Old 01-12-2003, 05:20 AM
zip63
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glasscape

Old 01-15-2003, 04:13 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glasscape

I did it on my F-250's sliding window. It wasn't hard, just make sure to take your time & don't rush. It also helps if you do it in warm conditions (so your gloveless hands don't freeze and so that it ahderes properly).

First, clean the glass well. I think the instructions indicated using a soapy water solution rather than windex. I used the soapy water & followed-up with some windex, too. Make sure the glass & surrounding trim are BONE DRY when done.

Then I got some painter's tape & temporarily taped the top of the roll to the roof of my cab to determine how it would line up. Once I was happy, I marked the location of the cut I needed for the right hand side (where the driver's side rear window meets the sliding glass part). I made a rough cut leaving about 2" - 3" extra above, below, and to the left. The right cut (where it meets the sliding glass) was a precision cut -- I did this using a T-shaped drywall cutting guide to ensure a pefect 90 degree angle.

I then started unrolling the backer & applying it to the glass a litle at a time (starting from the precision cut on the right), sliding a credit card over the film to make it adhere properly. You don't have any air bubble issues as this is a perforated film, just be careful not to stretch the glasscape film. Having an extra set of hands or a helper around would have made this a lot easier. It was kind of tough trying to position the adhesive perfectly with the weight of the film pulling back on me.

I then used an exacto knife to make precise cuts around all the trim with the excess hanging above, below, and to the left. I discovered that if I had an extra 1/16 of an inch I could tuck it BEHIND the trim that surrounds the glass.

My next cut was for the left-hand side of the sliding glass. I had to remove about an inch or so of material so that it didn't look weird -- have to make up for that approx. 1" of trim between the sliding window & the fixed window. Had to do the same for the passenger side window. The mounting & cutting procedure for the rest of the glasscape was the same as I described above.

The entire process took about 1.5 hours, but I'm convinced it would have taken me half the time if I had a helper holding the part that I didn't peel the adhesive off while I tried to line-up & adhere the rest. How does it look? Check out my gallery & let me know!

Hope this helps.